Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Ref your centre caps, if the generic caps are a bit small, get some thin stick-on foam from Clark Rubber, and put a piece on each lug. This should work, it did for me when I put Ford caps (cough … as a temporary measure) in my genuine Calais rims which have a mongrel size.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
just rap the smaller caps with thin masking tape, build it up so its a tad bigger than than the wheel hole...smack em in. replace the tape when you replace the tyres about every 2 to 3 years....never liked the colored caps on alloy wheels :)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
So, OK my bad , my spare which is a copy does have a different center hole diameter, sorry.
Also had a look at the vx hsv center cap . The hsv decal is quite a bit different . The lion and helmet are a little different and a polished finish instead of satin.
I'm guessing, looking at your photos your center caps are the satin finish which would be the period correct finish .
So unless you are really lucky guessing matching your remaining ones is not going to be a couple dollars fix and that doesn't include getting an actual cap that fits.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I noticed your pinstriping is different to mine, are they the original or off a VS model?.
AFAIK it's original VR. I'm told its the S moulding but don't really know.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
All due respect afstruct, but those rims of yours are 17" or 18" aren't they? Losh has 16" rims, which would suggest they are aftermarket, which generally means the centre hole, for the centre cap is generally smaller than the factory rims....

Yeah , my original are the Maloo 16s and the other ones I put on it are 17s.
Just thought losh might have been lucky and whoever originally did those wheels didn't go to too much trouble in fitting hsv caps.
The fact is even if they fitted straight up , you'd have to be very patient and still pay more than is reasonable . ( the price of them is for people willing to pay for finishing pieces of a resto or replica ),this period hsv wheel caps are starting to head the same way as the cars themselves .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah that's why I said ouch.... 90 bucks a peice is crazy.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thought about trying to make your own? Own a printer, laminator?
Measure one of the caps diameter, get a hole saw. Make 12 of them. A few spares for when you lose one.
I think you get what l mean.
I have never done this myself, but thought about it.
Maybe get some printed up at a graphic artist? Probably a bit expensive that way.
Have a play with your printer. See what you can come up with.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah don't think I could justify that for my Maloo if I needed one.
By the time their worth a fair amount ( if ever) , the little bits will cost even more.

Maloos are going up but not near clubsport or even more senator and gts and if history is a guide will never be worth same as clubsport, even though they're way rarer and we have a love afair with utes.

I do have a set of badges for when one day it gets repainted ( although the Maloo stickers are the series III ones as you can't get genuine silver early ones).
Also got a brand new tonneau sitting in the shed if ever needed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was thinking about my ute and when I'm done with it. Probably only sell for 500 bucks, 1000 if I'm lucky. Because I have no lack of space i reckon id park it on gravel and wait until its worth something. As long as it doesn't rust out eventually it will go up in price. Old Holdens without rust are a rare find. Maybe in 30 years the VR would be like a HQ 6 cyl these days.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
On a side note, gotta love TV soap people trying to make out they know about cars. Some bloke says smell that, rotten egg gas, check the FPR or cat could be blocked and the car is not even running.....