Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Series II vs Redline Series I

styln

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
So I'm just about to finalise the sale of my VF SV6 and I'm going to purchase a VF V8.

It'll be a car I'll keep forever, as eventually I'm going to buy a daily to help preserve the VF.

Anyway, the most I can stretch my finances to are around 45k. There's always exceptions and I'll keep my eyes peeled, because ideally I would love a Series II Redline... But the following is more likely;

1. Buy a Series I Redline with 80k-100k kms. Or;
2. Buy a Series II SSV with less kms for the same price.
3. Buy a Series I SSV if I can save $8k+ and use the change on mods.

Any advice on these three scenarios? I love the idea of the brembos and the better suspension but I also love the idea of the LS3. Sunroof would be nice but doesn't sway me, Bose meh, extra safety feature or two meh.

Any thoughts / guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
So I'm just about to finalise the sale of my VF SV6 and I'm going to purchase a VF V8.

It'll be a car I'll keep forever, as eventually I'm going to buy a daily to help preserve the VF.

Anyway, the most I can stretch my finances to are around 45k. There's always exceptions and I'll keep my eyes peeled, because ideally I would love a Series II Redline... But the following is more likely;

Any advice on these three scenarios? I love the idea of the brembos and the better suspension but I also love the idea of the LS3. Sunroof would be nice but doesn't sway me, Bose meh, extra safety feature or two meh.

Any thoughts / guidance would be appreciated.
Go the series 2 the ls3 is such a greater engine, i bought just a plain SS when new felt cramped with head space with redline

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Series 2 SSV and put Brembo brakes on it and that'll pretty well Redline the car to average eye! You'll get the LS3 engine, a much stronger performing engine stock and better diff ratio than the 6 litre engine in Series 1.

The 6 litre with it's tall diff performance wise stock, is a bit crap really and nothing blisteringly special about it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My 2c ... because you intend on keeping it forever, getting the lower-km (let's call it "better condition") Series II SS-V with the LS3 & the better diff ratio seems like the winner to me.

Because sunroof has already been stated as meh, and the same with the Bose audio, the only things I think you might miss are:
(*) the suspension - except you can likely do better than FE3 using aftermarket gear
(*) the brakes - upgrades aren't that hard
(*) maybe the staggered wheel fitment/appearance - wheels are easy to change
... and I can't really think of anything else.

The HUD was the clincher for us, which is why our 2014 is an SSV-R ... if we'd been buying in 2016 we may have gone for an SS-V.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Waiting for @Ron Burgundy to join the chat.
He's done all the hard work & suffered all the pain ... he sacrificed himself so that we don't need to!
[TBH ... unsure whether, with an 1800kg car with 300kW, I'd not just ask a trusted mechanic to do the conversion for me]

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
(*) the suspension - except you can likely do better than FE3 using aftermarket gear
Holden did a good job with FE3 designed around handling and comfortability at ride heights that are pretty high for a performance vehicle and rightly so, they didn't design adaptability in FE3 for enthusiasts lowering their cars with stiffer spring rates. FE2 is the more adaptable variant for lowering with stiffer spring rates with it's stiffer shock valving and softer sway bars.

Intending to lower a car, FE2 is the better suspension base than FE3 as the stock FE2 shocks work pretty well with a King spring and moderate lowering of an inch (25mm). FE3 shocks are a bit soft to control the stiffer spring rate.

styln

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Series 2 SSV and put Brembo brakes on it and that'll pretty well Redline the car to average eye! You'll get the LS3 engine, a much stronger performing engine stock and better diff ratio than the 6 litre engine in Series 1.

The 6 litre with it's tall diff performance wise stock, is a bit crap really and nothing blisteringly special about it.

Thanks RN - good advice. Pretty much sold me on it.

Is the difference in engine really noticeable? I'll likely TD both so I can gauge it first-hand but I'm imagining it to be a fair difference...

My 2c ... because you intend on keeping it forever, getting the lower-km (let's call it "better condition") Series II SS-V with the LS3 & the better diff ratio seems like the winner to me.

Because sunroof has already been stated as meh, and the same with the Bose audio, the only things I think you might miss are:
(*) the brakes - upgrades aren't that hard
(*) maybe the staggered wheel fitment/appearance - wheels are easy to change
... and I can't really think of anything else.

The HUD was the clincher for us, which is why our 2014 is an SSV-R ... if we'd been buying in 2016 we may have gone for an SS-V.

Thanks Forg - all very good points, those additions are easy enough to make, and helps make the decision easier.

Agree on the HUD, I never 'rated' it until I got it in our new Outlander ... and then the VF SV6. Now I don't think I could go without.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Is the difference in engine really noticeable? I'll likely TD both so I can gauge it first-hand but I'm imagining it to be a fair difference...
Series 2 feels a lot livelier than the Series 1 but it's not only the more powerful LS3 engine. Series 2 has a lower diff ratio than Series 1. The less powerful 6 litre engine and taller diff ratio in Series 1, feels pretty flat and underwhelming compared to the Series 2.