Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Woops!

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Its been all over the tiktok as well. From there it looks like owner was not insured. Hope the workshop is insured. EIther way this will fall to an argument on value of this car.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If the owner of the car did not have his car insured then he is a fool. However even if it is insured it is unlikely to be the amount he has spent on the car. Proving the value of the car will be impossible. He will be reliant on the workshop doing the right thing by him and I wish him luck with that. My own experience is with shoddy work getting done plus as previously mentioned having my car taken for a spin, no success so far.

The person who crashed the car could perhaps consider himself unlucky that he was the one who crashed it and not one of his workmates. There seems to be a culture in that industry of taking someones modified car for a spin.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The workshop will just handball it to their insurance company if they have a policy that covers such idiocy. Then it becomes just another claim. And like any insurance claim the insurance company will just try and lowball you at every step. It will be up to you to define the worth of what their idiot client’s mechanic smashed.

In one sense such cars are irreplaceable as an of the shelf product. So I’d be pushing for the cost of a near similar product with the added costs to modify it once again to where it was before their idiot client broke it…

Whatever the case The owner will be having a few headaches trying to sort it out… Who knows, maybe at valuation of $150k, writing it off isn’t a given… You can do a lot of repairs for $120k ;)

PS: if the workshop is stupid and just doesn’t want to make a claim against their business insurance because their premium will increase, then QCAT is the best avenue for the vehicle owner. I’m sure when the workshop is presented with a court date their reluctance to claim will wane and they’ll be more sensible about it and actually hit up their insurance so they can focus on what workshops do… Really, they would now there is no way for the workshop to claim the vehicle wasn’t damaged while in their custody… and for that damage they’d have to pay…

@keith reed, did you consider legal action against the workshop that damaged your VH? The difficulty is how to prove they damaged your car… in the above case it’s obvious who crashed it as police were called to the scene of carnage…

Last edited:

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
And workshops whinge about people having dash cams running.

Hopefully they’ll cotton in to why many other businesses and organisations put their operations in plain sight of the customers. For example, many restaurants now have their kitchens viewable by the patrons.

It’s all part of a system that helps encourage the staff to be on best behaviour as they know anything they are doing could be observed. And why not? The argument about staff privacy is just a smokescreen - just what are the staff doing to, or in, your car that they need privacy!

Baldoldfart

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY
Insurance will never cover the replacement value, they might cover the cost of a similar unmodified car.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
The workshop will just handball it to their insurance company if they have a policy that covers such idiocy. Then it becomes just another claim. And like any insurance claim the insurance company will just try and lowball you at every step. It will be up to you to define the worth of what their idiot client’s mechanic smashed.

In one sense such cars are irreplaceable as an of the shelf product. So I’d be pushing for the cost of a near similar product with the added costs to modify it once again to where it was before their idiot client broke it…

Whatever the case The owner will be having a few headaches trying to sort it out… Who knows, maybe at valuation of $150k, writing it off isn’t a given… You can do a lot of repairs for $120k ;)

PS: if the workshop is stupid and just doesn’t want to make a claim against their business insurance because their premium will increase, then QCAT is the best avenue for the vehicle owner. I’m sure when the workshop is presented with a court date their reluctance to claim will wane and they’ll be more sensible about it and actually hit up their insurance so they can focus on what workshops do… Really, they would now there is no way for the workshop to claim the vehicle wasn’t damaged while in their custody… and for that damage they’d have to pay…

@keith reed, did you consider legal action against the workshop that damaged your VH? The difficulty is how to prove they damaged your car… in the above case it’s obvious who crashed it as police were called to the scene of carnage…
No I didn't. The cost of taking legal action for the auto could have outweighed the cost of repairs. Judges might know something about law but zilch when it comes to cars. The broken rings were taken care of when the motor came out once again for a leaking rear main seal.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
If that was my car I would not want it repaired. To me it would never be the same. Could you trust the repairer to do a proper job? To me the car is tainted.

If there is any justice he should have a car in the same condition as when it went in. It would not have to be the same car.

Is there any justice? Hopefully we get to hear what happens. It would be good if someone on the forum knows him. I wish him luck and think he is going to need it

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
There seems to be a culture in that industry of taking someones modified car for a spin.
I used to work at Moorooka on the magic mile and saw it all the time. Mechanics flogging the crap out of peoples cars that were in for service.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I used to work at Moorooka on the magic mile and saw it all the time. Mechanics flogging the crap out of peoples cars that were in for service.
LLewellyn's from what I have heard are the same.