Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What VF parts are you stockpiling for later use?

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
anyone know where to find buy a start stop button, have looked through ebay and alan mance with no luck
i want one for my stash thanks guys

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
As effortless as Ebay is, Holden could be cheaper for bits and pieces. Ie. Wagon roof rail front trim L&R, Holden $150, Ebay $150+$50 postage. Bought two from Holden, saved $100 in postage.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
On the topic of roof rail trim and to some degree, side windscreen trim, when it starts to degrade, replace pronto. I discovered scratching 10x that of the rest of the car in the paint on both sides of the roof trim. The very edge of the side windscreen moulding that's rubber and contacts the glass, starts to break away eventually, also potentially lodging a chunk of hard rubber in your sponge, but the roof trim really breaks down so finely and slowly you may not realise. I haven't noticed any issues with other wearing/lack lustre exerior trim falling apart.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I like to stockpile but that's because I have good first hand knowledge of the pain in the bum it is to source good, new, second hand and repo parts for old cars and these days I like to be prepared.

If you don't intend to keep your car then cool, no need to do it, if you are keeping it and you eventually decide to off load it the spares you purchased early on will more than pay for themselves when you also sell them.

A mate of mine purchased a mixed of 12 genuine GTS HJ, HX and HZ dash facias and gauges back in the late 70's when he worked in spare parts for a Holden dealership and though he didn't end up buying an island in Tahiti, he did make a very tidy profit some 30 odd years later.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I wonder what rapid manufacturing technologies will bring to parts production and supply?

3D printing has come a long way. I’ve seen 3D printed engine blocks and 3D printed sand casts for metal casting. Of course, there is 3D printing of plastic parts fairly readily available now. The technology is still relatively expensive, but the technology seems to be developing in leaps and bounds.

I’ve heard that the military has invested heavily in mobile 3D printing capabilities so that they can make field repairs on military equipment.

With a bit of luck, in the future, we might be able to order car parts to have them printed on order?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
With a bit of luck, in the future, we might be able to order car parts to have them printed on order?
I’m sure at some stage there will be multiple material printers which will be able to print parts in mixed metal, plastic and other materials. Heck they may even be able to integrate chip placement capabilities so you’d be able to make complex parts with integrated electronics.

In future, such capabilities could allow an expensive 3D printer that is able to print itself, so the printers unit cost should approach that of the material costs for the print. You may be able to have your own complex 3D multi material printer at home :cool:

Sadly, such would obviously never happen as companies push for 3D printer file DRM and wider design patent protection which means this great technologies ultimate potential may never be fully achieved :confused:

As for car parts, doubt Holden (or any manufacturer truer) will sit ideally by and let others make parts (or sell 3D print files) for their cars without paying some royalty for the privilege :eek: Price will never be low as a result :confused:

At the moment, the only manufacturer I know that provides 3D printed parts for some old/rare models is Porsche. With these parts, price is probably not an issue when, for example people pay $230k for a rusted 356 as occured just the other week @ a Shannon’s auction.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
anyone know where to find buy a start stop button, have looked through ebay and alan mance with no luck
i want one for my stash thanks guys
I got mine from Holden ex melb. They matched ebays price of $85 after initially quoting $96 or thereabouts

15SUPERSPORT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore/Chevy SS
Not sure of the exchange rate or shipping but RockAuto.com has them cheap, oem.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet
Screenshot_20210228-211901.png