Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC V8 brakes

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
I did have it in paper form years back but have misplaced it in a move....Might have even misplaced it in a bin....
things have changed, its the future, old paper sh*t was donkey years ago and doesn"t mean anything

It used to be available online, but they have simplified the modifications page (it's actually far better than it was) and provided an email for vehicle specifications, assume these are the people who will email you back with the braking requirements once you provide proposed vehicle & engine changes.
Sounds like you 2 need some actual info as you indicate you don’t really know, just guessing/assuming so both being in SA

Ring David Gunner, he is the Coordinator for Engineering and Vehicle Standards Operational Services down @ Government for South Australia Depart for Infrastructure and Transport Road @ Road And Marine Services Division affectionally known as “REGENCY” try phone numbers 131084 / 1300882248 nice people to deal within the vehicle standards section and set you straight with every detail you need to know.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Are you 100% on that? Can anyone post a picture of a factory 4.2 vc commodore with drum brakes on the back?
As I posted in previous message #21 cars plated 8VX were factory 4 wheel disk brakes regardless what engine they had, all other factory models 8VK/8VL were rear drum brakes again regardless what engine they had.

So a 253 plated 8VK could be factory “optioned” to rear disk brakes, if the 8VX had a factory 253 it was already rear wheel disk but would have had the small 8 Bolt diff like the 6cyl.

That is pretty simple to understand regardless what any pictures say, its the model and options pack it came with, plus any illegal changes people done over the years.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
That is the problem with manuals, they just cover the standard models.
yeah the sh*t aftermarket manuals do that :p
but not the original factory service manuals :D

Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As I posted in previous message #21 cars plated 8VX were factory 4 wheel disk brakes regardless what engine they had, all other factory models 8VK/8VL were rear drum brakes again regardless what engine they had.

Can you post up a picture of where you got said information

Which tag are you getting this information off? ie, the other information on that tag

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I did have it in paper form years back but have misplaced it in a move....Might have even misplaced it in a bin....

Thanks for the info anyways...Appreciate it :)
I think the email for answers is the go.

Rules change, we have had different rules applied on the same conversion dependant on the time it was done.
I remember having to change fuel filler neck even though leaded fuel was not available because they were still using that rule at the time :rolleyes:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline

Rules change, we have had different rules applied on the same conversion dependant on the time it was done.
I remember having to change fuel filler neck even though leaded fuel was not available because they were still using that rule at the time :rolleyes:
The stupidity of the narrow neck fuel filler when leaded fuel was no longer available. When I bought my VH into the country it still had the wide neck fuel filter, because it was a private import I didn't have to change it. Likewise with the catalytic converter. $10,000 fine for you not having one, ok for me.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Yes good idea, but call me old school but I'd probably walk into the transport office at Regency to get the document.....

Agreed, some of the rules make you shake your head.....