Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What gear do you drive in? (economy issue...)

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
from as best as i can figure it i try to keep it runniong at around 2000rpm cause then if you go up a hill or something you dont have to put your foot down and its also not to bad on fuel ... so thats 40-50 = 3rd 50 - 60 = 4th 70 -80 = 5th 80+ = 6th

And if you know how to access "engineering mode" there is an item in there called "instant fuel use" and if you take your foot completely off the accelerator you are using no fuel, which i never understood how but gts33som said it runs on vacume ... so there you go ...

also i fail to see how holden would consider this abuse cause if you have an auto, they all do it. and when you have your cruise control on, if you are going down a hill it does it then to

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Just buy a automatic gear box!!!
PREPARE TO DUCK FLYING OBJECTS :flame:

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
also i fail to see how holden would consider this abuse cause if you have an auto, they all do it. and when you have your cruise control on, if you are going down a hill it does it then to
I'm not familiar with auto's really at all, was talking about manuals and using them to slow down, ill check it out tomorow in the car.

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
yeah check it out man ... i just like watching the instant fuel usage when you put your foot down it goes to like 60 L/p100

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
How do you get into engineering mode?

My vy ss sits happily at 60k in 5th or even 6th. Always in 6th at 100-110k at ~1500rpm don't need to drop for hills just to overtake :)

I understood engine braking used 0 gas because the wheels were driving the engine so the ecu didn't need to inject any fuel.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
i use 4th around town anything up to 80k's and only use sixth at 100 or above or it bogs down too much for my liking, still sit on around 13-14 L/100 with a little stick here and there.

CJY92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Cruising at 60k-70k can be in 5th but change to 4th for when i need to accelerate or for hill, and 6th gear once i get 80-90k.
Get roughly 620k from a tank with 9.5l/10.5l per 100k fuel consumption.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If your engine is labouring you are in the wrong gear.

Fuel consumption is a factor of both revs and throttle position. In Higher gears the engine will be doing less revs but need more throttle ( especially going up hills ) than it would if you were in a lower gear, but in the lower gear you do more revs. Going down hills use the highest gear possible to get best economy .... just be mindfull of the speed limit ( and keep watch for cops :)