Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] Motorists to now receive fines for all defects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Do you all really expect everyone to have full respect for the police, when all they do is target modified cars? Oh of course!!!

Maybe if they attend to more important matters, attitudes would be different.

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I agree that blown tail lights are an unfair deal, under certain circumstances. Let's face it, you might be one of those people who actually check everything before you start each journey and the light could be in perfect working order but blow within seconds after starting off, so how are you to know it has blown? That sort of thing (ie where only ONE globe is dead) should not be fined, but a warning given.

If, however, you have a number of blown globes, then a fine might be appropriate because they didn't all go at once. I followed a car this morning with only one tail-light and one brake light (on opposite sides, of course), so by my count, at least three globes were defective. That demonstrates a "don't look and don't care" attitude to car maintenance and deserves a fine, but not one isolated globe.

I agree entirely that a single globe should not be a fine, But what happens if something like a brake switch goes (being all brake light stop obviously) i know this doesnt happen often but mine did go one night was working fine on the way out and buggered up later on in my journey.

I believe there should be fines yes BUT... i do believe that they should bring in the annual safety checks first and a 1st warning on MINOR defects.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
I believe there should be fines yes BUT... i do believe that they should bring in the annual safety checks first and a 1st warning on MINOR defects.
unfortunately that will never happen in SA :( defects are a massive cash cow for the state.... and they keep milking it

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
i remember the good old days (not all that long ago) when if u had a minor defect like a blown taillight globe, and weren't being stupid to get pulled over to start with. the cop might say words to the effect of " if i see that not fixed next time i see it u will get a ticket" and let u go.

i'd bet there will be very little if any leniency/police discretion towards handing out defect fines now, just another cash grab i think

I dont know what cops your talking about but in 2 separate occasions (i know im lucky) first time drove through a stop sign (2am on a weekday in a factory area) he checked a couple of things over the car and said 'Dont let me catch you again', and on a second occasion my brake switch blew (as above, Late night again) he told me to get home and dont drive til its Fixed told me to put my hazards on when breaking (i was about 300m from my house).

edit: there was a third time i got pulled over for an RBT and didnt have my p plate on the front and got told 'Drive up the street and put one on' (as i had one in the glove box... Always do)

So my point is, dont go around saying cops are all arseholes and pick on people for nothing, because it is so far untrue. I'm seriously just sick of people complaining about cops. They're not bad people just doing there job, I was always told treat people like a mirror... you smile they smile back.. you be a #### they slap a nice big canary on your car :)

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Seriously some people.....

No copper in his right mind is going to defect a car for a faulty brake light. That is unless you act like a complete douche and fail the attitude test. Police only target modified cars? That would have to be the biggest load of **** I have ever heard. Police indeed have better things to do. But because of the general idiocy of society, they have to protect people from themselves.

Yeah the whole world is out to get you, boo ####ing hoo! VicPOL have been able to fine drivers for defective vehicles for as long as I have been driving and have never heard of anyone being fined for getting a defect notice. If you do stupid **** like fit Daewoo springs or start cutting bump stops you deserve all you get. :nopity:

The idea behind modifying a car is to improve the characteristics not detract from them. Seems too many people modify for the sake of it now and these people deserve everything they get. I certainly won't lose any sleep over your plight! In the meantime I will continue to drive my modded cars with zero attention from the boys in blue mostly because I don't do useless stupid mods that scream "look at me"

wambulance1.gif

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Gone principally is the respect for law and authority. When I started driving in 1970, there was a real fear of getting booked and respect for the police. Young blokes these days seem to be prepared to make a joke of getting fined, even posting the fact on social networks, then calling the cops or pollies names because they change the laws. The modifications some guys carry out on their cars would have seen you put off the road in years past. Particularly, dumping the car into the weeds, or the invisible caravan look. We used to drop our cars about 50mm, no more, or you knew you would be defected. Wide wheels were very limited, because most of our cars ran around on 13's, and 14's were a big wheel. Rim width was generally kept down to 6 or 7 inches max. Even small diameter steering wheels could get you into strife.

It's a lot easier these days because the manufacturers woke up to the value of factory options which negated all those illegal mods and there is far more flexibility. If you get booked for defects these days, there's a good chance it's because your modification has gone outside the boundaries. I said earlier that getting booked for a single blown globe is unfair, but don't blame the cops if you get caught. They answer to the Government and it's government policy that drives the police.

Sorry to put 3 posts in a row... but referring to this i know exactly where your coming from with the your people (i am one of them, Obviously) but i know every time i get pulled up i am absolutely shitting myself, to the point that the cop thought id been doing something wrong causing him to go over the rest of my car (the first time), i know i only speak for myself here but yeah just wanted to say :p

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Do you all really expect everyone to have full respect for the police, when all they do is target modified cars? Oh of course!!!

Maybe if they attend to more important matters, attitudes would be different.

Lol your kidding yourself mate.. i really think your one of these TOOLS that need to be defected for your attitude not your car.

If i was i cop and come across someone like you id slap the canary over your mouth.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
Lol your kidding yourself mate.. i really think your one of these TOOLS that need to be defected for your attitude not your car.

If i was i cop and come across someone like you id slap the canary over your mouth.

I never have an attitude with the police mate. Just gives them more reason to be picky. Been pulled over dozens of times. But these new laws are getting beyond a joke, and as said, just a cash grab to fill the goverments pockets.

You dont know me, so you should keep your opinions to yourself, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.