Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VN vs VT

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
2.5" catback exhaust, extractors, cold air intake inclosure, cold air intake system, twin thermo fans, stainless steel pipe running everything under the bonnet, sv3800 chip & memcal, stage 2 shift kit, corvette servo, 0.500" boost valve, 3.9 diff gears & V8 LSD..
thats a fair bit of power increase.. :p but im still an amatuer so yer :p

If its a Stock VT 5L then there shouldnt be much in it, you will kill it off the line with traction and beat it easy to 100, holding it off over th 1/4 is another thing, but i think you would hold it off, I have raced a mates VP 5L with paceys twin zorst Bigmouth CAI not tuned, best run out the drags from it was a 9.6, and i could hold it off over the 1/4 with my VN manual v6 2.5zorst 3.9 diff gears minispooled and abit of weight reduction, i didnt have the CAI on or the Foam tune because it was charged and i just took it back to stock.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There definatly are some slow VN and VP V6's around now but any well looked after VN with less than 250,000ks will still be quicker than anything up to the VZ 190 as the man above ^ has correcty pointed out :). My old V6 fell off it's peak after about 250,000 but it was still running to 100 in around 7.5 when I sold it to the kid up the road for 500 bucks:p

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Lets add a few good corners into the mix instead of just a straight line drag, V6 cars with factory standard suspension std v's std and fe2 v fe2 and standard wheels and tyres. The handling and dynamics have come a long way from 1988 to around 2003 and the VN's front end is basically out of a VB.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Lets add a few good corners into the mix instead of just a straight line drag, V6 cars with factory standard suspension std v's std and fe2 v fe2 and standard wheels and tyres. The handling and dynamics have come a long way from 1988 to around 2003 and the VN's front end is basically out of a VB.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the way mine handles.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Actually, I'm quite happy with the way mine handles.

Yeah so was I until I got into something a bit newer. Handling steering response and road feel are vastly improved even going from VX to VY. Remeber VN has a delete option for manual steering so there is not much positive castor.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Yeah so was I until I got into something a bit newer. Handling steering response and road feel are vastly improved even going from VX to VY. Remeber VN has a delete option for manual steering so there is not much positive castor.

I've driven my mates VT, and I personally felt mine felt like it held the road much better. Didn't sway as much either.

The only car I've driven that's been close to the handling of mine, is my dad's HQ Monaro, which he built getting it to handle really good...and even that was before I got my strut brace, now I've got that, I reckon mine would out do that aswell.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
There definatly are some slow VN and VP V6's around now but any well looked after VN with less than 250,000ks will still be quicker than anything up to the VZ 190 as the man above ^ has correcty pointed out :). My old V6 fell off it's peak after about 250,000 but it was still running to 100 in around 7.5 when I sold it to the kid up the road for 500 bucks:p

Im glad someone here understands what i was saying. You really have to own a decent VN to see why people say they are so quick. It sucks when my current VZ SV6 gets beat by a mildly worked VN :( At least i have comfort and good handling :)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Yeah some people are just crazy, you only have to go to a drag meeting once where some of these kinds of cars are running to have a clear picture of the truth. I wonder why anyone even argues about it. Fact is the VN manual V6 is the fastest V6 up to the VZ 190 and maybe even comparable to that over short distance. The VNS2/VP apart from having a less agressive tune is the quicker car but from the factory both with their original tunes the VN S1 is the fastest. On the internet you need to get it right because this forum could easily be archived for hundreds of years and someday someone might want to know :)

vp_commo

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exe
Well ive talked to alot of machanics and stuff and they all call autos sludge boxers. i was just wondering if it was true.

I think they are especially when standard.
I find the VN lacked in second gear where as thew VP can can climb in second quite well.
But the auto seemed to hold the change or somthing too long, I used to drop my foot off slightly just before the change (which was very very slow change), but it would really lift in second, which was the fun part, no good in a race though.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
u cant just say that ur car is faster than another car just cuz u beat 1 once or twice...also u cant really rely on whats in wheels mags etc for acurate times cuz they are testing 1 car of that model...not all engines are they same. i've driven quick vn v6's and slow ones....quick vt's and slow ones all of them standard...its just the way things are, nothings built identical.