Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I install genuine cruise control on a vs executive?

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
go ask holden
The vp's had a genuine aftermarket accesory loom that dealers could fit, maybe vs has some thing similar.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
go ask holden
The vp's had a genuine aftermarket accesory loom that dealers could fit, maybe vs has some thing similar.

I've seen cruise looms on Ebay recently - maybe they are too old to stock at Holden and they sell them off to outsiders who then on-sell as NOS.

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
ill have a bit of a look over the car today or tomorrow and try to sus it out, i just bought the car off a friend and im pretty sure he said it had an aftermarket cruise installed, but it doesnt work.
would this be helpful? could i simply replace the aftermarket parts with the genuine parts?
and I'm guessing this aftermarket one would have a break switch, (bit of a stupid question) but where is it?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The aftermarket one probably uses the existing brake switch - the genuine one uses an extra brakeswitch so that if one fails the other one works.
You will not be able to swap parts from genuine to aftermarket as they both use different modes of operation - the aftermarket one probably uses a vacuum servo to drive the throttle whilst the genuine uses a stepper motor driven by the ECU so the genuine one is much more 'sophisticated'. I'll take some pix later tonite of what you need to do to the car like relay and brake switch etc.

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
The aftermarket one probably uses the existing brake switch - the genuine one uses an extra brakeswitch so that if one fails the other one works.
You will not be able to swap parts from genuine to aftermarket as they both use different modes of operation - the aftermarket one probably uses a vacuum servo to drive the throttle whilst the genuine uses a stepper motor driven by the ECU so the genuine one is much more 'sophisticated'. I'll take some pix later tonite of what you need to do to the car like relay and brake switch etc.

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated :yeah:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Here are some pix - they should enable you to decide if your car has the plugs etc and where some of the bits go. I reckon if it has the plug in the engine bay the rest will be there.
If you get a brake switch from a wrecker make sure you get the clip for it as well which adapts the switch to the pedal box.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• throttle cable.jpg
    throttle cable.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 2,592
  • relayswitch.jpg
    relayswitch.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 2,962
  • CC plug.jpg
    CC plug.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,769
  • cc module.jpg
    cc module.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 2,143

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If any of you blokes decide to fit cruise you may find the following tips useful:
1...when you remove the CC brakeswitch from a wreck unscrew it...don't simply pull it out and also get the spring steel adaptor that the switch screws into - use a pair of long nose pliers or a small flat screwdriver to prise it out.
2...If you buy a secondhand indicator arm get one that still has legible writing on it as this indicates lower mileage and a better chance of it working.
3...Ensure any parts you buy are from a VS...this avoids having to "make" something fit.
4...the relay can be any small relay from a VS.
5...be careful clipping in the CC module throttle cable as the plastic can get brittle...make sure the one you buy is in good order....also try and get the bolts that attach it to the inner guard.
6...when fitting extra brake switch push brake pedal in and hold, insert switch and push in till it goes no further and then allow brake pedal to return - you will hear it pushing the switch back (maybe you will need to pull the pedal back to its position).
7...make sure brake light bulbs are working (CC senses bulb out)
Good Luck.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
hey markovr,
yeah if you could dig those up that would be awesome!
i had thought that i might already have the wiring there but without knowing exactly what i was doing i didnt wanna go digging around.
thanks alot, hope you can find it :)
Here it is..a little large and its for a vr...vs has a different v6 engine throttle bracket and its bcm/keyheads dont need changing and it uses a half size relay in a spare spot above the fuses for it

cruise1.jpg

cruise2.jpg

cruise3.jpg

cruise4.jpg

cruise5.jpg

cruise6.jpg

cruise7.jpg

cruise8.jpg

cruise9.jpg

cruise10.jpg

Last edited:

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
thanks very much for that, your a lifesaver!
is that the sort of thing i can find in a workshop manual for the vs? 'coz that'd probably be something worth looking into.

i now have;

- cruise module and throttle cable
- indicater stalk w/ cruise
and
- brake switch and clip.

that's all i need to begin installation yeah? that's supposing the wiring is in the loom on the passenger side.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You'll also need one of those small relays in the second picture I sent.
The diagram that markovr posted I'd imagine is dealer only info as it refers to retrofitting cruise to VR models using a patch cable whereas you are fitting it to a VS without a patch cable.....basically 'plug and play'.
When you plug the cruise module in make sure the connectors are clean - mine were full of dust etc and needed cleaning with a toothbrush and solvent. Also make sure there is no way the cruise module throttle cable can come in contact with the exhaust manifold as someone on this forum had that happen - result was a wide open throttle when the cable melted.