Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak under alternator L77

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
IMG_20220912_221250176~2.jpg

Hi all

Noticed this week my aircon stopped working on my Calais L77 V8

Popped my head under the bonnet and noticed there's an oil leak that didn't exist 6 months ago under the alternator. I think this is where the air con hose attaches on the left of the photo and the bottom part is covered in black oil so assume engine oil. Just had my car serviced and this was missed which is odd. Car has 58k odo so pretty disappointing stuff. Any thoughts as to what it is? Thanks all really appreciate it

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
That will be aircon fluid, wipe the pipe on the right side of that picture with paper towel and if it has a green color then your ac pipe is leaking at the connector between the rubber hose and metal pipe.

Dont run the aircon until you get it repaired.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
View attachment 242307
Hi all

Noticed this week my aircon stopped working on my Calais L77 V8

Popped my head under the bonnet and noticed there's an oil leak that didn't exist 6 months ago under the alternator. I think this is where the air con hose attaches on the left of the photo and the bottom part is covered in black oil so assume engine oil. Just had my car serviced and this was missed which is odd. Car has 58k odo so pretty disappointing stuff. Any thoughts as to what it is? Thanks all really appreciate it
I think I agree with stooge. I had a leak behind the balancer so the pipes had some oil on top but not covered like yours and not so close to the crump.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
That will be aircon fluid, wipe the pipe on the right side of that picture with paper towel and if it has a green color then your ac pipe is leaking at the connector between the rubber hose and metal pipe.

Dont run the aircon until you get it repaired.
Yep, you will need to replace the suction/discharge pipes from the compressor to condenser. Or take to an reputable A/C repair shop and they may be able to replace the rubber hose and ferrule crimps instead of the whole hose assembly.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I currently have the same issue on my L77 Calais Wagon,
I first noticed the oil on the high pressure pipe, and the air con wasn’t as cold, I degreased the area in question,
So I got a top up tin of refrigerant gas and that fixed it,
But since noticed the refrigerant oil again, and double checked it with UV torch and confirmed it was air con oil (being fluorescent in Color to show leaks),
It also confirmed where it is leaking, at the compression fitting of the pipe and rubber hose,
I rang around and spoke to an Enzed hose repairer, and took the car to them to show them the pipe in question and they quoted me $180-$200 to repair it off the car,
Last year I rang a now ex-Holden dealer and the pipe was still available, so I ordered and purchased the replacement pipe,
but I was waiting till the air stopped working. As the gas gets low, the preassure switch’s will disable the compressor, so it won’t damage it,
That’s when I will replace it and get it re-charged correctly,

To have the hose repaired, or replaced (if it’s still available),
And to be re-gassed, you possibly won’t get much change out of $1000

PS: The hose/pipe/fitting in question will be the hose/pipe/fitting on the left on the car,
The one under the alternator pulley.

Attachments

• 774E5396-C6F1-4BD2-962E-211496365CF0.jpeg
    774E5396-C6F1-4BD2-962E-211496365CF0.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 63E13FC3-BC04-41B3-AA21-EFB4F03E6F33.jpeg
    63E13FC3-BC04-41B3-AA21-EFB4F03E6F33.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I currently have the same issue on my L77 Calais Wagon,
I first noticed the oil on the high pressure pipe, and the air con wasn’t as cold, I degreased the area in question,
So I got a top up tin of refrigerant gas and that fixed it,
But since noticed the refrigerant oil again, and double checked it with UV torch and confirmed it was air con oil (being fluorescent in Color to show leaks),
It also confirmed where it is leaking, at the compression fitting of the pipe and rubber hose,
I rang around and spoke to an Enzed hose repairer, and took the car to them to show them the pipe in question and they quoted me $180-$200 to repair it off the car,
Last year I rang a now ex-Holden dealer and the pipe was still available, so I ordered and purchased the replacement pipe,
but I was waiting till the air stopped working. As the gas gets low, the preassure switch’s will disable the compressor, so it won’t damage it,
That’s when I will replace it and get it re-charged correctly,

To have the hose repaired, or replaced (if it’s still available),
And to be re-gassed, you possibly won’t get much change out of $1000

PS: The hose/pipe/fitting in question will be the hose/pipe/fitting on the left on the car.
$1k to regas is crazy!!

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Refridge mechanics are not cheap.

I am estimating that would include the repairs and re-gass.

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Refridge mechanics are not cheap.
On my other car, replacing all the o rings and regassing (dual circuit car at that) was just under $400

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
On my other car, replacing all the o rings and regassing (dual circuit car at that) was just under $400

That’s sounds about right,
Replace the o-rings,
Vac the system down,
Check for leaks over 1/2hour
Then re-gass it and test it for leaks under pressure when operating.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
yeah some of it is not cheap, i have the similar issue on the zb
20220819-172449.jpg

i am looking at around 800 to repair and regas :(