Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS oil change

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What uses the Z30 now, is the old 308 filter? I remember the filter on my V6 being about the same size as my LS.

Only red/blue/black 6's and not sure when then stopped with the V8's....Whether it was in the 304's or later

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What uses the Z30 now, is the old 308 filter? I remember the filter on my V6 being about the same size as my LS.

The V6 used the Z154 which is a bit smaller than the Z160.

Only red/blue/black 6's and not sure when then stopped with the V8's....Whether it was in the 304's or later

I thought they changed over with the VN's which also have a different lower radiator hose (no kink around the oil filter)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The V6 used the Z154 which is a bit smaller than the Z160.

I thought they changed over with the VN's which also have a different lower radiator hose (no kink around the oil filter)

I'm not sure with the V8's. of that era...Maybe another member can chime in to help us out.... :)

EDIT....If we go by google, the VN V8's take a Z160....So I could assume that continues upto the VT

The V6 definately changed filters as you have mentioned....

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Compared with a V8, the oil gets extremely dirty much faster with the SV6 (LFX) engine and for that reason, I change the oil in mine every 6 months. 9 months and only 3000km's in one LFX engine that had done 45000km's in total, the oil looked like it had been in a V8 for 2 years and 20000km's.

I've never had the oil analysed, but purely in the eyes of 40+ years in the trade, the oil gets too dirty for me in the LFX engine to leave for extended periods.

Interesting...we'll see how I go with it. I think it's extremely unlikely that I'll change it more often than yearly. I used to run a high-pressure turbo direct injection 2L and change it every two years, doing at most 8,000km in that time. I also ran a not-quite-as-high pressure turbo non-DI 2L on 1-2 year changes, about 20,000 km intervals. Oil was black as night when I drained it but I sold it when we moved earlier this year with 310,000 km and it ran like new, quiet valves, original chains, original turbo, engine never opened up...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Interestingly, I saw some photos of the trials V6 motors used for the development of the VN and it showed an oil filter that was twice the size, unfortunately If you see where the filter fits on the V6 next to the subframe there isn't enough room to get a much larger filter in there which is why I decided to go to a remote mount instead.

Another option was the stainless mesh type filter.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
This then begs the question why Holden switched to a smaller filter while Ford retained the Z9 until at least 2000, not sure if they used them past that date? With Holden I guess it could have been that they couldn't physically fit a longer filter, but IIRC there was still room to fit a fatter filer?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
This then begs the question why Holden switched to a smaller filter while Ford retained the Z9 until at least 2000, not sure if they used them past that date? With Holden I guess it could have been that they couldn't physically fit a longer filter, but IIRC there was still room to fit a fatter filer?

A mate has an AU XR8 and that has the smaller filter, due to an oil cooler...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My guess regarding the 304 filter there was definitely no room to fit anything larger, the engine only just fits in the Gen II's, hahahaha.

mstrjon32

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Unless I'm missing something...the VF doesn't have an oil life monitor of any sort, does it? If not, it's the first car I've owned since...1997? That doesn't have one. Pretty surprising they didn't include one.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
A mate has an AU XR8 and that has the smaller filter, due to an oil cooler...
I was referring to the straight six used up to the AU as that's all I know.