Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke impressions

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I tend to agree that motoring Journalists don't usually bite the hand that feeds but if a vehicle is that bad then you will quickly hear about it and what's the best way to find out about a car you're planning to buy, a forum like this of course as it chockers with first hand experience and owner's who are interested in their cars and happily talk about the pros and cons of them.
Car magazines review new cars, and they don't keep them long enough for the sorts of problems we see around here to happen to our (5yo) cars.
This is how a P76 or a Camira or an Astron-II Magna can get COTY.
Wheels for example reports problems with their "long term" test cars - but it's still only 6 months.

Moon-landing conspiracy theories about how MOTOR never reported on timing-chain problems in brand new Commodores when the HFV6 first came out ... that's not because Holden was paying the bills, that's because you need a car that's more than a week old for it to happen.
The first I heard of Ecomoo VS's and their oil-consumption problems was from car magazines ...

If you're using a car magazine to judge reliability of something, you're doing it wrong (except I do vaguely recall the Alfa Romeo 33 QV review where the journo found 5 extra screws rolling around in the footwell when they handed the car back after a few days :)).

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Car magazines review new cars, and they don't keep them long enough for the sorts of problems we see around here to happen to our (5yo) cars.
Wheels for example reports problems with their "long term" test cars - but it's still only 6 months.

Moon-landing conspiracy theories about how MOTOR never reported on timing-chain problems in brand new Commodores when the HFV6 first came out ... that's not because Holden was paying the bills, that's because you need a car that's more than a week old for it to happen.
The first I heard of Ecomoo VS's and their oil-consumption problems was from car magazines ...

If you're using a car magazine to judge reliability of something, you're doing it wrong (except I do vaguely recall the Alfa Romeo 33 QV review where the journo found 5 extra screws rolling around in the footwell when they handed the car back after a few days :)).

I'm not going to argue about any of this as what you say is valid but I did some media work for Holden at the release of the VE and like all companies in this world they do everything possible to ensure positive reviews upon release.

And it's at the release of a new model that the impressions are formed, none of my friends have any interest in cars and none of them would know if the cars they own have inherent fault nor do they care.

Owners like us who take an interest and join forums may argue the point on the worthiness of a car but many more people are more interested in the colour.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
always look at the source, how bad is the inevitable bias.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

who said anything about the longevity of the vehicle?
no one said anything about "using a magazine to judge the reliability of a vehicle"

that is just nonsense.

my original comment was about advertorials and positive reviews of a customers product to someone who had read those advertorials then jumped into the vehicle and found that the advertorial did overstate the quality or comfort of the product leading them to wonder if the journalist had "rose colored glasses".
that is because the "positive" advertorial was paid for by holden.

if you want to talk about a flat earth concept this is one right here
the real issue is that there aren't really any truly terrible cars any more
go tell that to anyone who has purchased a lemon vehicle in the last 5/10 years and see what they tell you about your conspiracy theory o_O

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
sadly the regular 186 in the Kingswood put the 6 in the VE omega to shame, all new models should be better in every aspect doesn't always happen though, just look at the VL vs VN.
The 186 had the best bore:stroke ratio of all the old red sixes. It was a smooth and torque engine for its time, with the first fitment, the HR, being the right weight for the 186. Later models heaped on the weight and the ol' 86 had to work harder.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
who said anything about the longevity of the vehicle?
Ahem:
go tell that to anyone who has purchased a lemon vehicle in the last 5/10 years and see what they tell you about your conspiracy theory o_O

my original comment was about advertorials and positive reviews of a customers product to someone who had read those advertorials then jumped into the vehicle and found that the advertorial did overstate the quality or comfort of the product leading them to wonder if the journalist had "rose colored glasses".
that is because the "positive" advertorial was paid for by holden.
No, it's because the journalist is writing from within the context of the market segment/niche, and whoever this person is had incorrect expectations.
If Joe Journo says a Yaris interior is good, you're not going to expect it to exactly compare to an Audi S8 or a new Bentley.

Having said that, I am talking about proper enthusiast car magazines. Stuff like what NRMA puts in the Open Road is pretty Amateur Hour.

Last edited:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The 186 had the best bore:stroke ratio of all the old red sixes. It was a smooth and torque engine for its time, with the first fitment, the HR, being the right weight for the 186. Later models heaped on the weight and the ol' 86 had to work harder.

thus proving once and for all the HR is the best vehicle ever built - fite me.

to whoever said there are no crap vehicles built today, hahahahahahaha

may i present the Craptiva (even has crap in the name) and the goddam Cruze auto.

We are also on the brink of properly bulk mainstream China cars - these things are gonna be entertaining.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
to whoever said there are no crap vehicles built today, hahahahahahaha

may i present the Craptiva (even has crap in the name) and the goddam Cruze auto.
OK so an HR is way cooler than a Craptiva or Cruze, and when choosing to drive (as opposed to commuting for example where you're only driving because you have to) I'd waaaay prefer to be driving the HR ... but can you name one metric where the Captiva & Cruze aren't better?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
OK so an HR is way cooler than a Craptiva or Cruze, and when choosing to drive (as opposed to commuting for example where you're only driving because you have to) I'd waaaay prefer to be driving the HR ... but can you name one metric where the Captiva & Cruze aren't better?

reliability