Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Matt's ZB RS-V wagon long term review

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Up

Update on my warranty issues:
  • Still waiting for front control arms to fix noisy bushes.
  • Left rear door speaker now working - cable was not connected....
  • Auto stop now working - needed a new battery. Battery must of had a fault and was telling the computer it wasn't charged so auto stop would never cut in. BTW - removing the battery took mechanic over an hour had to pull half the rear of the wagon apart...!
  • Vibration rattle in rear left luggage compartment above battery compartment now toned down - mechanic placed strip of foam tape against the window and the plastic panel.
I am really starting to enjoy driving this car! Spoke to a Cop here in SA as they have the RS V6 liftbacks for patrol cars and he could not speak highly enough about them. They all fight to get in them over the VF's that are left.

Has anyone got new tyres yet? I dont reckon the Continentals on mine will even get 20,000. Looking for recommendations?
Your cop mate must be rare one, mates telling me they fight for the last VFS, especially the few sv6 left.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Up

Update on my warranty issues:
  • Still waiting for front control arms to fix noisy bushes.
  • Left rear door speaker now working - cable was not connected....
  • Auto stop now working - needed a new battery. Battery must of had a fault and was telling the computer it wasn't charged so auto stop would never cut in. BTW - removing the battery took mechanic over an hour had to pull half the rear of the wagon apart...!
  • Vibration rattle in rear left luggage compartment above battery compartment now toned down - mechanic placed strip of foam tape against the window and the plastic panel.
I am really starting to enjoy driving this car! Spoke to a Cop here in SA as they have the RS V6 liftbacks for patrol cars and he could not speak highly enough about them. They all fight to get in them over the VF's that are left.

Has anyone got new tyres yet? I dont reckon the Continentals on mine will even get 20,000. Looking for recommendations?

Continental Sport Contact 5's are notorious for fast wearing and I agree and think i'll be lucky to get 20,000 km's from mine. That said I have been impressed with their grip.
I have had enjoyed exceptional durability and grip in previous vehicles with Michelin Primacy 3 and the newly developed Michelin Primacy 4 is achieving excellent results in comparative tests, see here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Auto-Navigator-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
I recently fitted a set of these new Primacy 4's to my wife's car because I want her to have the best and safest tyre you can buy, (and she's thinks they're fantastic) and will fit a set of them to my Calais V when required. If you want the last word in sport grip and are prepared to accept somewhat less durability the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 would be an excellent choice in my opinion or for those with 20 inch rims the Pilot Sport 4S. (I don't work for Michelin or have any business relationship with them, I just think they make exceptionally good tyres).

See what some of your fellow countrymen are saying about the new Michelin Primacy 4 here https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/michelin-primacy-4

Last edited:

Redlinejimmy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS-V Sportswagon
Your cop mate must be rare one, mates telling me they fight for the last VFS, especially the few sv6 left.
Nope no BS! They love the ZB's over the VF. And thought I would never say it but I drove my Wife's VEII SV6 wagon the other day and couldn't wait to get back into my RS-V. It felt heavy, sluggish on pick up and handled like a boat!

Redlinejimmy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS-V Sportswagon
Continental Sport Contact 5's are notorious for fast wearing and I agree and think i'll be lucky to get 20,000 km's from mine. That said I have been impressed with their grip.
I have had enjoyed exceptional durability and grip in previous vehicles with Michelin Primacy 3 and the newly developed Michelin Primacy 4 is achieving excellent results in comparative tests, see here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2019-Auto-Navigator-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm
I recently fitted a set of these new Primacy 4's to my wife's car because I want her to have the best and safest tyre you can buy, (and she's thinks they're fantastic) and will fit a set of them to my Calais V when required. If you want the last word in sport grip and are prepared to accept somewhat less durability the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 would be an excellent choice in my opinion or for those with 20 inch rims the Pilot Sport 4S. (I don't work for Michelin or have any business relationship with them, I just think they make exceptionally good tyres).

See what some of your fellow countrymen are saying about the new Michelin Primacy 4 here https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/michelin-primacy-4
Thanks Badgerdog! I do like the Conti Contact 5's. Very quiet and like you said hang in the corners but not practical for me doing above average k's per year.
Thanks for the info I might throw a set of Michy's on next.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
I think my Calais V tourer is a better drive than my old VF Redline, it may miss out on the outright grunt and fantastic sound of the V8 but handles way better than the VF. Being AWD it just turns in so much quicker and is way quicker out of and through corners. As a "drivers" car the ZB is just better.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I think my Calais V tourer is a better drive than my old VF Redline, it may miss out on the outright grunt and fantastic sound of the V8 but handles way better than the VF. Being AWD it just turns in so much quicker and is way quicker out of and through corners. As a "drivers" car the ZB is just better.

interesting I've driven 2 ZBs a rental 2l and that was quite a quick car and ok in handling, test drove a VXR and just gave impression of being heavy and slow(wasn't lively) had done 5000kms as seemed to like a drink.

Fredbasset

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais 2.0 DT

I am at 24k km on my Conti Sport Contact 5 tires. Still have about 60% thread with them.

benny66

Benno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY14 Calais V ZB MY18 Calais V
interesting I've driven 2 ZBs a rental 2l and that was quite a quick car and ok in handling, test drove a VXR and just gave impression of being heavy and slow(wasn't lively) had done 5000kms as seemed to like a drink.
Before I ended up getting my Calais V Tourer I test drive a VXR and also a Calais V hatchback. These both have the 20 inch rims and sit lower. These had a thump sound when going over bumps and yes seemed heavy to me too. The Tourer on the other hand with 18 inch rims and higher profile tyres was a smoother ride. Oh and has different tyre brand. You need to test a Tourer as it is a different drive to the hatchback and vxr. The one thing that i liked a lot in the vxr was the sport seats they were glorious and leave the Calais V seats for dead.