Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your Maloo will be worth something one day. Its an iconic ute and a few more years they will be nice and rare. So my advice to you is, no more gravel loads..... You need to look after it:D

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Here, like most states club rego is cheap, get to use for club events and also 60 days log book use.
I think in Victoria car has to be 25 years old , nsw needs to be 30 years old.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We have club reg i just found out. It is fairly restricted and is only to be used to travel to and with an organised event. You need to be a club member. Car needs to be 30 years old.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Same as here except a few years ago they introduced a 60 day log book use as well.
Speaking to a few people up here if you're in the right club it's very flexible and can create a club event fairly easily .

Yeah , early maloo's are rare to start with. I believe from first to end of VS III less than 1400 made. There are some very small numbers of models within that number.

I would like a 10th anniversary one , have never even seen one let alone for sale.

A few years ago there was always at least 1 or 2 for sale at any time. These days sometimes there's none for sale.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
S.A, historic rego....Car has to be 30 years old...you must be a member of a club...90 days log book use....drive where ever and when ever you want...Just fill in the log book everytime you go out, with the exception going round the block for a quick free up.

Buy a car and have it approved for historic prior to registration and you don't pay stamp duty or transfer fees...Just cough up the rego which is $130 P/Y for a 6 cyl...Full rego for a year on a 6 cyl is just over $880 P/Y....

You can register the car for upto 5 years (I think) in 1 hit.....Normal rego you can only register it for max 1 year at a time.....

Down side.....misuse of the scheme, you get hooked full rego costs for the entire term the car has been on historic rego and never get approved for historic rego ever again. ie, if it's been on historic rego for 5 years, you get hooked the entire 5 years rego

Not sure how the scheme works for a car that has modifications done to it...ie hot rods, cars with engine modifications like bigger cams, aftermarket carbs/manifolds, diffs etc etc, as I haven't looked into it

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Because I have no lack of space i reckon id park it on gravel and wait until its worth something. As long as it doesn't rust out eventually it will go up in price. Old Holdens without rust are a rare find. Maybe in 30 years the VR would be like a HQ 6 cyl these days.

Don’t be silly by doing that. Unless a car has been under cover since new, it will eventually rust.
New HK …… no cover, full of rust in 5 years.
New HJ …… occasional cover, lasted 20 years before repairing rust became a losing battle. What I found when it was dismantled was scary.
Both were special orders from Holden, and would have been worth squillions in good condition now, but reality is.
Second owner of HQ Monaro, it was still in original condition when I sold it in 2010 as it had always been in a garage.
Park it on gravel, put a tarp over it, and in 20 years, you will find a brown stain and some plastic bits.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
S.A, historic rego....Car has to be 30 years old...you must be a member of a club...90 days log book use....drive where ever and when ever you want...Just fill in the log book everytime you go out, with the exception going round the block for a quick free up.

Buy a car and have it approved for historic prior to registration and you don't pay stamp duty or transfer fees...Just cough up the rego which is $130 P/Y for a 6 cyl...Full rego for a year on a 6 cyl is just over $880 P/Y....

You can register the car for upto 5 years (I think) in 1 hit.....Normal rego you can only register it for max 1 year at a time.....

Down side.....misuse of the scheme, you get hooked full rego costs for the entire term the car has been on historic rego and never get approved for historic rego ever again. ie, if it's been on historic rego for 5 years, you get hooked the entire 5 years rego

Not sure how the scheme works for a car that has modifications done to it...ie hot rods, cars with engine modifications like bigger cams, aftermarket carbs/manifolds, diffs etc etc, as I haven't looked into it

Misuse , that's fair enough, otherwise they'd end up taking the log book use off everyone because of the few that abuse the system.
Even the 60 days allowed up here , obviously allows you to use once a week if you want. Lots of club cars wouldn't get used nearly that much.
Wonder if the price of and more popularity of classic cars has a bit to do with these revised rules.

Up here to my knowledge still need an inspection every year, so guessing hot rods / modified cars would just need engineers certificate and pass as normal .
I'll have to ask one of my mates , he's into the street machine and hot rod scene.
Realize could be a bit different down there.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Misuse , that's fair enough, otherwise they'd end up taking the log book use off everyone because of the few that abuse the system.
Even the 60 days allowed up here , obviously allows you to use once a week if you want. Lots of club cars wouldn't get used nearly that much.
Wonder if the price of and more popularity of classic cars has a bit to do with these revised rules.

Up here to my knowledge still need an inspection every year, so guessing hot rods / modified cars would just need engineers certificate and pass as normal .
I'll have to ask one of my mates , he's into the street machine and hot rod scene.
Realize could be a bit different down there.

I believe they revised the rules with modified cars, because the historic rego rules were stiff....ie if you put a set of larger diametre mags on the car, from what it came out with ,you were misusing the log book system....That's for starters...

plus there are a few street machines/hot rods sitting idle for months on end, wasting rego, so I think a few people lobbied the transport dept to have another system implimented to allow them to get out and about at a cheaper rate, due to the lack of use they had...

Yes, hot rods etc need engineering approval, however ones approval is granted, that's the end of inspections.....

Historic rego vehicles are inspected every 3 years by clubs, to ensure they abide by the rules...Otherwise no transport dept inspections

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can still get H plates on some cars with 'period' mods although very minor stuff that can be put back to standard...all depends on club rules/interpretation.

M plates now available for heavily modified cars as long as they're engineered & car club will sign off on it...not many clubs will risk passing a heavily modified car even with engineers.

60 day scheme same rules apply.

AFAIK 30yrs old & yearly inspections to get those forklift number plates on our ol jalopies in NSW.

*part of reason buying vp ute was it's eligibility for 60 day scheme in a few years time & the fact car is worth sweet f/a glorified trailer duties although that's what makes me like it over nicer cars.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice, yeah, I'd like to keep the Maloo long enough to put it on club rego.
Not shore if I can wait 8 more years but. Certainly don't want it to be daily for that time frame. Am wondering whether to lay it up for a few years but brings with it its own problems and storing it somewhere that doesn't really cost is a big one.