Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

255's front & 285's rear on VE SS

wms

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Hi there fellow enthusiasts ;)

I've spent many many hours and hours searching across this and other forums but I can't seem to find an absolute definitive answer to whether the following rims, offsets and tyre sizes for a stock 2007 VE SS will have any problems.

I've found some rims that I'm seriously thinking of buying. I am at stock height, its not lowered and the brakes are stock also.

I don't want to have to roll guards or do other mod's for a pain free fitment and I'm trying to work out if the following rims and tyres will fit without rubbing, sctrubbing or other problems etc.

So here's the proposed setup:

20 X 8.5" fronts with a +45 offset with Falken 452's 255/35/20

with

b) 20 x 10" rears with a +40 offset with Falken 452's 285/30/20

Anyone have this setup? and/or can advise from experience if I'll have any rubbin etc including on full lock front turning circle etc?

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
should be ok, id imagine youd run into some issues at the back if you lowered it enough

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Go look on the G8 board there's a sticky for wheel fitment without mods.

Now advice; HSV wheels are 20x8.5 36P 245/35 front (255/35s will fit easy!!!) and the reads are 20x9.5 57P 275/30 rears (285/30s will fit easy as p*ss) I mean you only want to go 10mm wider then factory.

Also try using a offset calc like willtheyfit.com

wms

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Cheers GEN3RATD

wms

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
Go look on the G8 board there's a sticky for wheel fitment without mods.

*******Yep, already checked it and have spent plenty of hours on their various wheels/tyres threads but I was hoping someone here has the same or very similar setup I'm looking at doing.*****

Now advice; HSV wheels are 20x8.5 36P 245/35 front (255/35s will fit easy!!!) and the reads are 20x9.5 57P 275/30 rears (285/30s will fit easy as p*ss) I mean you only want to go 10mm wider then factory.

******Yep only 10 mm wider from a 275 to a 285 but I'm looking at a +40 offset rear as opposed to a factory 57. Again, I'm hoping someone on this forum has a similar or the same setup and can give some comment on rubbing etc. ******

Also try using a offset calc like willtheyfit.com

****Thanks and yep I'd already done that too but the calculator still doesn't actually tell me if this proposed fitment and setup will rub or it won't, hence ,again. I've posted here hoping someone with the same or similar setup on a VE Series 1 SS can steer me in the right direction before I pull the trigger and commit to purchasing the wheels ...******

cheers :beer chug:

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
On willtheyfit.com input your factory wheel versus the new wheel grab a ruler n measure the poke.

I can tell you off the top of my head that the new fronts will sit in 10mm plus 5mm extra tyre so 5mm over factory. I have 20x9.5 32P fronts with no roll so they'll fit easy.

Edited; make a mistake n won't leave wrong info online

Last edited:

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hi there fellow enthusiasts ;)

I've found some rims that I'm seriously thinking of buying. I am at stock height, its not lowered and the brakes are stock also.

I don't want to have to roll guards or do other mod's for a pain free fitment and I'm trying to work out if the following rims and tyres will fit without rubbing, sctrubbing or other problems etc.

So here's the proposed setup:

20 X 8.5" fronts with a +45 offset with Falken 452's 255/35/20

with

b) 20 x 10" rears with a +40 offset with Falken 452's 285/30/20

Anyone have this setup? and/or can advise from experience if I'll have any rubbing etc including on full lock front turning circle etc?

)

Fronts - will be fine. You have a wider tyre but lower offset on the wheel so the net result is that the tyre will only sit 2 mm closer to the INSIDE than the stock set up. (The edge of the wheel will be 3 mm closer on the inside than the stock wheel).
No issues on the outside. The wheel edge will only extend out a further 9mm on the OUTSIDE and the tyre a fraction less.

REAR - You will definitely rub in the rear with that 40 offset 10 inch wide wheel and 285 30 20 tyre unless you roll the guards. Even though you are not lowered, with enough suspension movement when you hit a decent bump on the road the tyres will hit the inside lip of the rear guards when not rolled. This will occur even if you fit a 275 tyre. You will get away with it on nice smooth roads but as soon as you hit a sizeable bump the guards will scalp your tyres. With 2 adult passengers in the back or considerable weight in the boot that will compress the springs a bit lower, you will be a little closer to hitting the guard lip with the suspension floating up and down.

With those 40 offset 10 inch wheels and 285 tyres, the tyres are going to extend to the OUTSIDE by a further 28 mm compared with stock (the outside edge of the wheel will extend a few mm further). When you measure from your current set up and check the rear guard lip you will see the problem.

The 9.5 inch rear wheels HSV fitted to the VEs have a 57 offset with 275 tyres and you can dump a HSV to the ground and the rear 275 tyres clear the guards fine.

IF you want to run a 285 tyre but not roll your rear guards then you either need an aftermarket wheel with a much higher offset or a set of HSV rims. For the rear, a 285 tyre on a HSV 9.5 inch rim at 57 offset will definitely clear without you needing to roll the rear guards. This is because the tyre only extends to the outside by about 11 mm further than your stock set up. Most of the extra width of the wheel and tyre is to the inside/suspension side of the wheel well.

(The stock 8 inch rims are 48 offset).

Unfortunately there are few nice aftermarket wheels around for VE fitment PCD 5 x 120 that offer high offsets (50 plus) on a 10 x 20 inch wide wheel. On 10 inch x 20 wheels most tend to be in the 40P and less offset range(many of them just 35P) unless you go to the expense of buying a custom built wheel.

IF you want the 10 inch rear wheels in 40 offset and do not want to roll the rear guards you can fit a 265 35 20 tyre . That will just barely clear with no roll. Unfortunately, the choice of tyres available here in OZ of that size is very limited.

Hope this is of some help.

gasser_neil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v SII
so how do you think i would go if i fitted 275 30 20's on 9.5's with a 45 offset on my Calais v?? when i put the figures into the calculator on willtheyfit.com, they would
poke out 22mm more than standard. a quick measurement from the face of my standard rims to inner lip of guard is approx 30mm

Fronts - will be fine. You have a wider tyre but lower offset on the wheel so the net result is that the tyre will only sit 2 mm closer to the INSIDE than the stock set up. (The edge of the wheel will be 3 mm closer on the inside than the stock wheel).
No issues on the outside. The wheel edge will only extend out a further 9mm on the OUTSIDE and the tyre a fraction less.

REAR - You will definitely rub in the rear with that 40 offset 10 inch wide wheel and 285 30 20 tyre unless you roll the guards. Even though you are not lowered, with enough suspension movement when you hit a decent bump on the road the tyres will hit the inside lip of the rear guards when not rolled. This will occur even if you fit a 275 tyre. You will get away with it on nice smooth roads but as soon as you hit a sizeable bump the guards will scalp your tyres. With 2 adult passengers in the back or considerable weight in the boot that will compress the springs a bit lower, you will be a little closer to hitting the guard lip with the suspension floating up and down.

With those 40 offset 10 inch wheels and 285 tyres, the tyres are going to extend to the OUTSIDE by a further 28 mm compared with stock (the outside edge of the wheel will extend a few mm further). When you measure from your current set up and check the rear guard lip you will see the problem.

The 9.5 inch rear wheels HSV fitted to the VEs have a 57 offset with 275 tyres and you can dump a HSV to the ground and the rear 275 tyres clear the guards fine.

IF you want to run a 285 tyre but not roll your rear guards then you either need an aftermarket wheel with a much higher offset or a set of HSV rims. For the rear, a 285 tyre on a HSV 9.5 inch rim at 57 offset will definitely clear without you needing to roll the rear guards. This is because the tyre only extends to the outside by about 11 mm further than your stock set up. Most of the extra width of the wheel and tyre is to the inside/suspension side of the wheel well.

(The stock 8 inch rims are 48 offset).

Unfortunately there are few nice aftermarket wheels around for VE fitment PCD 5 x 120 that offer high offsets (50 plus) on a 10 x 20 inch wide wheel. On 10 inch x 20 wheels most tend to be in the 40P and less offset range(many of them just 35P) unless you go to the expense of buying a custom built wheel.

IF you want the 10 inch rear wheels in 40 offset and do not want to roll the rear guards you can fit a 265 35 20 tyre . That will just barely clear with no roll. Unfortunately, the choice of tyres available here in OZ of that size is very limited.

Hope this is of some help.

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
so how do you think i would go if i fitted 275 30 20's on 9.5's with a 45 offset on my Calais v?? when i put the figures into the calculator on willtheyfit.com, they would
poke out 22mm more than standard. a quick measurement from the face of my standard rims to inner lip of guard is approx 30mm

thats what i have on the rear of mine lowered cleared easy but did roll the guards just incase

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Your 10s
7BB06D67-2F1B-4AF3-9958-4E5A5CF8EAED-478-000000F48711170E_zps916490e5.jpg

Every G8 in the state run 10s with 50P offset. 9.5 45P is better but still poke 12mm over HSVs. Just roll the guards n be happy or wait n find higher offset wheels even if that means buying something from the states. All these 30-45P wheel are euro to suit BMWS not Holden