Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Series II vs Redline Series I

styln

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Here is my suggestion.

Start each on first thing in the morning and take for gentle test drive.

Ls3 is no stranger to cold start piston slap. Pick one that is the quietest :)

Also, the one with W pack in theory is most likely to be driven hard in the past.

Service history should also form bug part of your decision

Thanks for the tips, all good points.

I'm assured all have a full service history but until I see it with my own eyes....

Yeah I am a bit weary on the one with the W pack for that reason + the higher k's.

If I had to pick at this stage, option 2 appears the pick of the bunch but I'm eager to have a look today at the 6.0l.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'd avoid the W pack one because it has the W pack, TBH ...

styln

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Don't rate it or because it's likely been driven hard?

Most of what I've read about the W pack is that it's over priced, but given I'm not paying for it (same price as a stock Redline I'm looking at) I'm interested to compare.

I'm still favouring stock, lower kms as an overall package.

styln

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SV6
Update + looked at the 6.0l.

Dealer couldn't tell me what mods had been done which put me off. OTR, exhaust, suspension all obvious to this newb. Some minor changes inside with an aftermarket head unit, but a few odd things like a loose cable/wire on the passenger side (guessing Bluetooth but don't know why it's passenger side) and something else stuck to the dash (connected to nowhere + must have been for a phone).

Still a fun ride, low kms, but signs the car wasn't taken care of to my liking (gear shifter had dents - wtf?).

The search continues!

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Update + looked at the 6.0l.

Dealer couldn't tell me what mods had been done which put me off. OTR, exhaust, suspension all obvious to this newb. Some minor changes inside with an aftermarket head unit, but a few odd things like a loose cable/wire on the passenger side (guessing Bluetooth but don't know why it's passenger side) and something else stuck to the dash (connected to nowhere + must have been for a phone).

Still a fun ride, low kms, but signs the car wasn't taken care of to my liking (gear shifter had dents - wtf?).

The search continues!

Yep, OTR is a red flag to me too. It screams ‘tune’ and all the issues that might come with that. It’s also a good indicator that it has a different cam.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Don't rate it or because it's likely been driven hard?

Most of what I've read about the W pack is that it's over priced, but given I'm not paying for it (same price as a stock Redline I'm looking at) I'm interested to compare.
Yeah I agree that the poor value for money isn't an issue on the used market, but the car's still associated with a Bad Thing.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I know a guy who bought a W pack car from QLD and had to have the mandatory inspection for transfer to SA rego. They rejected the OTR, headers and cats and he argued vigorously that the W pack was Holden approved and ADR compliant. BMW for example have M Performance accessories for some models may be coil over kits, exhausts, big brakes and tuning boxes etc and if they're listed as a genuine M Performance accessory for that model, then it's considered ADR compliant the rego authority must pass it.

The new owner of the W kit VF was furious when discovering the W kit isn't a Holden approved accessory, isn't ADR tested with engineering compliance and had to be removed with the stock parts re-fitted for SA rego compliance. Although Holden alliance is marketed with W kits, it's completely misconstrued and no different than any other aftermarket, OTR, header, cat and tune up kit compliance wise.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I know a guy who bought a W pack car from QLD and had to have the mandatory inspection for transfer to SA rego. They rejected the OTR, headers and cats and he argued vigorously that the W pack was Holden approved and ADR compliant. BMW for example have M Performance accessories for some models may be coil over kits, exhausts, big brakes and tuning boxes etc and if they're listed as a genuine M Performance accessory for that model, then it's considered ADR compliant the rego authority must pass it.

The new owner of the W kit VF was furious when discovering the W kit isn't a Holden approved accessory, isn't ADR tested with engineering compliance and had to be removed with the stock parts re-fitted for SA rego compliance. Although Holden alliance is marketed with W kits, it's completely misconstrued and no different than any other aftermarket, OTR, header, cat and tune up kit compliance wise.

So Holden were delivering "unroadworthy" cars from new ?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
So Holden were delivering "unroadworthy" cars from new ?

I’d hazard to guess that the dealer would officially ‘deliver’ (and register) the new car as received from the factory. Then send it off for the Walkinshaw for the enhancements?

The official enhanced cars are the HSVs which do have ADR compliance certified by Holden/GM.