Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

the best speakers

HEKYEH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged 2010 VE SS-V
What about Hybrid Audio Technologies? Their speakers have won more IASCA SQ comps than ALL OTHER speaker manufacturers COMBINED.

I guess they must be doing something right.....

Plus Scott Buwalda, owner of HAT, is the only person to ever receive a perfect score in IASCA SQ.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
You must admit though, most on here don't have the knowledge or expertise to mix and match components and tune. The recommendation of the Kit 7's was more a piss take than anything else. Most people crap their pants at the price of them. And yes I have heard them incar:)

this is true, although if you really want people to crap their pants at expensive speakers why not suggest Micro Precision Z-studio instead :p just a pair of the tweeters cost $6k

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Focals was the first thing that popped into my head.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
^Focals are good, but you will sure as hell pay to get the good ones. The entry level ones are merely average imho.

If you want good speakers and don't want to mortgage your house to pay for them you need to look beyond the 'car audio' brands...

Personally i'm running these:
Usher 8945A 7" Woofers - literally one of the cleanest midbass speakers money can buy. Highly acclaimed amongst the DIY home audio community. Quite large and difficult to mount in a car. They just fit in my VY with some custom fibreglass mounts.
6465319611_56a677d818_z.jpg

Fountek FR89EX 3" Midranges - there are midranges that play cleaner but they are large and awkward to mount in a car. These are small enough to fit on the dash/A-pillars. Cheap too.
6895337076_dcd544d564_z.jpg

Vifa NE19VTT-04 3/4" Tweeters (bottom right) - again, compact, reasonably priced and perform well. The founteks play reasonably high so you just need a tweeter to take care of the top octave, these will do it.
7108270045_56e3970ec1_b.jpg

Total cost ~$450. The deal breaker for most people would be that you have to make your own crossover (quite difficult, need knowledge and measurement equipment), or use a digital sound processor (capable headunit or standalone processor). Personally i'm using a standalone processor and two 4-channel amps.
The other thing is that the installation is absolutely critical to make them sound any good. For me this means custom fibreglass door pods (they didn't fit in the stock VT-VZ plastic mounts) and custom fibreglass pillars to house the mids and tweeters. If you aren't any good at doing fibreglass, expect to pay a shop $500-1k to do this alone.

If you want a decent 'off the shelf' solution, i've heard good things about DLS 'Ultimate' 2-way and 3-way components. Reasonably priced too.

Last edited:

beej2beej

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE ssv A6
i have the jl audio c5s in the doors of my ute and i get a hard on every time i hear them, for me i find for the price they are pretty decent (i paid 510, they retail around 700) not the loudest speaker but for my rock/metal/hip hop/ rnb/ dubstep they do the job nicely, just trying to find a good bang for buck (around 400-500rms) sub that i can mount in a custom enclosure that will sound better than the slim line one i have.

Y.B.SHY

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F GTS
Focal no7 all the way, and yes I've heard them, I've had them for over 3 years. I've also heard most other speakers use around the car audio sceen.

I have been around the industry for over 10 years and whilst I admit ther are several other brands that sound excellent nothing compairs to the 6W3 and Tbe drives that make up the kit 7.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
After demo'ing Focals years ago I wouldn't even bother listening to them, I wasn't a fan :p

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline

tallvy2berlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Berlina hail damaged
yea price isnt a big issue for things, phone bill, insurance and petrol are litterally my only expenses. and when your a bricky apprentice its awesome cause it pays good and i have nothing to spend my money on :D

What about saving and building your own place either live in or rent?