Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vz 3.6 alloytech rough idle

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
Its weird because its a really really rough idle then after a restart its good as gold

vc213

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I had a rough idle and knocking feeling when I got a "check drivetrain" message on the display. Turned out to be Oxygen Sensor. Happened again soon after without the warning message and it was another Oxy sensor.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
My VZ Alloytech has a very rough idle,it is either idiling a bit low or there is some other problem.
I have just recently purcheased the car and on idle the car kind of trembles a little.Anyone with any ideas?

Regarding the rough idle....check the grade of oil you've got in your engine.
Handbook recommends 10W-30 engine oil .
I've used the heavier grade 15W-40 and it caused a vibration and slight shake at idle.
The lighter grade oil doesn't put as much load on motor (runs smoother and gives me about 0.3 litres/100k better fuel economy.

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Regarding the rough idle....check the grade of oil you've got in your engine.
Handbook recommends 10W-30 engine oil .
I've used the heavier grade 15W-40 and it caused a vibration and slight shake at idle.
The lighter grade oil doesn't put as much load on motor (runs smoother and gives me about 0.3 litres/100k better fuel economy.

using an oil with a thicker grade than 10w-30 plays problems with vvt actuators

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
alot of times it'd your throttle body that needs cleaning (intake pipes)........ if u rev ur car alot (take it to the max revs)....... it coughs up some oil into the intake pipes and causes it to run rough.

i have to clean mine every few months.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
big problem with the V6's is the harmonic balancer might be shitting itself, i would very quickly check this out or get the car inspected by a mechanic..

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450

Weekend Warrior

Waghoon
Reaction score
Website
www.streetwagons.com
Members Ride
Black VZ Wagon
mine shakes to shithouse when running on gas at idle. Im talking really bad.

On petrol you can barely feel it but it is still there.

I've taken it back to the gas place and they checked the whole system but couldn't find any problem with the gas system. The reason it shakes more on LPG is because gas is a much harder fuel to ignite so ignition problems show up a lot more. The gas guy seemed to think it would be spark plugs or coil pack....but i've had both replaced recently and the problem is still there!

Any ideas?

clarky_bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6 Alloytec
mine shakes to shithouse when running on gas at idle. Im talking really bad.

On petrol you can barely feel it but it is still there.

I've taken it back to the gas place and they checked the whole system but couldn't find any problem with the gas system. The reason it shakes more on LPG is because gas is a much harder fuel to ignite so ignition problems show up a lot more. The gas guy seemed to think it would be spark plugs or coil pack....but i've had both replaced recently and the problem is still there!

Any ideas?

My alloytec on gas runs a bit rough at idle , the gas injector hoses are quite long and I think that the auto correction is getting delayed due to the length of the gas hoses causing a slight lope at idle, it still responds fine so I don't worry ( I'm an installer)