Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

replacing engine mounts on a VT

Stue

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
VT Engine mount - FINALL DONE!

:yeah:
Thanks for the advice fellas!! much appreciated. Took about an hour and a few swear words to get it done!

I found (and heres for interest of those who may have to do this in future), it is best to hava a mate working the jack (which is under the sump), bolt very loosely on the driver side the mount to the engine, and bolt the opposite (passenger side) mount very loosely to the chasis. The lower the jack down to just about touching and use a suitable bar such as a drift to manouvere the sump.

Because a jack tends to move the engine forward when raising the engine, and back when lowering, I found I had to (with care!) lever the sump forwards for the holes to line up. As the studs on the mount on the driver side are longer (as they are the ones going into the chasis) that the studs on the passenger side (these ones will be going into the engine), concentrate on getting the drivers side mount into place first. Just get the start of the studs through the chasis. Then lower very the jack slightly and using a breaker bar/ drift etc to manouvre the sump forward and use the jack to go either left or right (by just turnig the jack with the jacking bar). This gave enough manouvering to get the holes on the passenger side mount in line. Then lower just slightly and get all the nuts loosely on. Lower a little more and start to put the nuts more on. Then one person lower the jack, the other "wiggle" the engine from side to side from the top to ensure the mounts are sitting properly. Do the nuts up and your done!

And if your as stupid as me....it will only take a day and a half to get done!!!

Thanks to you guys who replied and assisted with advice!...Cheers.:yeah:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Good to see you got it done. How bad were your old mounts, were they broken or just sagging?

Stue

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
BOTH!, when looking at them on the car they looked fine, other than sagging of course, but when removed, both had huge cracks through them.....and the car has done 150,000 kms.

Not happy Jan!
But I appreciate very much your assistance!

kick-bak-au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Cheers guys. Just did a motor swap on my VT and this thread helped a lot with those pesky engine mounts. An Engine crane plus jack under the trans did the trick for me.
Removing the steering pump helps and unbolting the air con compressor from the engine gives lots of room to work with. Just swing the compressor out of the way and
tie up with a piece of wire. Unless you wish to pay for a re-gas, do not undo compressor hoses.

Aaronandsoph

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commadore 2002
Hi how do i get the nut off my engine mount near the oil part on the passangers side theres not much movement and the nut just wont budge