Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Motorcycle Thread - anything and everything

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Having a walk back through photos. Quite a bike orientated family, Well use to be.

My First Bike. It was a fun little bike you did not have to give 2 shits about.

IMG_0386.jpg

Here is my brothers FZR1000. After this purchase my father decided it was time to get back on 2 wheels after 20 years.
IMG_0159.jpg

Here is my GS500F Next to my fathers SV1000S
IMG_0269.jpg

My brother sold his FZR1000, Then a little while later decided to buy a SV650 Naked. That was a great bike to ride, good amount of power with out going 3 times the speed of sound in 3 seconds.
IMG_0503.jpg

This photo is my fathers SV1000S next to his partners SV650S. By this time i had sold the GS500F, And she was kind enough to let me go for a ride with the old man.
Screen%20Shot%202016-11-18%20at%208.08.55%20AM.jpg

And now currently, My brother and I are bikeless, And the old man does not have his bikes registered due to the cost of living. Been around 5 years since any of us have been out on the bikes. The itch never dies to be on 2 wheels.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Nice to there are a few other riders on here

My list -

2012 cbr 250 for when I was on my re class licence
2001 fxstdi softail deuce for my first big boy bike

2005 50th anniversary Yamaha YZF R1 - current

Looking to build a Harley in the not to distant future as well

Duno if the pics work but heres the link
http://imgur.com/a/bi3Wq
http://imgur.com/6JrVoYk

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
lots of nice bikes here
I've had a bike of some description for many years

My first bike - a second hand, very well used 82 Suzuki GSX250 - what a power house lol :) But necessary back then, no LAMS bikes back then. Was restricted to a 250 and I didn't like 2 strokes. I picked the Suzuki, because I loved the 82 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana as a kid. So this is the closest relative I could ride and afford..... I have fond memories of it, being my first bike, but reality was it was a heavy, poor handling, slow piece of crap :p

img003_zpsjvv3wioc.jpg

I soon tired of the old slug, and upgraded to a 88 FZR250. That's my younger brother posing there with the bike lol :) It hammered compared to the old Suzi, but had to rev the crap out of it. 4cylinder 250, about 45hp, 19,000RPM redline! Sounded like a F1 engine at those RPM. It used to sit at around 9000RPM at 100kph, which got annoying after a while.

14249820_1777123125858746_7902750555144657153_o_zps2ayg7mdi.jpg

my current machine 89 Yamaha FZR1000, which I've owned now for around 12 years. I've been gradually restoring it, replacing bits with NOS and parts from Yamaha in the US. It's an awesome bike, had a 1/10 scale model of one in my early 20's, always wanted this exact model. It's got the EXUP valve in the exhaust, so has really strong low and midrange as well as an impressive top end for it's vintage. Was awarded sports bike of the decade in Europe. 145hp, 20 valve, 5 speed gearbox. Back in the day a bike mag test recorded a 10.2 quarter mile time. 0-100 in 2.9 seconds and top speed of around 280kph. Not too shabby for an old girl. Mick Doohan raced them back in the late 80's with success. Love everything about them, apart from adjusting valve clearances which is a prick of a job! ;)

Img_1478_sm_zpsb5jkq35o.jpg

Img_1493_zpskmozu08t.jpg

Last edited:

crew_man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 Reserve Edition Sportwagon
My current bike is a Honda RVF400. I absolutely love it and spend plenty of time at the track on it.

I love the fact that they just don't make bikes like it anymore. Some nifty features are:
- 400cc V4 engine
- Single sided swingarm
- USD forks
- Dual front discs with big calipers
- Great packaging and geometry
- Fantastic handling

I love the fact that they went all out on it as a race replica, rather than letting it become a mass produced bike for the masses.
Since I bought it a few years ago I have done the following:
- Replaced exhaust with full Titanium and Carbon system
- Cleaned, rebuilt and re-jetted carbs
- New tyres and bearings
- Li-ion battery
- Adjustable levers
- Double bubble screen

Here is my build thread:
http://www.miniriders.com/road-bikes/41478-sikkos-rvf400.html

It's a great feeling on the track when you can battle with much bigger bikes due to the fact that it is a fantastic handling machine.

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Well I had an awesome weekend of riding! Test road both the Street Glide...

20161204_162150.jpg

And Chieftain...
IMG_20161204_161910_01.jpg

I had about an hour on the Harley and I still have the Indian. Taking it back at lunch time today. Love they let you have weekend demo rides. Road out to and up/down Mt Macedon yesterday. Saturday afternoon was a ride around Melbourne and surrounds visiting friends who are also keen for a bike but I'm going to be the one that pulls the trigger and starts the process for all of us I think.

So the Harley was impressive. But it's also my first time riding a Harley so I have no Harley baseline so I can't relate to all the "it's SO much better than any Harley ever" hype around the new engine. I can compare it to my Yamaha V Star XVS1100 Classic from years ago though. Better overall but honestly, not $20k+ better). Lots of torque and exceptionally comfy to sit on. There's some vibration through the handlebars which was initially bothersome but I got used to it. All in all though, I wasn't as impressed as I expected myself to be. Certainly not when it comes to the prospect of dropping $38k on one.

Then the Indian. Now I love the Indians but I prefer the looks and sound of the Harley. That's not to say the Indian doesn't look are sound awesome, because it does and does. It's just a personal preference thing. And it was Harleys I had on my wall growing up...

When it comes to riding it though, WOW!!! It shits all over the Harley. So smooth, vibration free, more torque and a feeling of a far more modern bike. It's impressing what they've done - modern engineering in a classic style. It was also more nimble and wanted to turn easier. A credit to both bikes is they do a very good job of shrinking underneath you. By that I mean both of them feel like much smaller bikes when you're riding them. The only negative for the riding experience on the Indian was the tailbone ache. And without wanting to spend $1000+ on a seat to replace the stock one (I did on my $15,000 Yamaha but I don't think it's something you should have to factor in when spending $35,000+ on a bike). The Harley seat I could have sat in all day without a care in the world.

Both bikes had slip on pipes on them and both bike sounded PERFECT to me because of that. Both bikes without them sound like hair dryers (they started stock bikes in the showrooms). The noise was nice without being obnoxious. So it's RRP + pipes + highway pegs as a minimum when I decide which one to buy.

Onto the less substantial... The stereos - Indian wins this one. More powerful and impressive speed dependant volume. I almost never had to adjust the volume. Harley was very tinny and I found myself constantly adjusting the volume. In fairness I didn't spend as much time on the Harley so it may just be getting to know it better. Sat nav - Harley wins. Indian doesn't have it. Controls - Harley wins. More ergonomic and just easier to use. Fairing, in terms of looks Harley wins, in terms of extra driving lights and less buffeting, Indian wins. At 100km + I could electrically raise the windscreen on the Indian and had absolutely zero wind buffeting. Both bikes I credit for having practically no leg wind head buffeting. I had slightly more leg room on the Indian and the Harley wins when it comes to braking. I would, and have, happily ridden bikes without windscreens so the wind issue is only about long ride comfort. Not a deciding factor.

So what am I leaning towards... At this exact point in time I prefer riding the Indian. But I worry about seat comfort. Oh hang on, I forgot, suspension is a lay down mazaire to Indian. WOW! Absorbs all the bumps and just stays smooth and poised the whole time, never unsettled. The Harley is far more floaty and tends to undulate front to rear (see-saw) over bumps which then unsettles the bike. Never feels out of control, just less confident. Granted I had not set the spring tension for me so that can likely be fixed on the Harley. But as they were, I couldn't fault the Indian. But yeah, seat comfort is a worry. It's arguably the most important thing for a tourer. So would I prefer some vibrations or a sore bum?

An interesting bonus to the Indian is the electronic locking (Harley's are key) hard saddle bags. They're quick release on both bikes so you can take them off but on the Indian you still have full fairing so it looks like a Chief Classic at the back. Take the Harley's off and it exposes all the suspension and running gear. Honestly though I can't think of a time you'd want to ride without them. Dumping everything out of my pockets into one, having my jacket and gloves in the other, having wet weather gear, a clear visor, sunnies, etc. I mean, you buy a bagger because you like the bags so...... they'd stay on.

Verdict: I can sort of predict the following conversation at some point in the future.

"You said you loved riding the Indian and preferred the ride to the Harley so why'd you buy the Harley?"

"Because it's a Harley!"

And if there's some inferiorities to it, but I still have a comfortable, enjoyable experience, I can live with them...

But it is a REALLY hard decision. I'd honestly love to have either of them in my garage. I will be test riding them both again in the new year when we're back from Canada and the USA. I will ride them in reverse order this time. Indian first, then onto the Harley.

2000000001.jpg

indian_1811_chieftain_2017_700px.jpg

And to throw a massive spanner in the works, Indian also have the Vintage which looks AMAZING!!!

F440EE14-1296-47B7-B7C1-A7F8001BB8C3.jpg

Last edited:

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Indian sound (ignore the video quality - it was shot on a iPhone 6 Plus but sent via a shitty mobile data connection so the phone dropped the quality a lot).

ChewieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6
Enjoy the process Sheldon. Good luck with whichever one you buy. (My choice would be the Indian, if I was into that style of bike.) Also as you'll see below, I think gloss black is the way to go!

I have had well over 25 bikes over the last 45 years since I got my license. Many sport bikes including 2 Zx12R Kawasakis. I now have 3 Triumph Speed Triples, a 1996, a 2004 and a 2010 as my main bike. For me, the Speed Triple is the perfect bike. I do everything on it including touring. This is my 2010 model,

PC050001.JPG

This is the 2004
PC050002.JPG

The 96

P2100001.JPG

A recent one, 2.3lt Triumph Rocket 3

P10510006.JPG

Last edited:

ChewieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6
DSC05743.jpg

I picked this up on Monday.
After giving up bikes about 40 years ago I was also bitten by the bug again.

That is a nice clean bike. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but if you haven't been riding for 40 years, it would be a real good idea to do some rider training. Guys who return to riding after 30-40 years are well over represented in accident statistics, many of them thinking they know it all. Just saying......

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Wow Chewie! They look awesome! Definitely one of the more unusual frames I've seen. Comfy? Must be for touring. Looks like a similar riding position to my B King... I really wish I had have kept that bike!
P1010577.jpg

P1010576.jpg

Sheldon Cooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
String Theory
Found some old old pics of my V Star XVS1100A Classic...

207141_6059622889_4091_n.jpg

208669_6059612889_3592_n.jpg