Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Teens get takeaway at fatal crash site

berlitza05

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve wagon
howdy havnt posted for a while but a quite a few of the replys scares the S*&^ out of me ,so long as you stay involved with a trauma victim until some one more qualified arrives at the scene you are greatly covered by the "good samaritan act" the easiest to understand link i could find covering different states
Army - The Soldiers' Newspaper

6leeta

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
GREEN VE SS
That is a tragedy, although it was selfish for the teens to stand there and do absolutely nothing they legally didnt do anything wrong besides driving unrego'd/unlicensed, it is the most sensible & legal thing to do if the people involved are critically injured as they might of gotten themselves in more strife than if they did do something like cause more injury to the persons which could of lead to a legal proceeding, i would of thought calling the ambulance & keeping the elderly victims company while assistance arrived would of been the smartest thing to do in this case but it was obvious they weren't to distressed if they were thinking about food.

Although i know being unlicensed & unregistered makes the driver of the subaru in the wrong instantly, i wonder who actually caused the accident in the first place? the media's story was purely about the kids getting fast food at the scene of a crash which seems a bit excessive to me. Sounds like an easy kick to spice up the headlines a little and point the finger/headline directly at the teens which legally did nothing wrong except the driver who was driving illegally?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
I still remain amazed at everyone being so ****ed off with the food thing.

Perhaps the dimwits(that would be anyone stupid enough to end up inside the subaru with the creton driver) thought that calling the "meat wagon" meant ordering maccas?

Static89

I Am Ironman.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1
what stressball said about the CPR thin g is correct from my understanding i had to do live electrical rescue and CPR for my apprenticeship if you start CPR you are legally responsibly for that person untill somone else takes over EG a paramedic or someone else thats knows what to do.thats what i was told anyways, and im really not confident in what im doing >.> i cant remember the compression to breaths ration or anythign anymore, so i seriously doubt i could do it in a high stress situation like that, but id atleast go over to the other car and try and help them,but when i had my crash i was fine for the first 10 mins , thenit hit me how close i came to getting seriously injured, and i sorta just lost it, and the whole mcdonalds thing, my mates did the same thing >.> saw me get out of my car, they were coming down the street, they had gone to get food n they pulled up n gave em some >.> so yeah >.>

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
A certain older member should really learn to link when trying to prove someone wrong.

Just incase your memory ha left you

Wikipedia

Low_VX_Taxi

Blanned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blundstone boots
Unfortunately just more confirmation that you really aren't a nice person, and no I dont have it in for young people......just people making imbecilic comments....no matter how old they are.
Hey buddy... Chin up. No need to have it in for yourself....

Cheers pal!
CSP

Vote one for call of the month :thumbsup:

O.T I would assist to my best capacity, this means I wouldn't move the victim (unless there is a risk of them being further injured where they are I.E petrol leak and open flame) I wouldn't provide CPR as I can't perform it correctly and may cause further damage rather than help, I also would not touch any blood without gloves or something to prevent skin contact, simple fact of I am happy not having Aids Hep C etc and know how easily these can be transmitted through blood. Dying of these is not a fun occurance.....

Still even if you were/were not at fault and people were already rendering assistance don't go get some takeaway, thats just friggen rude to the person fighting for their life!

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
So all the dimwits youths want to justify the idiocy here, advocate doing nothing in case someone is going to sue them? Please provide a link listing all the people in australia that have sued people that gave them cpr?
First aid is about ensuring that anything simple can be done that could stop the victim dying. It could be that may mean something as simple as pulling an obstruction from their airways, applying a torniquet to stop massive bleeding or it could mean applying cpr. Waiting around for an ambulance to arrive and pronounce them dead is an option for the weak.
If the victim is not in immediate danger, it is a good idea not to move them if they are not in danger of injury from fire etc, then doing nothing can be deemed okay.

Most people wouldn't have had any first aid training and wouldn't know what to do other than call an ambulance. I doubt these youths would know what a tourniquet is yet alone how to apply one. I don't doubt that there is some truth to the concern people bring up regading litigation against first aider. When I did my first aid training with St Johns once we were qualified we received free insurance that covered our arses against litigation. We were told of cases were victims turned around and sued their good samaritan first aiders. So for them to be giving this litogation insurance surely there must be some truth in it.

I am not sure if any legislation has been passed to protect first aiders from being sued last time I checked i believe that certain states had put measures in place to protect first aiders and other hadn't. I don't have to time to go searching for all the answers but I really do think what these guys are saying is feasible.

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
Our military training is the same training paramedics receive and is done so under the same federal guidelines as every other person. The only difference is we go beyond CPR and learn how to fix wounds such as sucking chest wounds etc.

I'm not sure which medics you are referring to but it's not quite there yet. But it's getting close. (I've been a Medic too for just a while or more)

Erm, render assistance DOES NOT mean give CPR. Calling an Ambo driver is rendering assistance, they have met the obligation. I would do the same, call emergency services, then wait. I am in no way a professional Ambo driver, so no way in hell I am touching strangers, besides, if their is blood about who knows what they have that you could catch...

True many are scared and that is a fair point. However when your actions may have led to the death or serious injury of another then a bit more than a halfwitted call to the Emergency Services might help. People these days only do what they have to do not what they should do--that's the problem.

=minux;950892]Since when does it require training to drive a vehicle? It was a wrx, bit bloody whoopy, it wasn't a formmula1 car.

People should BUY what they like, after all it is THEIR money.

Seriously, it ****s me to tears hearing people say it was the cars fault. BLAME THE ****ING DRIVER FOR ONCE. Just like guns do not kill people, cars do not kill people either. The ******** behind them does the killing.

I'm blaming the driver in a car he is not trained to drive. Car's are not shopping trolleys. We could use the same arguments for firearms. Anyone really can load and pull the trigger on the weapon OR they go and complete proper weapons training. yes it is their money. However if you are disqualified then you don't drive it and if you do you take some responsibility for your rod use.

what stressball said about the CPR thin g is correct from my understanding i had to do live electrical rescue and CPR for my apprenticeship if you start CPR you are legally responsibly for that person untill somone else takes over EG a paramedic or someone else thats knows what to do.thats what i was told anyways, and im really not confident in what im doing

Once you start CPR there is NO legal obligation to continue whatsoever. It's an old wives tail of First Aid instructors. There are many reasons to stop CPR, you are exhausted, you become injured, they die, you are repulsed and ill by what you see and so on, so there's no real reason to compel it legally.

I am not sure if any legislation has been passed to protect first aiders from being sued last time I checked i believe that certain states had put measures in place to protect first aiders and other hadn't. I don't have to time to go searching for all the answers but I really do think what these guys are saying is feasible.

No Australian First Aider has ever been sue for providing first aid. A court will apply the rule of the reasonable man test in any similar situation. That is what would a reasonable first aider do in a similar situation? If you were providing reasonable care then you are safe. Besides Ambulance call Takers are trained to guide you through first aid including CPR and even child birth!

You could even check your Holden owners Manual and there are first aid tips inside.

ProphetVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Pushie
Who said anything about moving them???? All we are talking about is taking immediate action to stop them dying from something as obvious as large external bleeding, not breathing etc. Of course dimwits can wait ten minutes for an ambulance to arrive(sorry that cant be guaranteed even next to an ambo station) and pronounce them dead if they wish, as has been mentioned there is no law against the inept/weak doing nothing.
Please provide us with just one occurence where people have applied pressure to a spurting major artery that has resulted in causing a lethal internal injury and that they would have survived if some dimwit did nothing! I wont hold my breath! Maybe its happened once, what about the 99 people that could have been saved if someone had done something!
Yet every action you've mentioned requires in most cases for the victim to be moved. Unless you are qualified to assess the situation, you do not know what assistance you should be providing. Do you honestly think internal bleeding and spinal injuries are not common in accidents where an impact in the case of hitting a stationary object is generally at least 60kmh, or a head on is generally at least 100kmh? These injuries are almost always present in serious accidents. Fractured ribs in particular are a dangerous scenario and very common.

The only thing in most cases anyone should be doing is to try and calm down the victim, and lower their heart rate. Anything else is like flipping a coin unless you're trained.

Try telling the family of the person you just killed because you were apparently trying to save them, when all that was needed was to wait for paramedics to arrive.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
LOL, this thread has gone way off, as usual........

To me rendering assistance could mean anything, just sitting with the person and talking to them, keeping an eye on them and do as much as possible with endangering myself or the victim! If someone is trapped in a car, conscious, why wouldn't you try and keep them calm and try to talk to them until medics arrive?

If you're not capable of doing First Aid, then don't attempt to. If you are certified, then you have a moral, and i'm pretty sure legal (although how anyone will know) obligation to do as much as you can.