Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would upgrading my LS3 redline devalue it?

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
I've just gone through this decision making process with my Magnum. at the end of the day you need to decide what you want out of it.

Keeping it? go for it, & get as much fun out of it as you can.

"investment"? I'd leave it as is.

I have no intensions of selling so the decision was a no brainer for me.

Good luck!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
It all depends....
Some people have no issue with reasonable mods...

My moto is that all mods have to be be easily reversed. That's how far I am willing to take it....
I am keeping all my factory oem parts where I swapped them with something else..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
With engine mods, simply keep all the original parts so it can be returned to standard if some future buyer has an originality OCD :p

If you also go for old school body mods, like metal flairs and other tastless things many did to old late 70's holdens probably in the late 80's, well that's a little different as many actually ended up removing them to get back to stock(ish) looks for the extra resale value...

But at the end of the day, keep stock parts if you've got storage room as they may have value in future. But don't avoid doing mods if you want someting as life is too short and YOLO...

Who knows, stuff happens and you may do everything right for excellent resale but you may be dead before you realise any profits from such "collectables" :eek:

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I've just gone through this decision making process with my Magnum. at the end of the day you need to decide what you want out of it.

Keeping it? go for it, & get as much fun out of it as you can.

"investment"? I'd leave it as is.

I have no intensions of selling so the decision was a no brainer for me.

Good luck!
I have been following your post about should I modify and will follow this . It's been nearly 4 years since I got the magnum and in some ways I regret buying it as I have been reluctant to do any mods to it because it is a limited edition. Mods so far are slimline window monsoons a holden rubber mat for the back a 340 r8 intake and ryco rcc350 catch can . I know it's hardly real Mods and I am disappointed with myself for not doing more . I never brought the ute to make money but to be honest I never expected it to increase in value I was hoping the magnum was not going to devalue as fast as the non LEs and I have no intention of selling but I'm not going to say never because you never know what's going to happen in the future. Anyway I am still in 2 minds about the Mods I personally think there is no right or wrong answer to doing the basic bolt ons .I used to think for every $1000 spent on Mods you devalued the car by $1000 so $2000 loss but who knows or cares

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Do all the mods you want and keep all the parts you replace , then put them all back on when you want to sell it and resell the mods
I dont know about the $1000 of mods devalue it $1000 or that would mean my cars worth $15.000

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don’t think that the question was about ’investment’ and the implication of increased value. The car/model will go up or down by whatever the market determines.

As much as I like modifications, my view is that you should go in to modifications with your eyes wide open. Spending money on modifications usually doesn’t translate to increased value. So, don’t do any modifications with the justification that it’ll ‘add value’ as it probably won’t. - actually, it’ll almost certainly reduce the appeal of the car to most buyers and devalue it.

By all means do modifications if you want, but don’t expect that you’ll recover the expenditure at sales time. Do modifications for fun/interest/street-credibility/whatever-floats-your-boat, but don’t expect to recover your money spent on those modifications.

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
I personally don't believe so.
I have a 2017 Sept build ssv redline 6 speed manual and I have done bolt on work. Like for like as to what Walkinshaw do, but not through Walkinshaw. And Walkinshaw VFs are still priced reasonably high on Carsales . At least I can revert to stock if I ever felt I needed to. I reckon the exhaust and extractors compliment the car. That's my 2 cents.