Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline SSV Vs Gen-F GTS

Romyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to be Blown VF Redline
If $$$ is not an issue than its pretty obvious but for the coin a ssv redline is a pretty good car, I've got a redline that's got headers, full harrop exhaust, otr, harrop blower and tuned. It's puts out 460kw and runs 11.6 but is still a dream to drive down to the shops. Whilst this is the best car I've ever driven I'd still go the GTS though if I could afford one but I can't so I'm happy to settle for a redline that will smoke a GTS:)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
With worse interior, suspension and resale?
Resale is only worse as a percentage, you still lose less $ buying a Redline. Having to spend close to double in the first place has that effect.
Interior difference is SFA; the HSV doesn't try quite as hard, but the difference is bugger-all from what a quick Google says. I'm sure the seats are nicer, but then $45k buys a lot of Recaro.

If you look at it completely objectively, compare to something like a Stanley Steamer, a Redline is 95% as good a car as a GTS. Diminishng rate of return; it's why an M3 costs that much more than a GTS again, because getting that little bit extra costs way much more to achieve.
So it all depends on whether you want that extra 5% & whether paying the 90% extra is worth it to you. Very much a personal choice IMHO. 'Cos without paying the 90% extra, you can't have that full 5%.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
With worse interior, suspension and resale?

Wouldn't be so sure about the resale bit, the GTS SnowDoggy mentioned is selling for about $30K less than original price, assuming the dealer isn't losing money on it, and given the dealer has to pay GST on the sale, I'd say the original owner is probably out of pocket by more than $40K maybe more like $45K. Albeit the Km's are quite high for 2 years ownership.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Back to the OP's original question, GTS or Redline, I think something to consider is where you drive it, I notice your location is Sydney (like me). I can't see the point in driving a GTS to and from work in Sydney peak traffic averaging 30Km/h, while no doubt the GTS is an awesome car, it seems a waste of a great car driving it around Sydney.

GenF-GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF GTS
Many have missed the point in that the GTS's drive line is very heavy duty.

Rule of thumb from a multitude of workshops in the US with the ZL1 is 750rwhp is safe for the entire drive line.
I know of one guy that makes 840rwhp has done over 200 quarter mile passes and only recently his gearbox started to make some strange noises.

I also know of a 1000rwhp ZL1 twin turbo that runs the quarter mile and texas mile that is still running fine with no drive line issues.

You can make any car make more HP but building the driveline to handle it is often over looked and you can easily break things when you are making the power.
The drive line in the GTS is the exact same as the ZL1 and it has been over engineered which is great.

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
If you want the performance of the GTS, buy the GTS.
Mods add SFA to a cars value so it would be a bad choice imo to chase GTS performance with a Redline and expect to get the value back when it comes time to sell.
You never will.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
If you want the performance of the GTS, buy the GTS.
Mods add SFA to a cars value so it would be a bad choice imo to chase GTS performance with a Redline and expect to get the value back when it comes time to sell.
You never will.
Yeah ... looking back at the original post, it'd take more than what's been posted there to decide whether the OP is likely to think it's worth paying the extra money for a GTS. :)

I reckon you'll never answer the question without a test-drive. And it must be possible to test-drive a chip+tune+exhaust car without too much trouble; the dealer we bought our Redline from sells new Walkinshaw-kitted cars, for example.
And such a test drive might answer the question completely. Could be a case that the GTS doesn't offer enough value-for-money to justify from a purely financial POV, but dammit, you want one anyway ... if it was all just about financials you'd be in a Kia Rio. :D

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
As written else where the Redline is going to get the LS3 which is a good thing we know, but if you want the Holden not so Special Vehicle why not wait till the run of the mill Clubby comes out with the LSA it'll still have the big driveline only just missing the cooler and a little bit less KW which is no biggie these days plus you'll have some extra dollars in the bank. None of the HSV's (other than the W427) are collectable with their phone number length build numbers. Just my opinion as if I could bring myself to buy a GT I would be filthy with the fact you can now get an XR8 with the same engine/driveline as what you paid nearly $20k more for.

GenF-GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF GTS
There is quite a solid rumor going around that the last GTS possibly GTS-R will have the LS9 in it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is quite a solid rumor going around that the last GTS possibly GTS-R will have the LS9 in it.
Having Googled an LSA vs LS9, it kinda makes sense they'd use the LS9. Looks like the biggest difference is bigger blower & more boost, so given the drivetrain can cope, it's not likely to make much cost-difference on the production line & the biggest problem for them would probably be related to ADR pollution-certifying it.