Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

VEL_070

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi guys,

First post to these forums so be gentle. :)

Great forums too by the way !

I took delivery of my VF SSV Redline about 6 weeks ago, great car, and I think they have done a beautiful job inside compared to the VE.

Anyway, from day one I've had this rattling kind of noise under acceleration, initially I thought it maybe a heat shield slightly loose or something, then a friend of mine said it might be the engine pinging as it does have that kind of sound. I took it back to the dealership and they couldn't find any error codes logged and told me it's likely a fuel issue and to use a different brand fuel for a while and see how it goes, and come back if no improvement.

Well I've tried different brand fuel (all 98 octane) and no change, in fact I think the noise has gotten worse.

I took it back to the dealership again (last week) and they said the engine definately not pinging. They are still insisting that it's a fuel issue which I find very hard to believe. This thing is making quite a noise, it's bloody annoying and very uninspiring to drive the car.

Has anyone had or currently have the same issue, and does anyone have any idea on what this noise could be / what the cause ??

Appreciate some feedback, and thanks.

Regards,
Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Hey Matt! Sucks to have such a niggling issue with such a nice brand new car. Thankfully, it sounds more annoying than significant.

Can you elaborate on "rattling noise under acceleration"? Where does it sound like it's coming from? Can you here it when stationary and revving in neutral or is it only under load? Can you hear it from outside the car? Have you turned off the A/C and closed all the vents? Is it mechanical (metal) or plastic sounding?

Best thing would be an audio or video of the noise.

Telling you "it's a fuel issue" is just a cop out because they don't want to try and find the problem. Have they acknowledged that it's there and it shouldn't be?

Last edited:

VEL_070

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hey Matt! Sucks to have such a niggling issue with such a nice brand new car. Thankfully, it sounds more annoying than significant.

Can you elaborate on "rattling noise under acceleration"? Where does it sound like it's coming from? Can you here it when stationary and revving in neutral or is it only under load? Can you hear it from outside the car? Have you turned off the A/C and closed all the vents? Is it mechanical (metal) or plastic sounding?

Best thing would be an audio or video of the noise.

Telling you "it's a fuel issue" is just a cop out because they don't want to try and find the problem. Have they acknowledged that it's there and it shouldn't be?

Hi Rajesh,

Many thanks for your reply.

The sound is definately coming from the engine bay, and can only be heard under load. If I back off the accelerator and just let it cruise you can't hear the 'rattling/pinging' noise. The noise is is not noticeable when stationary and you revving the engine.

Yes you can hear it from outside the car. It is quite loud when I have the window down, not so bad when window is up and is barely noticeable when I have the radio going.

The noise there with aircon on or off, makes no difference.

It is a machanical (metal) sounding noise, 100% not plastic sounding.

Re the audio or video recording, unfortunately difficult to do given the noise is only evident under load whilst driving.

The dealership has certainly acknowledged that the noise is there but they said it was a fuel issue. The service guy even when as far as saying that one of their "engineers" took a look and also said it was fuel related. I'm no mechanic but even I know this is not a fuel related issue !

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Hi Rajesh,

Many thanks for your reply.

The sound is definately coming from the engine bay, and can only be heard under load. If I back off the accelerator and just let it cruise you can't hear the 'rattling/pinging' noise. The noise is is not noticeable when stationary and you revving the engine.

Yes you can hear it from outside the car. It is quite loud when I have the window down, not so bad when window is up and is barely noticeable when I have the radio going.

The noise there with aircon on or off, makes no difference.

It is a machanical (metal) sounding noise, 100% not plastic sounding.

Re the audio or video recording, unfortunately difficult to do given the noise is only evident under load whilst driving.

The dealership has certainly acknowledged that the noise is there but they said it was a fuel issue. The service guy even when as far as saying that one of their "engineers" took a look and also said it was fuel related. I'm no mechanic but even I know this is not a fuel related issue !

I had what sounds like a similar issue with one of my SSV's. Turned out to be one of the heat shields in the engine bay that was loose and rattling around when driving down the road under certain conditions. Probably not the same problem as you but something to look at anyway

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I agree with Reaper but you've already said it's not heat shield. Where have you checked your heat shield?

The lose heat shield I had made a noise like it was coming from the bottom of the driver's a-pillar. Definitely mechanical metallic type noise. It turned out it was exhaust heat shield under the car near the gearbox or even just behind the gearbox.

Try without the engine cover on. It deadens some of the sound from the engine so if the sound is the same, at least it's less likely to be the engine.

If you hadn't said you've already checked the heat shielding I'd be 90% certain it's what the noise is...

Actually just re-reading your post Matt, you said you thought it was the heat shield. Have you actually checked it? I mean checked it EVERYWHERE? It's easy to fold off anything it's rattling against.

Last edited:

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Just out of morbid curiosity, I'd run it down to empty and give it a gutful of E85. Completely changes the fuel dynamic - if noise is still present then, certainly not a fuel issue.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Are you able to post a video with sound of the noise. This will help with the diagnosis. Does the noise still exist if you accelerate while stationary.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
lol.. Massive oxymoron - I was gonna say the same thing!

I think he means "accelerate from stationery" or "accelerate from a standstill" :)

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Possibly - rev the engine while in neutral?