Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VW Vs EPA drama ?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Ok - for those who think VW did pass the emissions test legitimately - put simply they didn't. Temporarily changing operating parameters to pass a test and then resetting them for normal use does not in any shape or form constitute passing a test.

Bob Lutz on the subject: VW faces 'about the worst situation': Ex-GM exec

If this problem was found to be an inadvertent error this story would be over within a few weeks - VW cop a fine, recall/rectify the problem and move on, no bigee. The problem is that VW by design set out to deliberately and wilfully deceive and circumvent emissions standards which is a whole new ball game. Then there is a small matter of what to do with 11 million or so cars which it would appear the best minds in the rest of the auto industry can't figure out how to get their claimed performance & emissions all in the 1 package. In truth I'd suspect most owners wouldn't care about the emissions bit however dangle the carrot of potential compensation (aka free money) and I'm tipping most will start caring very quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/business/international/volkswagen-diesel-car-scandal.html?_r=0

One thing I've gotta say - there would have been many people involved in engineering the emissions and engine control systems for these cars and it's got me fkded how they managed to keep it quiet for such a long time.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Last edited by a moderator:

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Now you are lying.

If you say so...

"There is no worse blind man than the one who doesn't want to see. There is no worse deaf man than the want who doesn't want to hear. And there is no worse madman than the one who doesn't want to understand."

Ok - for those who think VW did pass the emissions test legitimately - put simply they didn't. Temporarily changing operating parameters to pass a test and then resetting them for normal use does not in any shape or form constitute passing a test.

Bob Lutz on the subject: VW faces 'about the worst situation': Ex-GM exec

If this problem was found to be an inadvertent error this story would be over within a few weeks - VW cop a fine, recall/rectify the problem and move on, no bigee. The problem is that VW by design set out to deliberately and wilfully deceive and circumvent emissions standards which is a whole new ball game. Then there is a small matter of what to do with 11 million or so cars which it would appear the best minds in the rest of the auto industry can't figure out how to get their claimed performance & emissions all in the 1 package. In truth I'd suspect most owners wouldn't care about the emissions bit however dangle the carrot of potential compensation (aka free money) and I'm tipping most will start caring very quickly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/23/business/international/volkswagen-diesel-car-scandal.html?_r=0

One thing I've gotta say - there would have been many people involved in engineering the emissions and engine control systems for these cars and it's got me fkded how they managed to keep it quiet for such a long time.

I think this going to work out with a simple Catalytic Converter and stop talking about it; the general populous forget easy. Those idiots blew a big can of worms and is affecting lots of markets. When they are start tapping on GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc... and find out their very test is not so good after all... you get the point.

By the way... if they are that bad, where is the Global Warming?

The jackals say.... Volkswagen scandal leads palladium to best weekly gain in 4 years

I say they pass the test; they outsmarted the scammers in their own game and they are pissed.

Have some laughs...

Last edited by a moderator:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
OK, this is getting bigger by the week.

Audi have now admitted that some of their vehicles are affected and Skoda must have been caught up in it too as they use so much VW architecture. Just how many vehicles will eventually be involved, even VW probably can't say for sure.

In Australia, the Golf had been increasing its market share steadily over recent years and has been in the top 10 for some time. I wonder what effect this issue will have on sales of new Golfs and other VW models, if any. And are Australian spec VW's affected?

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
"There is no worse blind man than the one who doesn't want to see. There is no worse deaf man than the want who doesn't want to hear. And there is no worse madman than the one who doesn't want to understand"

Couldn't agree more.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
"There is no worse blind man than the one who doesn't want to see. There is no worse deaf man than the want who doesn't want to hear. And there is no worse madman than the one who doesn't want to understand."

By the way... if they are that bad, where is the Global Warming?

If you don't see the irony here I don't think there's much help for you.

People love action, if a movie goes for more than an hour and a half they get impatient so climate change that happens over a long period is something many people say well I don't notice it year on year therefore - it's a non-issue!

Climate change is something that has happened across generations, it is a problem that is bigger than your lifespan much like evolution it is only observable over time and it has already been well documented for you to research and open your eyes to see, indeed there is nothing worse than a blind man who does not want to see.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Science tell us the earth was way much warmer and colder before the industrial revolution. Is a known science fact found in artic core samples. So far, this year, no superstorm as was supposed to happen and climate chance is a fancy blanket term that tomorrow will be cold, maybe warm next day, **** happens.

Yes, this VW thing is big but makes me wonder... why VW? Went to the fuel station and saw a GM Duranax belching black smoke everywhere... the driver thought was funny. But is more funny, in a dark way, the German are gassing us with clean burning Diesel.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Science tell us the earth was way much warmer and colder before the industrial revolution. Is a known science fact found in artic core samples. So far, this year, no superstorm as was supposed to happen and climate chance is a fancy blanket term that tomorrow will be cold, maybe warm next day, **** happens.

Yes, this VW thing is big but makes me wonder... why VW? Went to the fuel station and saw a GM Duranax belching black smoke everywhere... the driver thought was funny. But is more funny, in a dark way, the German are gassing us with clean burning Diesel.

You seem to be very selective on which scientific facts you accept and which you don't ie you accept those which support your argument but don't accept those which don't. Not very scientific!!!! Instead of accepting what 95% of scientists have proved you are quoting the 5% lunatic fringe and quoting it as "science".

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

Why VW? Fraud.

Maybe listen to actual scientists before throwing out general random statements.

https://www.science.org.au/climatechange

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That's the thing with any debate, find evidence to support your arguments. Scientific data is the same, you can find data to support your agenda if you only look at certain time frames.

VW manipulated their software to pass emissions testing in California. This was to pass the CARB's stringent standards so the car can be sold in California. One small market compared to the rest of the world. It meets standards just about everywhere else. I don't believe it's as much a conspiracy against VW as Skydrol seems to think, but I also don't think it's that big a deal. How many people here that argue "green" and are pro man made climate change have actually modified/tuned their cars?