Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What deal did you get for your vf series 2????

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Maybe if every 'emotional purchaser' bought these cars in greater numbers then we wouldn't be having this discussion.
well said, its emotional for me. The maloo i have was bought second hand but this different...the last v8 i will EVER be able to walk into a dealer and purchase brand spanking new, and one that i will be be keeping for quite a few more years yet.i dont want a pissy fake v6 turbo.

What about an inline 6 turbo that would eat our Ls3's? Oh that's right no-one bought them either? Don't get me wrong, I'm lamenting the downfall of our car manufacturing industry as much as the next bloke, but everyone's crying now after the horse has bolted. Perhaps people should have been as willing to fork out top dollar for these cars a few years ago?

Last edited:

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Maybe if every 'emotional purchaser' bought these cars in greater numbers then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

What about an inline 6 turbo that would eat our Ls3's? Oh that's right no-one bought them either? Don't get me wrong, I'm lamenting the downfall of our car manufacturing industry as much as the next bloke, but everyone's crying now after the horse has bolted. Perhaps people should have forked out top dollar for these cars a few years ago?
And maybe the Government could have kept tariffs in place to protect Australian jobs rather than open the door to cheap low quality imports. Holden's problem was making cars people liked to keep (no I don't mean Astras and the like). Hopefully our MY17s will maintain the tradition

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
And maybe the Government could have kept tariffs in place to protect Australian jobs rather than open the door to cheap low quality imports. Holden's problem was making cars people liked to keep (no I don't mean Astras and the like). Hopefully our MY17s will maintain the tradition

Blaming the government is a cop-out. Commodore was the top selling vehicle for over ten years in a row. Then people decided to buy SUV's and Hilux's. Explain to me how that is the Governments fault? Or are you suggesting that Australian's are that stupid to buy the cheapest piece of crap on the market?

The writing for has been on the wall for commodore since the start of VE production, and yet even that wasn't enough to make Australians buy the product in numbers meaningful enough to ensure its future. But yet, now we see everyone coming out of the woodwork to complain about its downfall (and that of Holden manufacturing). If the car meant that much to us, people should have been bashing down the dealers doors to get their hands on one.

End of the day, we just never really wanted to believe we'd be without a local car. We wanted it at a bargain basement price and expected Holden and the government to keep coming to the party. Now it's all over and it's too late.

Last edited:

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
Blaming the government is a cop-out. Commodore was the top selling vehicle for over ten years in a row. Then people decided to buy SUV's and Hilux's. Explain to me how that is the Governments fault? Or are you suggesting that Australian's are that stupid to buy the cheapest piece of crap on the market?
Fair comment. I have never bought an SUV but I understand why people like them. I keep my cars for many years (current 7, previous 11) so I haven't helped. If you aren't interested in performance and space, it's hard to justify spending $60K on a Commodore when you can get all the goodies in an imported SUV for less than $40K that suits the family. And it's hard to justify spending $ when your current Holden Commodore is going well and servicing is cheap (except when there wont be another one).

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline

It was a combination of things that led to it, and yes the government played a big part with their flawed policies and eventual lack of support.
As for Australians being stupid, I believe that 100%. Go to whirlpool forum for instance and you will see people gushing over Hyundais and Kias and talking about them like they are the greatest cars ever made and can do no wrong. Its downright scary.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fair comment. I have never bought an SUV but I understand why people like them. I keep my cars for many years (current 7, previous 11) so I haven't helped. If you aren't interested in performance and space, it's hard to justify spending $60K on a Commodore when you can get all the goodies in an imported SUV for less than $40K that suits the family. And it's hard to justify spending $ when your current Holden Commodore is going well and servicing is cheap (except when there wont be another one).

The majority of commodores sold are SV6's, at the same price as the average 40k SUV. Australians tastes in cars have changed, which we as a nation, are entitled to do. But the point remains that many people are now wringing their hands over the death of our car manufacturing, when those very same people had the opportunity to prevent it. I take your valid points on board however.

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
It was a combination of things that led to it, and yes the government played a big part with their flawed policies and eventual lack of support.
As for Australians being stupid, I believe that 100%. Go to whirlpool forum for instance and you will see people gushing over Hyundais and Kias and talking about them like they are the greatest cars ever made and can do no wrong. Its downright scary.
And if they are anything like our Korean made Cruze, disc pads and brake rotors rooted at 60Km, Clutch rooted at 75K, Starter Motor, 2 batteries, headlight globes etc, etc apart from recalls vs VE Commodore 75K - 1 battery, original disc pads and rotors, cheap servicing, etc

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
So if you really want the last Holden Commodore - order exactly what you want like I have, and get over the price because it may be a long wait for something better for the $

Well put.

Personally, it's not for me, but I can appreciate this thinking. Pay what you have to and enjoy the last V8 commodore.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride

Putting aside our collective loyalty to Holden, have you actually read reviews of the latest Kia's and Hyundai's? They are very good cars, and I think we'd be doing a disservice to ourselves to deny that.

Perhaps it was a combination of things which has led us to our current predicament, however, I'd suggest that our general indifference to local product wouldn't be the least of such.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
And if they are anything like our Korean made Cruze, disc pads and brake rotors rooted at 60Km, Clutch rooted at 75K, Starter Motor, 2 batteries, headlight globes etc, etc apart from recalls vs VE Commodore 75K - 1 battery, original disc pads and rotors, cheap servicing, etc

Well luckily they aren't anything like the Cruze.