Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Woops!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If I owned a car like that it wouldn't be left with some mechanic to do who knows what with it.

Not long ago a very expensive supercar was written off here in the same way, mechanic took it for a "check ride" after working on it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I used to work at Moorooka on the magic mile and saw it all the time. Mechanics flogging the crap out of peoples cars that were in for service.
Had my Motorsport edition serviced a while ago and as always I requested they don’t drive it without me being present.

Got it back with 25km more on the odo and the fuel consumption reading having jumped from 15l/100kms to 28l/100kms. And I was assured it wasn’t driven and that the fuel consumption is because it was idling for a lengthy period… Bullshite to both excuses...

Now I always decline the Uber drop off and pick up. I hang around during the service so I can see if it goes anywhere… Oddly since doing that there has never been more on the odo than when it went in and all that idling hasn’t reflected on the consumption reading.

I’m so close to giving Holden the flick as having a service (really only an oil and filter change for most services) every 200 - 500 kms travelled is just environmentally wasteful. Next service I think it’s spark plugs which have only seen some 6000kms of use so really no reason to replace them…

Problem is finding someone else that also doesn’t joy ride and will listen to reason re the amount of servicing :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I always make a point of parking within clear sight of reception/office then taking a dashboard picture with my phone before turning the engine off. Possibly guilty of giving the LS3 a right foot stab for a little crackle and pop while doing so.

I would be spewing I was that owner, telling the mechanic his public liability insurance will have to cover the full replacement cost.

Fcuktards like this mechanic give genuine workers a bad name.

Me personally, don't care if someone wishes to watch and even jump in their car beside me when I take it for a test drive to make sure the work is done properly....

Unfortunately I draw the line about entering the workshop whilst work is being done.....As much as some biatch about it, public liability plays a part in that.....Don't need some pricks tripping/slipping/falling on something and suing the crap out of the business because of it

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Fcuktards like this mechanic give genuine workers a bad name.

Me personally, don't care if someone wishes to watch and even jump in their car beside me when I take it for a test drive to make sure the work is done properly....

Unfortunately I draw the line about entering the workshop whilst work is being done.....As much as some biatch about it, public liability plays a part in that.....Don't need some pricks tripping/slipping/falling on something and suing the crap out of the business because of it
I would agree with that (although I am not technically in the auto trade currently)

But I would suggest to you (not knowing if you are the owner of your business/building or it's layout) that maybe putting a large window between the waiting area and the workshop area as a sign of clarity.
To be honest watching someone working on your car and quickly seeing them look after it well, gets boring fast and quickly leads to sitting down not watching them work on your car.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I would agree with that (although I am not technically in the auto trade currently)

But I would suggest to you (not knowing if you are the owner of your business/building or it's layout) that maybe putting a large window between the waiting area and the workshop area as a sign of clarity.
To be honest watching someone working on your car and quickly seeing them look after it well, gets boring fast and quickly leads to sitting down not watching them work on your car.
I do understand what you're saying and agree 100%

The workshop has large doors at the front, so people can see what is going on.....Large enough for a truck to drive in.....So no problems there.....The problem is, the are plastic chains, with signs attached to them and also attached to the pillars inbetween the doors stating "only authorised personnel allowed in the workshop" The number of people that whinge and biatch when you ask them to wait outside is unbelieveable.....And they'd be the same sort of people that would sue the crap out of you if they got hurt in the workshop...

They are also able to see from the showroom, into the workshop what is happening....However with that, if there are other cars/trucks in, their car/truck maybe blocked and not see exactly what is going on with it..

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I do understand what you're saying and agree 100%

The workshop has large doors at the front, so people can see what is going on.....Large enough for a truck to drive in.....So no problems there.....The problem is, the are plastic chains, with signs attached to them and also attached to the pillars inbetween the doors stating "only authorised personnel allowed in the workshop" The number of people that whinge and biatch when you ask them to wait outside is unbelieveable.....And they'd be the same sort of people that would sue the crap out of you if they got hurt in the workshop...

They are also able to see from the showroom, into the workshop what is happening....However with that, if there are other cars/trucks in, their car/truck maybe blocked and not see exactly what is going on with it..
Yeah I agree.
It seems the only real solutions is to park in the workshop with them seatbelted in the passenger side with hands ductaped to knees and duct tape holding their mouth closed. Then they can see everything and touch/say nothing.
But alas, they would file a complaint about that too.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A bit of personal experience, although minor.

Nearly 30 years ago I took my VN V8 to a well-known windscreen repairer to get a chip fixed. An employee took the keys, and gunned it into the workshop, at the same time as one of their vans was backing out. I watched as they collided, inside the workshop.
I just went to the manager and told him (calmly) that his employee had pranged my car and his business van inside the workshop, which had a sign clearly displayed "no admittance to workshop" for customers.
Damage was a headlight, grille, bar, bonnet and guard. A couple of days later, I was able to collect it from the panel shop that was only 50 metres away, at no cost to me. Windscreen also fixed, no cost, all good.

A couple of months later I received a letter from QBE wanting me to sign a waiver, stating that my car was being driven by person who had my permission to drive the car.
This was, to me, an attempt to make me responsible for the cost of the repairs, and therefore being made to claim on my insurance.
I refused to sign, replying with the sequence of events and that I was not allowed to drive it into the workshop.
A few more months, and another letter with the same demand, and that I should take note that my refusal would result in the repairs not being carried out. Big deal, the car had been fixed, and I was only inconvenienced by a couple of days. Letter returned to them, unsigned, with the same explanation.
This went on for a while, and all their subsequent letters were binned, no further action from me. Then, no more letters.

About 18 months later, I received a cheque in the mail, for the cost of the repairs being in full settlement of my claim. I hadn't made any claim.
Took the cheque to the panel shop, who told me that they had been paid at the time of the repair.
Took the cheque to the windscreen repairers ................ new staff, no knowledge of incident, so I said the cheque is yours, you sort it out.
I could have cashed the cheque myself, kept the money, and maybe nobody would have noticed.

My point ................. if a mechanic prangs your car while road testing it, don't sign anything that makes you liable for making a claim against your own insurance. And if that is part of their disclosure propaganda in fine print at the bottom of the page, tell them that you don't agree to be responsible for any damage caused by them.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A bit of personal experience, although minor.

Nearly 30 years ago I took my VN V8 to a well-known windscreen repairer to get a chip fixed. An employee took the keys, and gunned it into the workshop, at the same time as one of their vans was backing out. I watched as they collided, inside the workshop.
I just went to the manager and told him (calmly) that his employee had pranged my car and his business van inside the workshop, which had a sign clearly displayed "no admittance to workshop" for customers.
Damage was a headlight, grille, bar, bonnet and guard. A couple of days later, I was able to collect it from the panel shop that was only 50 metres away, at no cost to me. Windscreen also fixed, no cost, all good.

A couple of months later I received a letter from QBE wanting me to sign a waiver, stating that my car was being driven by person who had my permission to drive the car.
This was, to me, an attempt to make me responsible for the cost of the repairs, and therefore being made to claim on my insurance.
I refused to sign, replying with the sequence of events and that I was not allowed to drive it into the workshop.
A few more months, and another letter with the same demand, and that I should take note that my refusal would result in the repairs not being carried out. Big deal, the car had been fixed, and I was only inconvenienced by a couple of days. Letter returned to them, unsigned, with the same explanation.
This went on for a while, and all their subsequent letters were binned, no further action from me. Then, no more letters.

About 18 months later, I received a cheque in the mail, for the cost of the repairs being in full settlement of my claim. I hadn't made any claim.
Took the cheque to the panel shop, who told me that they had been paid at the time of the repair.
Took the cheque to the windscreen repairers ................ new staff, no knowledge of incident, so I said the cheque is yours, you sort it out.
I could have cashed the cheque myself, kept the money, and maybe nobody would have noticed.

My point ................. if a mechanic prangs your car while road testing it, don't sign anything that makes you liable for making a claim against your own insurance. And if that is part of their disclosure propaganda in fine print at the bottom of the page, tell them that you don't agree to be responsible for any damage caused by them.

These days, with the lack of rego labels being placed on windscreens, it is required the owner of the car sign concent for the car to be driven...However with this, it is stated on the form, the owner states the car is registered, therefore saving the person driving the car being done for driving an unregistered uninsured vehicle...I am also aware, not all places will do this...

I agree with your point.....Be cautious with the signing of things.....Make sure there is nothing on the paperwork, stating that you will be liable for damages to your car, or others as a result of a nitwits actions...