Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC V8 brakes

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Are you sure about that?If any 253 commodores had drums on the back it would be only a few hundred vb's all the vc 253 commodores I ever remember seeing had disks on the rear with the small diff.
factory 4 wheel disk had nothing to do with 253/308 v8 engines
factory 4 wheel disk were 8VX plated models whether they where 6 cyl or v8
factory rear drum brakes came in 8VK/8VL plated models
The models that had 4 wheel disk non standard factory for models were factory allowed "options" for rear disk especially the 308 V8's.

I think you are getting confused with diff size and thinking 253 came out with 10 bolt diffs like the 308 had and so would be 4 wheel disk. Most 253 engine cars unless "optioned" would have had the small 6cyl 8 bolt diff with rear drum brakes.

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
I just recall reading years back to do with brake upgrade requirements with an engine change for a roadworthy in S.A, that if a 253 was fitted, drums would suffice and if it was a 308/304, discs were a must...
If a 253 carby engine was fitted, the law does not call for rear disks as the car would have been factory rear drums, the same applies to 308 carby engines.

The law however is different for the more modern 304 as they are EFI motor having more KW power than an old crusty 308, yes the status was for 4 wheel disk however the rquirement was/is to upgrade to larger front disk size (for more EFI KW power output) and also has to be compatiable with original factory rear disk size brake bias.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
4 wheel disk. Most 253 engine cars unless "optioned" would have had the small 6cyl 8 bolt diff with rear drum brakes.
Are you 100% on that? Can anyone post a picture of a factory 4.2 vc commodore with drum brakes on the back?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Are you 100% on that? Can anyone post a picture of a factory 4.2 vc commodore with drum brakes on the back?

Can't do that....Tried finding the relevant documentation but couldn't relating to brakes with engine swaps in early model commodores in S.A

Going from memory, when swapping to a V8, you had to use the same brakes the vehicle came with from factory....253's they allowed drums, with optional discs, where as 308/5.0 had to be discs.....Drums were a no no

Just a shame I can't find the documentation to back it up...

Oh and if it were me doing the swap, discs all the way...

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Can't do that....Tried finding the relevant documentation but couldn't relating to brakes with engine swaps in early model commodores in S.A

Going from memory, when swapping to a V8, you had to use the same brakes the vehicle came with from factory....253's they allowed drums, with optional discs, where as 308/5.0 had to be discs.....Drums were a no no

Just a shame I can't find the documentation to back it up...

Oh and if it were me doing the swap, discs all the way...
It used to be available online, but they have simplified the modifications page (it's actually far better than it was) and provided an email for vehicle specifications, assume these are the people who will email you back with the braking requirements once you provide proposed vehicle & engine changes.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It used to be available online, but they have simplified the modifications page (it's actually far better than it was) and provided an email for vehicle specifications, assume these are the people who will email you back with the braking requirements once you provide proposed vehicle & engine changes.

I did have it in paper form years back but have misplaced it in a move....Might have even misplaced it in a bin....

Thanks for the info anyways...Appreciate it :)

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Max Ellery. The front and rear brakes fitted to VB-VH SLE models and the VK Calais model rear brakes use a calliper and disc brake system. While the standard rear brake system use a drum brake.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Max Ellery. The front and rear brakes fitted to VB-VH SLE models and the VK Calais model rear brakes use a calliper and disc brake system. While the standard rear brake system use a drum brake.

I have that manual and looked in it, but didn't see that.....So thanks for posting it :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

My VK BT1 had rear discs.