Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Fuel Economy

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah thats off my trip computer, it's at 14.6l/100k now but thats mostly because i took it for a 30 min drive on the freeway.

What do you guys set the "km's to go" option at when you start your car up? Mine is at 500km, does that effect the consumption reading at all?

Cheers for all your advice ill have to check some of it out, i might be getting a new exhaust so we'll see if that improves the economy..

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Yeah thats off my trip computer, it's at 14.6l/100k now but thats mostly because i took it for a 30 min drive on the freeway.

What do you guys set the "km's to go" option at when you start your car up? Mine is at 500km, does that effect the consumption reading at all?

Cheers for all your advice ill have to check some of it out, i might be getting a new exhaust so we'll see if that improves the economy..

You set it to how many km's you have left to travel on a trip and it calculates how long it will take. Good if you have people that ask "Are we there yet?" and you can say "No, but we will be in approximately 74 minutes so shut up!"

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Sorry i meant the option where it says how many km's till empty :p

my bad, shoulda been more specific

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
Don't trust the trip computer. Fill the tank up to the brim, even when it clicks off keep filling until it's about to start pouring out. Then drive it for a few hundred kms then fill it up the same way (right to the top) and calculate actual litres put in per hundred kms.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Don't trust the trip computer. Fill the tank up to the brim, even when it clicks off keep filling until it's about to start pouring out. Then drive it for a few hundred kms then fill it up the same way (right to the top) and calculate actual litres put in per hundred kms.

your wasting fuel doing that, cause it will fill the charcoal canister and just pump raw fuel back through your intake

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ill try that adam, measuring how much im actually using...just a question, are the fuel gauge and computer related? Or do they run on their own merits.

Iv'e done around 250km on this tank its got about 1/3 of a tank left according to the gauge, and the computer says i have about 200km of more travel till the tank is empty, im not sure what to believe-if any :S

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
I've calculated that my fuel gauge is 5 to 10L out.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Damn dude, I am getting about 11.6/100km at the moment out of mine. Had it for about 3 weeks now :) I went on a cruise on Sunday where we drove from Perth -> gingin -> Toodyay (wa of course) and got it down to 10.6/100kms. Did about 350kms on just above half a tank. When I give it a caining though it does go up to about 14.2/100. I drive 25kms from home -> work and then back again every day and then the travel in between. Consistently with this sort of driving I average about 12.6/100kms.

Hope that helps ya dude :)

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
thats crazy low...mine is at 340 k's on the trip and its just hit the red zone