Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] new P plater laws coming in about driving a V8??

CANYONERO

Likes Cheese...
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 6spd wif MOMO leavaa.
lol, ahhh the good old days, i mean. OMG thats so immature :p

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
yeah but it doesn't matter what engine you have in a car they can be just as dangerous

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
All the more reason that if a law is to be introduced it is done so based on something more representative of power like cubic capacity or kw output and not the number of cylinders.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
but i would rather see a P plater in a 5L vs, than a v6 ve! there is nothing "high powered" about an old stock v8 lol

A 5L VS is still faster than a V6 VE though?

I would rather see them in the slower vehicle with the airbags and ESP and other safety features than the faster car with a sloppy chassis and no safety feature other than seatbelts and ABS.

All the more reason that if a law is to be introduced it is done so based on something more representative of power like cubic capacity or kw output and not the number of cylinders.

How would cubic capacity be much different to the number of cylinders. You would think a cubic capacity would cut off anything 4L and above, which is only really V8 anyway, and I don't see how cubic capacity is more representative of power than the number of cylinders. The same goes for pure kw output. A 190kw VE isn't quicker than a 165kw VN SS. Power to weight ratio is the most accurate way of doing it.

On a side note, I would assume it would be V8 and turbo/supercharged vehicles. So WRX, turbo skylines etc. would be ruled out as well.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Thread derailed much!

MovieDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (A)
How would cubic capacity be much different to the number of cylinders. You would think a cubic capacity would cut off anything 4L and above, which is only really V8 anyway, and I don't see how cubic capacity is more representative of power than the number of cylinders. The same goes for pure kw output. A 190kw VE isn't quicker than a 165kw VN SS. Power to weight ratio is the most accurate way of doing it.

Based on cc I would expect the threshold to be 3000 or even less. Most P platers drive Hyundai Excels anyway don't they?
Based on number of cylinders we would see P platers unable to drive their grandad's twenty-year old V8 but allowed to drive their mum's GTI.
Power to weight would come a cropper for small engined small cars like the Mini Cooper.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Based on cc I would expect the threshold to be 3000 or even less. Most P platers drive Hyundai Excels anyway don't they?
Based on number of cylinders we would see P platers unable to drive their grandad's twenty-year old V8 but allowed to drive their mum's GTI.
Power to weight would come a cropper for small engined small cars like the Mini Cooper.

Power to weight is the most efficient way (without it getting overly complicated) of measuring a cars acceleration or 'pace' for lack of a better word.

So you would rather see cubic capacity come in and stop people driving any sort of commodore or falcon in Australia? Restrict a considerable amount of the population from buying any current Australian made vehicle?

BLOWN R8

WHISTLE BY HARROP
Reaction score
Members Ride
BLOWN VZ R8 MALOO, LC 406, HT PREM, VX SS
doesnt matter what they drive, ive towed fatals where its been vw's and fiat's to commodores... all comes down to the driver themselves...

DARK SIDE

I’ll Fry Your Ricer
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 HSV V2 GTS Coupe
doesnt matter what they drive, ive towed fatals where its been vw's and fiat's to commodores... all comes down to the driver themselves...

Spot on Adrian, the laws have not made any real difference interstate. The government just brings out these glossy laws so it looks like they are doing something. If someone is going to drive like a fu*kwit they will do it in any car.