Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

when will last VF sell? place your bets

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In think in Victoria, new and used cars are treated differently with respect to the stamp duty payable on first registration. And as to not disadvantage motor vehicle dealers in their state, they were given a concession where demonstarator vehicles could be registered without incurring stamp duty. When the demonstrator was finally on-sold, it attracted something akin to a new car stamp duty charge that the purchaser paid. Not sure whether “demonstrator vehicles” are treated similarly or not in other states.

Also, Holden had a 7 year warranty for vehicles registered within a given period. To grab this 7 year manufacturers warranty, many dealers registered their stock as demonstrators to lock in the longer warranty, particularly in Victoria where it was a no cost issue for the dealer who though5 their “hens teeth” would command a huge premium.

As it turned out, Holden went to a 7 year warranty across the board so it turned out yeh greedy dealers didn’t need to register so many “demonstrators” o_O

But, whether new or demonstrator, the only real concern for most people is the kilometres on the oddometer and whether it was stored under cover or out the back under a tree.

For me the real issue was, and still is, that the VF was a run out model but down under no discounting was provided as the dealers and Holden were simply being greedy pigs. Hense we still see games being played in 2019 and will never have a clear answer to the OP’s question.

Meanwhile, GM showed more sense and discounted the last of the Chevy SS’s some 30% and quickly got them off the books into owners hands. When the last SS was sold would be clearly and unambiguously answered in the USA.

Down under, when will the last VF sell? How long is a piece of string?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When a car is sold as a demonstrator, and is a 2 year old, superseded model, wouldn't it be expected to sell at a healthy discount?
Usually, but the same would be said of it being sold as a 2 year old brand-new superseded model.
It's about supply vs demand, if VF2 prices aren't dropping like the traditional Commodore stone then the sellers must think the demand is there to support the higher-than-ever-before "old vehicle" prices.

Therein lies the issue. They should be sold as used cars and priced accordingly. Irrespective of how low the kms are, it is pure fantasy to claim they are still demos. By definition, a 'demo' is a car you test drive with a view to buying a 'new' vehicle of the same make. Very difficult to do that now in the case of VF.

2yr old = used. End of story.
By this logic, the still-new never-sold never-registered cars would be used, too. :)
They're not really used; they're just old.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Interesting semantics problem there … if I recall, the 1500km service should have been free? But I don't think there was any sort of time frame for the 1500km service!

Yes there was a timeframe, if I remember correctly it was stipulated at 1500km or 1 month whichever occurs first.
So if the car was registered some time prior to purchase, the 1 month would have expired. This 1500km was not a service though, it was only a check to make sure everything was where it should be and no fluids were leaking.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
. As for vc commodore, it is all very well to drive past many dealers and pass comments but it would not hurt popping in and having a chat with them and sharing any information provided with the wider Commodore community. Incidentally, I have not only used their website but other sources as well, but as I stated earlier, I am wasting my time.

When you're on the way to a service job at 4 O'clock in the afternoon, it is difficult to pop in for a quick chat to ask about how many "new" VF's they have in stock.....For some unknown reason, truckies get a little peeved waiting for a puncture to be done on the side of the road, when you state a time you'll be there.

But to satisfy you, I'll try and get time over the weekend to pop in and ask them, so it can be shared

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
Hardly helpful content just more nonsensical dribble

When you're on the way to a service job at 4 O'clock in the afternoon, it is difficult to pop in for a quick chat to ask about how many "new" VF's they have in stock.....For some unknown reason, truckies get a little peeved waiting for a puncture to be done on the side of the road, when you state a time you'll be there.

But to satisfy you, I'll try and get time over the weekend to pop in and ask them, so it can be shared

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hardly helpful content just more nonsensical dribble

Have you read the thread? VC is just explaining to BAITCH why he couldn't drop in to the dealer and ask about how many new VF's they still have.

The fact that he bothered to report back on what he could see as he drove past should be commended.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
By this logic, the still-new never-sold never-registered cars would be used, too.

You don't think that two year old cars still sitting on the lot and more than likely showing signs of deterioration should be classed as used?

At what point do we draw the line? A new car has certain attributes, ie surely it's reasonable to expect a recent build date, immaculate bodywork/interior and perhaps features and qualities of a contemporary nature etc. I would say it's becoming a stretch to suggest that any remaining VFII's fit this criteria.

By your logic, we could unearth any undriven/unregistered car and claim it as 'new' despite when it was manufactured?

Last edited: