Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5.0L questions

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
So ls2 is series 1 SS VE?
LS2 only ever came in the HSV variants, it’s a common misconception people have that their ve or vf 6L ss, Calais etc is an LS2, the main differences between the LS2 and L98,L76,L77 is the heads and intake manifold the LS2 has cathedral port heads like the older LS1 where as the the L98,L76,L77 all have the rec port heads just like the LS3, also the cam is different too

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I just put a years rego on my SS
$108.23
Thank you Deuce but I really didn't want to know that. With the amount of k's we do a year we would be better off with the NZ rego, petrol prices.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
LS2 only ever came in the HSV variants, it’s a common misconception people have that their ve or vf 6L ss, Calais etc is an LS2, the main differences between the LS2 and L98,L76,L77 is the heads and intake manifold the LS2 has cathedral port heads like the older LS1 where as the the L98,L76,L77 all have the rec port heads just like the LS3, also the cam is different too
Cheers mate. So the l98 is capable of making decent power with full N/A mods, or do they really need boost to be quick? Talking for streetable daily driver

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
All engines are capable of making decent power....The problem lies with, once you start modifying, you want more power......Becomes an addiction......

Yes, newer engines make more power than older ones, but the principal is still the same

Very slippery slope, we have all gone down and are still going down... :)

Finally, not putting you off modifying.....Pointing out what we all get sucked into....Me included... :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cheers mate. So the l98 is capable of making decent power with full N/A mods, or do they really need boost to be quick? Talking for streetable daily driver
Like I said earlier L98 power gets boring pretty quick. Need boost to make them go OK.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
All engines are capable of making decent power....The problem lies with, once you start modifying, you want more power......Becomes an addiction......

Yes, newer engines make more power than older ones, but the principal is still the same

Very slippery slope, we have all gone down and are still going down... :)

Finally, not putting you off modifying.....Pointing out what we all get sucked into....Me included... :)
Yep, the power “bug” inside us begins itching us everytime we apply a modification

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Yep, the power “bug” inside us begins itching us everytime we apply a modification
With extractors, exhaust, cold air and exhaust you can pick up 50 rwkw and still have a mild mannered car with better economy with a l98 or similar and run 13's. Yes you can go with the big cam or blower. It really depends what you want to do and how deep are your pockets. Remember a big horsepower car might drive like a pig. It might sound good for bragging rights but when a lesser horsepower car beats you off the line because you can't get traction you might wonder why you bothered.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
With extractors, exhaust, cold air and exhaust you can pick up 50 rwkw and still have a mild mannered car with better economy with a l98 or similar and run 13's. Yes you can go with the big cam or blower. It really depends what you want to do and how deep are your pockets. Remember a big horsepower car might drive like a pig. It might sound good for bragging rights but when a lesser horsepower car beats you off the line because you can't get traction you might wonder why you bothered.
Totally agree mate. Definitely get to a point when modifying a car where extra power/ upgrades won’t net much more usable power but extra wheel spin (assuming a street driven car).

I think if I get a VE SS, I’ll do full exhaust (extractors, cats and catback), big cam, OTR and tune, and 3.7 diff gears. And of course a high stall converter appropriate for the camshaft upgrade. That way, still tractable and streetable, but plenty of power available. Not to mention the sound either

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't bother with a cam. Cams are annoying and basically useless on the street on the most part..
As for loss of traction, meh, that won't be an issue on a VE with decent tyre and TC on.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I wouldn't bother with a cam. Cams are annoying and basically useless on the street on the most part..
Are you talking about the power/ torque not really being noticeable, or the fact that low end will be reduced and a pain to get moving down the lower rev range?