Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5.0L questions

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Are you talking about the power/ torque not really being noticeable, or the fact that low end will be reduced and a pain to get moving down the lower rev range?
Have a look at any cam maker and see what rev range their cams operate.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Are you talking about the power/ torque not really being noticeable, or the fact that low end will be reduced and a pain to get moving down the lower rev range?
Can't remember the specs on mine but its one of the most popular crow cams they have for the 6L. It pigs real bad at 1400 but is OK everywhere else. Doesn't really start coming alive until at least 3k then pulls hard from about 4k-5k. On the street I rarely hit 4k, so really is pretty wasted 99% of the time. Had I had boost, I'd have instant torque. I have thought about head work and manifold to help get it going in the low end but big dollars for not a huge gain. I don't think the L98 goes very well with a cam and bolt-ons, opinions may vary but what I consider powerful and what others consider powerful might be worlds apart.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can't remember the specs on mine but its one of the most popular crow cams they have for the 6L. It pigs real bad at 1400 but is OK everywhere else. Doesn't really start coming alive until at least 3k then pulls hard from about 4k-5k. On the street I rarely hit 4k, so really is pretty wasted 99% of the time. Had I had boost, I'd have instant torque. I have thought about head work and manifold to help get it going in the low end but big dollars for not a huge gain. I don't think the L98 goes very well with a cam and bolt-ons, opinions may vary but what I consider powerful and what others consider powerful might be worlds apart.
For me a car has to be tractible. It has to be enjoyable to drive. Ok if you are going to live at the drag strip or the race track. Losh from what you have said previously I think your car would be better served with a blower than the cam you have. However the cost to change would be astronomical and far exceed the worth of your ute. Not knowing (or caring) about your wealth you might be stuck with what you have.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
For me a car has to be tractible. It has to be enjoyable to drive. Ok if you are going to live at he drag strip or the race track. Losh from what you have said previously I think your car would be better served with a blower than the cam you have. However the cost to change would be astronomical and far exceed the worth of your ute. Not knowing (or caring) about your wealth you might be stuck with what you have.
Exactly Keith. It's fine but if I didn't have a cam, and knowing now the limitations of a cam I personally wouldn't fit one, I don't think they are this magic wand that those without one tend to think they are. Mine was bought with the cam and not worth going back to standard, and sinking $4k or so at the same time, as it drives ok and might be useful once I do a few runs on the strip. But general duties, a cam I personally don't think it's worth the outlay..

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Prior to buying a VE SS ute I (we) owned a VY SS series 2 ute. It was good and a big step up from a VS Ute. However the shift to a VE SS was a huge improvement. Yes I did go down the Cold air, extractors, exhaust and tune but it didn't need it. It was such a wonderful vehicle to drive. Holden had really made a fantastic job of the VE.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Prior to buying a VE SS ute I (we) owned a VY SS series 2 ute. It was good and a big step up from a VS Ute. However the shift to a VE SS was a huge improvement. Yes I did go down the Cold air, extractors, exhaust and tune but it didn't need it. It was such a wonderful vehicle to drive. Holden had really made a fantastic job of the VE.
Awesome car! The SV6 and SS sedans handle brilliant on hilly roads and in general. Very composed

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

Awesome car! The SV6 and SS sedans handle brilliant on hilly roads and in general. Very composed
I agree there. I found the VR not a bad cruiser on long trips. But the VE punches above its weight. I have to drive work cars and they are newer than the ute but the ute is just better to drive than those. It's more comfortable and just feels nicer on the road.

We have a 2015 Outlander and I prefer to take the ute on longer trips even though the fuel costs are over 50% more. While I might say the L98 hasn't got a huge amount of power, that's comparative to an LS2 or LS3, or especially a boosted V8; the 6L pulls decent with a lot less effort and stuffing around with cars that need to kick down a few gears to get going. For a DD the 6L are pretty decent. I'd just like more grunt but that hurts the hip pocket a lot.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree there. I found the VR not a bad cruiser on long trips. But the VE punches above its weight. I have to drive work cars and they are newer than the ute but the ute is just better to drive than those. It's more comfortable and just feels nicer on the road.

We have a 2015 Outlander and I prefer to take the ute on longer trips even though the fuel costs are over 50% more. While I might say the L98 hasn't got a huge amount of power, that's comparative to an LS2 or LS3, or especially a boosted V8; the 6L pulls decent with a lot less effort and stuffing around with cars that need to kick down a few gears to get going. For a DD the 6L are pretty decent. I'd just like more grunt but that hurts the hip pocket a lot.
The L98 might not have the same power as an LS2 but that was to do with the tune and the L98 being able to run on 91 petrol whereas the LS2 needed higher octane. When tuned the L98 put out 10 rwkw more than the LS2 with the same tune. They put it down to the L98 having better cylinder heads.