Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Roadworthy Checklist

Rmyers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EA falcon
gtr34_crazy said:
im going with s0sage here i dont see why to low or tow loud can make your car dangerous ?

Too loud is not considered dangerous, but it does cause noise pollution hence it being frowned upon. Too low however can be dangerous as if your car is less than 100mm off the ground, you risk bottoming out in the case of a tyre blowout. That's the main reason for it being illegal...

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well, too loud is because we all have to keep noise levels down, whether it be at home or on the road. This is more common courtesy then anything I feel. Keeps the general public happy because some guy isn't driving past at 4am in the morning making your windows rattle.

As for being too low, as long as you maintain a minimum ground clearance its fine. Otherwise your running into troubles with everything else. Bottoming out, having to take things at angles, not being able to drive normally. Running the risk of undercarriage damage etc.

And Sosage.. I bet I could find something to fault the car - Nearly positive

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
bextor84 said:
And Sosage.. I bet I could find something to fault the car - Nearly positive

Like what kind of things.. Let's just say my stock Commodore has just been freshly serviced..

What kind of things can you find?

I know it depends on the car. But is it possible for you to find anything wrong with a well taken care of, reasonably late model car?

And is it possible for a cop (being legal)?

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
As with a car being too loud - whether it be engine noise (exhaust/extractors/whatever) or stereo (decibel level) - it IS dangerous, simply because if you're driving around with a kickass drone on your exhaust, or a "pumping" stereo you won't be able to hear emergency vehicle right up your ass. I admit to it myself, I sometimes can't physically hear them, but there hasn't been a time when I didn't get out the way of a code three alarm, cause I can see them.

as with "is it possible for a cop car to be illegal" - if you're referring to unroadworthyness, yes. Someone I know got pulled over for driving his "runaround car" it was only just unroadworthy - looked like shiiit. The copper pulled over the guy, checked the car, and told the guy he's going home with a defective notice. The guy who was being real nice to the copper asked why he had such and such wrong with the police squad car. Literally told the copper that his vehicle was unroadworthy - the guy was a tested for vicroads and noticed something was unalligned making it a "major" defect.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
get a life and stop complaining

greengopher said:
ok no probs ;)
it was just that there was one guy last night who posted the same question in at least 3 different sections.
it gets a bit annoying when the same question pops up :rolleyes:
get a life goghper or a girl all you do is complain. do you own a car to coplain about? or are you just here to make mindless complaints to others......your a prime example of some 1 who need to get a life..... :hit: idiot

R

rattattack1313

justbad4you said:
get a life goghper or a girl all you do is complain. do you own a car to coplain about? or are you just here to make mindless complaints to others......your a prime example of some 1 who need to get a life..... :hit: idiot
FFS...settle down....................................EVERYBODY

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
In answer to the original question.

These are what is on a Victorian roadworthy test:

Wheels and tyres (tread, rim damage, rub, alignment)
Steering and suspension (aligned, ride height, balanced, condition etc)
Brakes (lining, damage)
Brake performance service brake % (brake test, over 80% will pass)
Parking brake (adjustment, application)
Seats and seat belts (damaged, loose, recline, movement, rips)
Lamps, signals, reflectors (working, cracks, faded, blink-rate, alignment)
Exhaust and emissions controls (noise, rust, complete)
Windscreen and windows (sandblast, cracks, breaks)
Body and chassis (welds, rust, damage)
Engine and driveline (leaks, mounts, bearings, joints, damage)
Other items
Modifications (engineers report, etc.)

all of the above assume relevant bushes, bearings, lugs, plugs etc etc etc are in safe and working order.

NB people can report cars for noise and smoke, EPA takes these reports seriousely and can have your car tested. you can be charged by both the police and the EPA for these offences.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
the mechanic issuing a dodgy RWC won't necessarily lose their liscence. they can just claim that it was roadworthy when they saw it.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
stocky said:
yeah its because of a dodgy roadworthy that i had to get $300 worth of stuff repaired to my car after i bought it.

this is precisely the abuse of roadworthy certificates i was mentioning in my earlier post..
i DO NOT abuse my rwc's by whacking them on shitboxes that are clearly not.

REMEMBER - coppers are NOT trained RWC mechanics .. if they decide that for some reason, the boot garnish on your VN should be grey instead of white or black or blue or whatever.. they CAN WRITE IT UP.... ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING they write on that sheet of paper becomes UNROADWORTHY unless you can be screwed challenging it through months of court crap.

i give you an example of a defect notice i had. (i was pulled over for taking off too fast from a red light. no speeding, no wheelspin, i just had a P plate and the country town copper decided i needed to be checked over)

this is WORD for WORD as i read it off the defect notice before me
1x smashed headlight - drivers side (reality, it had a nick across the glass)
1x diff to be repaired to where operational (WTF was that?? written down PURELY to make up 7 objects to where it becomes a MAJOR defect notice and requires removal by vicroads --- how the hell does a car get 100km from where its garaged with an inoperational diff?? this just shows his incompetence)
1x LHR tyre under inflated (he kicked it .. did not have a pressure guage on him)
1x RHR tyre under inflated (again he kicked it.. apparently thats an accurate measure)
1x undersized steer wheel (ill give him this one . my wheel was undersized by 3cm - i know that law well enough to know)
2x indicators to be made operational or removed (i had a vp front end on my vn and the side indicators had the globes out as i was converting back to vn. i dont argue with this one. i removed them)

7 objects in total to make a major defect notice.. majority of them horseshit.. so what the HELL am i supposed to have fixed on the diff?? hrmm? haha
as i said .. a bullshit defect notice deserves nothing more than a bullshit roadworthy certificate.

THIS is what i use them for. NOT to onsell rubbish vehicles. and bextor mate, ive had my fairlane up on the hoist as it got a LEGITIMATE roadworthy when i got it registered .. and in addition to the two mechanics going over it, i went over it myself. trust me when i say, its in RWC shape.

end novel

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
s0sage said:
REMEMBER - coppers are NOT trained RWC mechanics .. if they decide that for some reason, the boot garnish on your VN should be grey instead of white or black or blue or whatever.. they CAN WRITE IT UP.... ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING they write on that sheet of paper becomes UNROADWORTHY unless you can be screwed challenging it through months of court crap.

yep, it's your job to prove that the car IS roadworthy.