Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will ZB be the end of GM in Australia

uz3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Here's the reason why the ZB will fail - its not because its imported, not because its FWD or missing a V8 - it will fail because GM are playing in a world were people who are buying mid-large sedans want nice things and fancy gizmos and its 2018 and GM are STILL pumping out brand new cars with out-of-date nav software!

https://www.motoring.com.au/holden-calais-v-2018-review-113499/

dah_man_ben

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tesla Model 3 Performance, Mazda 6
Don't you mean "Rodeo" as that's what the Colorado is. It's just that Holden are not allowed to use the name as it belongs to Izusu which is no longer a GM company and makes the Colorado for Holden and also as a Chevrolet for GM USA.

No - I know what a Rodeo is (was). I just mean that so many people refer to imported Holdens as Daewoos on the fact that they are traditionally a crap GM brand, and the imports Holden are flogging are of similar quality.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
GM are STILL pumping out brand new cars with out-of-date nav software!

Yes sending you to Petrol Stations that aren't there aint that great, but many cars are heading to Electric so that's even worse isn't it.

Well GM will still be making fossil fuelled cars long after the rest of the world has gone to alternative power sources I'm sure.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The question begs.....Everyone is painting the picture of doom and gloom for Holden....Ford import a RWD V8, have a fairly good selection of 4WD's, FWD's etc etc...They closed their doors to manufacturing cars in this country 12 months prior to Holden and Toyota and their sales figures overall the last time I looked were worse that Holden. Yet, there doesn't seem to be any negative press about them....Why?

The negative press, I don't mean on here, but through motoring magazines nor in the newspaper...

Honestly, I think it's people on this forum willing them to die....Might be wrong

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Check out the following as it pretty much supports what I wrote.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-advice/q-and-a/who-makes-the-holden-colorado-68202

Anyway back on to ZB...........................................

As I said, the one that I own.

https://plants.gm.com/Facilities/public/us/en/wentzville/news.html

"Wentzville Assembly was outfitted so that it can produce both vans and mid-size trucks on a single line and is the only plant producing the Colorado and Canyon in North America. "

Will be dumb to export from the USA, to darn expensive. I will no be surprised, the one you guys get is from somewhere else.

Ok, back to the ZB.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
The negative press, I don't mean on here, but through motoring magazines nor in the newspaper...

I guess this is all because Holden are seen to be an Adelaide based company way before GM ever got involved with them while Ford were always just seen to be an American orientated company along with Chrysler and when they took their bat and ball and left it was just another foreign company bailing on us, while "Holden" is seen to be Australian even though the Americans were really pulling all the strings.

It all goes back to that photo of Ben Chifley standing next to the first Australian built Production car at Fishermans Bend way back in 1948 and the "She's a Beauty" comment. It's part of who we are, but now it's just seen as who we were and that's the bitter pill many of us just can't get our heads, nor our tongues around.