Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Losh's VR Ute build thread

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by losh1971, Nov 11, 2017.

1. MrVR263

MrVR263 Member

Members Ride:
    VR commodore ute
    Did you fit a standard single row timing chain or did you fit a double row chain when it was done?

2. MrVR263

MrVR263 Member

Members Ride:
    VR commodore ute
    I'll keep you in mind when I work out what I'm doing with stroker v6 what sort of dollars would you look at spending just at a ballpark? I'm either going to sell most of the drivetrain off and look at something different or just throw some boost at it and see how it holds up without spending much.. I see you got some stats seats here's a few pics of vs Calais seats and door trims and console with and Calais options in the Ute now a whole lot of sound deadening to keep things quite and cool elec windows elec mirrors factory central locking catches. Looks better than the full black racing seat interior it had when I brought it. Like your Ute build btw.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    losh1971 likes this.
  3. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    The Calais stuff always looks really nice if it's in good nick. It's also far more practical than high sided seats that are only good for one thing..................sitting in, in the straight ahead position and nothing else.

VS_Pete, MrVR263 and losh1971 like this.
  4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    single row, double row wasn't available from my supplier, plus they can cause complications when fitting.

5. MrVR263

MrVR263 Member

Members Ride:
    VR commodore ute
    Ok no worries if it was a double row the balance shaft gets deleted by the removal of the drive gear. Here's more pics vs-lover. It's a VR Ute so don't hold that against me lol.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    VS_Pete likes this.
  6. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    New PBR MC went on today, thanks @vs-lover and Pete. Workshop next to work fitted it. $64 including brake fluid. Love it when I get the bill from Rons Automotive, it's always less than I expect.
    20191121_164853.jpg

VS_Pete, greenacc, UTE042_NZ and 3 others like this.
  7. vs-lover

vs-lover Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
    Gee that's one good lookin' Master Cylinder Losh ! ;););)

VS_Pete and losh1971 like this.
  8. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Had a think about it, I might be interested at 250 bucks for the engine alone. I don't want nor like manuals. Probably a lot less that you want but it's 270 bucks, plus fuel each way for me to pick it up. I have a pretty decent engine now and could certainly gain some more horses for a fair bit less cost and time traveling than i would if i made a special trip to the mainland to pick up an engine. I'd probably have to pay for it to be fitted. I don't have the time to do transplants myself on a car that gets driven 6 or 7 days a week.

9. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    The other thing for me right now is im not looking to spend any significant money on the ute other than what is necessary to keep it on the road. Im trying to save another $30k so i can build a new shed. I am also now playing on my bike and might go back to racing this year.
    Because of that ute is on the back burner. I am still collecting some parts but not going too silly on the ute for the next 6 - 8 months.

10. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    I bought some posts today. I ended up having to go second hand as the aftermarket ones won't fit a VR, as VS on are different which are easy enough to get. I looked at some on a couple of VS utes and yeah different to earlier models, go figure. Wrecker didn't have any VR ute's that I could see he must have sold it in the last few months. But he had some HQ ute's in stock and they use the same ones as VR, which I found out when speaking to Rare Spares, when trying to track them down.

11. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    So as a number of people know i have been trying to track down a tub liner for over six months without success. But today i started thinking what a PITA they are if you need to access the shock tops and fuel tank. Therefore i am thinking now i might be better off with a base liner instead of the full one with sides. I also never really did like the way the full liners buldge in the sun.
    So i have pulled it out and was surprised to see the paint in very good condition. Couple of panels need unscrewing and repaint but the bulk of that area is great. I have found some base mats on the net and i am thinking one of those will be the go.
    20191226_134610.jpg

12. keith reed

keith reed Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
    I have a tub liner on my ute. I had to get at the fuel tank once and also when I replaced the shock absorbers. It's a bit awkward to get in and out but I didn't find it too bad. It's not a job you do all that often, I think they are well worthwhile though it's not really an issue if you can't find one.

afstruct likes this.
  13. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Used a sponge scourer on some of the tub with some cutting compound, after washing it out. Managed to clean up some of the rub marks.
    Definitely going with a mat rather than the full liner. I think the ease of accessing the floor will worth it. It will also help to dry the tub out and prevent rust.
    I am going to repaint some of the removable side covers and replace all the screws with either some nice black ones or some shiny zink ones.
    On another quick note i found brand new tonneau covers for 75 bucks. Wished i seen theme before I paid 50 for my SH one that needs two new toggles and a new post clip.
    20191226_162119.jpg

14. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    I seem to recall that the early Holden utes had timber floors with metal hold down strips and the painted areas were done in a heavy, fleck type paint designed to absorb knocks and scratches better than standard paint. If you plan to just have the mat, perhaps a heavier, more protective finish on the sides might be worth considering.

losh1971 likes this.
  15. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Yeah I did ask a question in the spray painting thread about the textured coating that goes in tubs. No replies yet. I seen something in the SCA catalogue but its not available for del and my local doesn't stock it. It's a roll on gear that has a rough texture. My mate used it on his HJ many years ago. Other than that i was thinking of a few coats of clear to make what is there a bit more durable.

16. Chuckmeister

Chuckmeister Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS
    It's been a while since I've painted cars but I have done loads of ute trays in my time.
    Using a stone guard and using the proper spatter gun will give the tray a nice thick textured finish. On your ute, I would not go to the (very)top edge..rather an inch down and follow that line. The whole car will need to be masked up...this can go everywhere if not careful.
    You can get stone guard in white or black and I used to paint the colour wet on wet (but I cant remember if I used to wet coat a primer over first). Wont hurt in any case.
    Don't bother with cans from supercheap...its thin,watery, expensive and pretty much useless for anything other than small jobs where you are trying to hide something.

losh1971 likes this.
  17. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    @losh1971, there are also spray on tub liners that are supposed to be rather good. Line-X and Rhino Linnings are just two examples.
    I've got no idea about their cost but Rhino Linings does have a dealer in Berrnie so maybe worth chatting to them ;)

Rhino Linings Burnie
    Mobile: 0418375526

18. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Thanks Skylarking, Rare Spares have some gear like Rhino that looks the goods. Reckon i will order some tintable gear early next year. They only keep the black gear in stock and i like to keep tbe tub cool as i can for my best mate. So i will get some in a cream colour.

Skylarking likes this.
  19. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Doing some more touch up. I have decided to coat the tub in this textured epoxy type gear bit like rhino. But in preparation for that i have decided to respray the rails inside and out. Also need to touch up the top of the taigate where the tub liner had rubbed off the paint, plus years of tonneau cover straps haven't helped. 20191229_123552.jpg 20191229_123558.jpg

VS_Pete likes this.
  20. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Couple of more pics, top coat on plus some clear as i am getting low of Alaskan White. 20191229_133002.jpg 20191229_132329.jpg