Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Had mine at Holden today. And thanks to no fault codes showing, nothing is getting done! However if Id like to part with $2219, I can have it done if Im worried. They were even going to charge me to look at it until customer care became involved. Was told after a few starts, codes would be gone and to bring it straight in if/when it does it next (assuming Im not wrapped around a tree).

We need to find out which dealership in sydney did this replacement before. I have the same issue with you when I call up and they tell me I need to fork out 1 hour labour to have it check. The reception doesn't even know the problem at all, I keep asking to speak to a service advisor and never get patch thru.

Last edited:

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
So after 3 weeks of having the steering angle sensor and module replaced. No more error codes so far YEAH!! BUT ... a big but ...
from time to time when driving, the steering will pull to random site. NOT A LOT but enough to make annoy you. example when you driving on a road that has a bit of curve, you turn your steering to the left a bit maybe 11 o'clock, then out of sudden the steering will be heavy and pull itself to 12 or 1 o'clock.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can you turn on/off lane correction? to test

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Go here to read how to submit an online vehicle safety report and submit a report of your safety concern to DOTARS.

Then ring Holden Customer Care and tell them your Dealer wouldn't fix a known issue that other Dealers have repaired under warrenty (and in many cases, even for out of warranty vehicles).

Suggest to HCC that some of their dealers may not be trained well enough about this known power steering failure (or less known self steering) issues via Holden Technical Service Bulletins or (ghost) Recall Notices. Also suggest to HCC that is a serious safety issue that can only be classified as a major fault under Australian Consumer Law and that you are assessing what remedy you will choose. Possibly ask HCC to recommend a dealer that knows about these issues where you can discuss repair scenarios as a possible remedy. ALSO mention you have reported your safety concern with the power steering failure to DOTARS.

Finally politely demand the HCC staff membed discuss this issue internally with their manager and have their manager call you back with within 5 days with an answer as to how Holden proposes to resolve you major fault. Then politely hang up.

In fact, it's probably better that you handle all the above in writing to HCC via email. Then you cn give serious thought to actually demanding a full refund of the vehicle purchase price as your chosen remedy which is what the ACL provides as a remedy you can choose for a major fault.

I bet you'll get a call back from your dealer stating they will sort it out under warranty, though i'd prefer someone to actually exercise their rights in law and demand and then get a full refund of purchase price. Heck, that is what i'd be demanding if i suffered a major fault.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Can you turn on/off lane correction? to test
I thought the VF's only had lane departure warnings and not lane keeping assistance. Lane departure warning can't take over steering control while lane departure assistance can. Big difference between the two systems. But maybe there is a serious fault in lane departure software that does more than is intended?

Last edited:

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
I don't think i have the lane departure warning in my vf1, am i wrong?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
So after 3 weeks of having the steering angle sensor and module replaced. No more error codes so far YEAH!! BUT ... a big but ...
from time to time when driving, the steering will pull to random site. NOT A LOT but enough to make annoy you. example when you driving on a road that has a bit of curve, you turn your steering to the left a bit maybe 11 o'clock, then out of sudden the steering will be heavy and pull itself to 12 or 1 o'clock.

What about wheel alignment? Camber of some roads will tend to make the VF wander around a bit.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I thought the VF's only had lane departure warnings and not lane keeping assistance. Lane departure warning can't take over steering control while lane departure assistance can. Big difference between the two systems. But maybe there is a serious fault in lane departure software that does more than is intended?

No idea, it was thought to test. Strange that your quote of my original post is incorrect...

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
What about wheel alignment? Camber of some roads will tend to make the VF wander around a bit.
I'll get the alignment done this week and see how it goes. Geez, never thought my beloved car giving me so much trouble.