Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SV6 Fuel Economy

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
One way to find out for sure is to fill up a jerrycan with fuel, stick it in the car, and then just drive the car as far as she'll go...

Haven't been game enough to try it. But it'd settle it!

It is not a good idea to run the car out of fuel as you risk overheating the fuel pump that needs fuel (immersed) to keep it cool.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Poorly informed advice...
It WILL NOT fill the charcoal cannister if you drive 15 - 20 km. It will therefore not pump raw fuel back through the intake.

does everyone drive 15-20 km's after filling up? im usually on my way home and the stations i fill at is 1km away,

im sorry but ill always fill to the first or second click-off

schteven

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
i dont have to travel far at all to a servo
i dont like filling right up or im the one that has to drive my mates around

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I fill up on way home, maybe 10k's from home. Second click or so or whateva gets me to the nearest round dollar amount

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
does everyone drive 15-20 km's after filling up? im usually on my way home and the stations i fill at is 1km away,

im sorry but ill always fill to the first or second click-off

So do i especially when the holden manual says to fill until the first click, unless you are going to drive more than 50kms straight up

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I've been averaging about 15L/100 (true figure, not trip computer) driving very conservatively. I used to get about 11-12L/100 driving spiritedly. Holden tells me this is because its Winter! Most of my driving is short trips so apparently, the engine doesn't warm up enough before i get to work, about 7km trip.

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
I've been averaging about 15L/100 (true figure, not trip computer) driving very conservatively. I used to get about 11-12L/100 driving spiritedly. Holden tells me this is because its Winter! Most of my driving is short trips so apparently, the engine doesn't warm up enough before i get to work, about 7km trip.

At the moment my drives to work and home have been getting me about 12L/100km and its about 7kms too. I think the cold weather does have something to do with it because I was getting better economy in the warmer months, well see how spring goes i guess.

Juan

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Commodore
A car is a ballistic object and the faster you drive the greater the air drag.
There is usually a sweet spot for every style and power car unfortunately it usually never corrosponds with normal traffic speed limits .
My Vz alloytech by the computer gets 11.5 Ltr/100k city and 10 Ltr /100k freeway. Two people and a bit of luggage.
I think that some cars need the milage calculation calibrated and the fuel total calibrated but don't ask me how to do it. It is explained in the manual but I can't make sense of it yet.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
At the moment my drives to work and home have been getting me about 12L/100km and its about 7kms too. I think the cold weather does have something to do with it because I was getting better economy in the warmer months, well see how spring goes i guess.

I would agree with that. The cooler and denser the air the more fuel the ecu can put in to make more power.

shnobble

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 05 SV6
hey kicker - i'm in about the same boat as you. My fuel consumption is around the 15-16/100 region. I do pretty much 90% city driving. Usually get the very low fuel warning around 350Klms oc city driving.

I thought it was just cheap holden engine management and thats the kind of figures to expect... judging by some of the other comments on here though - sounds like I should be getting better fuel economy.

I gotta take it for a service soon anyway - damn change engine oil and 60K service warnings coming up... even though i've just had them done like a month ago. damn holden service - anyone else recommend someone different? like ultra tune or something?