Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do I lock my VF2 at the beach?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Just tested this and it worked for me. I’m facing the same issue of locking the car at the beach. I use a lockbox and with the key inside it you could still open the door pressing the button on the door handle. I’ll be testing this out soon.

It's pretty easy to take the battery out of the fob... do that before putting it in the lock box just to be sure?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hope this isn't a silly question, but my dilemma is this:
My VF2 has keyless entry and start.
If I go surfing what do I do with the key?
If I hide it under the car, the key being near the car allows the doors to be open.
I can't take the "$350.00" key into the water.

Can anyone think of a reasonable solution?

With my VT2 I had a blank key (no remote) that I could put in my shorts pocket. Just used it to open doors and kept remote key in glove box. Can't do that with the new VF2 due to the passive entry.

Take the battery out of the key and the pkes will not work.

You could also get a ebay key cut and the fob programmed so you replicate what you had with your vt2.

You will just have to lock and unlock it using the blade in the door and when you goto start it put the key in the console slot for it to sense the fob.

EDIT:
I should add this to avoid confusion...

"Pkes" is the passive entry system and requires power from the battery in the key to work.

A "fob" is the rfid chip in the key that does not require power from a battery like the older immobilizer setups.

You can unlock/start the vf with just the fob and key blade.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 Commodore Calais V8
Take the battery out of the key and the pkes will not work.

You could also get a ebay key cut and the fob programmed so you replicate what you had with your vt2.

You will just have to lock and unlock it using the blade in the door and when you goto start it put the key in the console slot for it to sense the fob.

EDIT:
I should add this to avoid confusion...

"Pkes" is the passive entry system and requires power from the battery in the key to work.

A "fob" is the rfid chip in the key that does not require power from a battery like the older immobilizer setups.

You can unlock/start the vf with just the fob and key blade.
your explanation is illuminating! I didn't have any idea of the ability of the key to unlock and start the VF without battery power! Does the flat key battery starting utilise the cotact point inside the centre console? Id almost forgotten about t6hat HaHa!What does rfid mean?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
Stating the obvious and probably on the wrong Tram but with a VE you get a 'surf' key cut that only opens the door so you leave the key fob locked in your car.'
I know things changed with the VF.

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
Hope this isn't a silly question, but my dilemma is this:
My VF2 has keyless entry and start.
If I go surfing what do I do with the key?
If I hide it under the car, the key being near the car allows the doors to be open.
I can't take the "$350.00" key into the water.

Can anyone think of a reasonable solution?

With my VT2 I had a blank key (no remote) that I could put in my shorts pocket. Just used it to open doors and kept remote key in glove box. Can't do that with the new VF2 due to the passive entry.

Put the key inside a metal box or wrap it in foil and hide it in the car. Metal box or foil will prevent the car from detecting it.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Put the key inside a metal box or wrap it in foil and hide it in the car. Metal box or foil will prevent the car from detecting it.
How do you get back in the car when locked?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Does VF still have that deadlock feature if you manually lock it? Where if you do Something with the key, manually, the car won’t electronically unlock? Although I never used it, when that was in the VS (or was it VR?) I thought it was a neat feature at a time when criminals were starting to get Cute with little black boxes to capture & then re-transmit lock/unlock signals.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
^ Does VF still have that deadlock feature if you manually lock it? Where if you do Something with the key, manually, the car won’t electronically unlock? Although I never used it, when that was in the VS (or was it VR?) I thought it was a neat feature at a time when criminals were starting to get Cute with little black boxes to capture & then re-transmit lock/unlock signals.

It was available up until the VE. Handy feature as you had to manually unlock the car when you returned.