Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Door Speaker recommendations for VF SSV Redline

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I added a sub woofer to my redline when I purchased it in 2017 (Actually had the same setup in my MY14 Calais V so it was just moved across from the previous car).

While it sounds good with the additional sub woofer, I want better sound in the car coming from the door speakers. As you all know, the redline comes with the Bose system with Amp. The speakers are better than the standard that are in the SV6/SS and evoke but they are not the greatest. They don't come from a factory called Bose either :( I've seen the invoice lol.

I came across some door brackets which you can purchase online. This saves the need to cut the speakers out of the original speakers as the bracket and speaker for the door speakers are in one molded bracket. Brackets are Aerpro APS294R and APS294F
The speakers are 6.5 inch. I'm sure they are 4 Ohms in the VF. (The VE with the higher level sound system had 2 Ohm speakers)

I want to know if anyone else changed the door speakers in their VF SS or Motorsport and what have you used. I'm happy to keep existing amp for now.

Pics below are the additional sub woofer I added in my 2013 and 2017 VF vehicles.

Attachments

• Sub 2.jpg
    Sub 2.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Sub 3.jpg
    Sub 3.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 274
  • Sub 4.jpg
    Sub 4.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 283

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I think Kicker do some 2ohm 6.5” component speakers.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think Kicker do some 2ohm 6.5” component speakers.
Yeah, but you're probably better to get a reputable brand like MB Quart or Focal if you're spending Kicker money (Kicker is about others hearing your doof-doof OUTSIDE the car) ... if you're not spending that much, just go with Sony or Alpine or Kenwood.
The problem isn't just the 6.5" measurement, good speakers can be too deep for a door, which is why I hadn't responded on this thread - I don't know what actually fits. :)
It's a bit of a bummer ... the Focal website tells me they have OEM-replacement kits which would be brilliant, but only really for European & some American cars. Nothing for us. :(

Despite the extra effort involved, I personally think that something in the OEM spot which doesn't appear modded is a better solution. If these Aerpro brackets are visible, I dunno, is it worth it?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, but you're probably better to get a reputable brand like MB Quart or Focal if you're spending Kicker money (Kicker is about others hearing your doof-doof OUTSIDE the car) ... if you're not spending that much, just go with Sony or Alpine or Kenwood.
The problem isn't just the 6.5" measurement, good speakers can be too deep for a door, which is why I hadn't responded on this thread - I don't know what actually fits. :)
It's a bit of a bummer ... the Focal website tells me they have OEM-replacement kits which would be brilliant, but only really for European & some American cars. Nothing for us. :(

Despite the extra effort involved, I personally think that something in the OEM spot which doesn't appear modded is a better solution. If these Aerpro brackets are visible, I dunno, is it worth it?

The brackets allow a 6.5 speaker to fit the OEM hole. My issue is how deep I can go with the speaker. I need to take the door skin off and have a look. I only have looked at the VE not the VF which is different. One thing I noticed is the Director sounds better than the Redline. Redline has 53k kms on it and the Director only 2.5k kms so I wonder if years of use really takes the toll on the original speakers. Both cars were built in 2017 and have the same speakers in the BOM.

iamandrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
I fitted alpine type R into my standard SV6 Storm Setup, waste of time and money honestly.
If your running an Amp setup you should get some increase in quality/sound, but yeah, i duno what the stock head unit puts out, maybe 5 WRMS each? i duno but its Crap
The local car audio place said id need to do some converter unit to get the most out of it.
I did need to make spacers to make sure the magnet didnt hit the window mechanism as well

Tailgunner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2 SSV Redline wagon
I swapped Polk DB25(?) or something in the doors.
#JCadvice
Great rig.
+1 from me.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
My fav to use are JBL GTO, but they are 4ohm and the VE/VF needs 2 ohm speakers.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
My fav to use are JBL GTO, but they are 4ohm and the VE/VF needs 2 ohm speakers.
Is the VF with Bose amp require 2 Ohm speakers as well?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
2 ohm speakers? That's a bit sad ... they only get used when you're too cheap to use the amp with the 2c's worth of transistors and you only want to use the 1c's worth of transistors in the amp which goes in the $60k car ... and sound-quality doesn't matter.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm quite sure that the sound engineers and designers at Holden would have put a fair amount of time into getting the sound system that way for a reason. Considering it's their job and profession, and the dollars that would have been dropped into the sound system development, it shouldn't be written off flippantly.