Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Commodore spanner sizes

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I also just recently changed my struts etc and the top nut is definitely a 15/16 i put a 24mm on it and it felt too lose I think most bolts on the car are imperial i just did water pump and intake manifold gasket a few months ago and those bolts were imperial too

That's interesting because most bolts on my VR are metric yet some but not all on the engine are imperial.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I think most bolts on the car are imperial i
I wouldn't go that far, since a lot of bodywork is metric and the A/C I just did is metric. The brakes are metric. I am confused how the strut tops got to become imperial. It's understandable if the motor accessories are imperial since the motor is a GM which might explain the water pump ( not that I have tried this )
Maybe it truly is a mix and mash proposition

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
afstruct & losh both your tool setups sound absolutely great.

Mine is good but will always need improving. I need more bench space or racks because the parts washer ends up having gear sat on it 360 out of 364 days a year. Next shed I build I plan to have a hoist.
shed.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have even thought about adding a little either fixed or fold down ledge on one side and mount a small vice on it just so you have a vice at the car ( I .

I made a stand out of H iron and 8mm plate for my vice. I had it on a bench for years but then saw my bike mech had one on a stand. I love it because if you're on the hacksaw it doesn't wobble like an unfixed bench can. Also you get access all the way around if you place it in the right spot in your shed.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
with a pit like that and the tools you have you must drive around hoping for things to break :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
with a pit like that and the tools you have you must drive around hoping for things to break :)
Nope, but the wife reckons something breaks every time I touch something on the ute.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We had a discussion the other day about what I want to do with my tools and equipment should the worst occur. I was not really sure thinking I don't have a son to pass them on to and never will.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Different size vices are like different size spanners. Different job sizes for the right spanner, vice, socket, socket set, screw driver.
I know you know what l mean. Right tool for the job.

afstruct & losh both your tool setups sound absolutely great.
I recon I've made it sound better than it really is . If I cleaned it up they'd easily fit in chest. Three draws are set up nicely, 1 for metric spanners, 1 for imperial spanners and 1 for sockets /ratchets. Got foam and hot knifed spots for all of them, although I've now got some extra sockets which don't have spots .

Last edited: