Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak under alternator L77

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
That will be aircon fluid, wipe the pipe on the right side of that picture with paper towel and if it has a green color then your ac pipe is leaking at the connector between the rubber hose and metal pipe.

Dont run the aircon until you get it repaired.
Thanks. Yep it's green on the right hose although I wiped the left hose and it's black.
Sigh.

So it sounds like basically I'm up for a new hose &regas worst case which might be $800 best case a hose part say $200 or so.

Pretty poor stuff, never seen a cars AC go after 58k!

Now I have half an idea I'll get it booked in, thanks guys

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I currently have the same issue on my L77 Calais Wagon,
I first noticed the oil on the high pressure pipe, and the air con wasn’t as cold, I degreased the area in question,
So I got a top up tin of refrigerant gas and that fixed it,
But since noticed the refrigerant oil again, and double checked it with UV torch and confirmed it was air con oil (being fluorescent in Color to show leaks),
It also confirmed where it is leaking, at the compression fitting of the pipe and rubber hose,
I rang around and spoke to an Enzed hose repairer, and took the car to them to show them the pipe in question and they quoted me $180-$200 to repair it off the car,
Last year I rang a now ex-Holden dealer and the pipe was still available, so I ordered and purchased the replacement pipe,
but I was waiting till the air stopped working. As the gas gets low, the preassure switch’s will disable the compressor, so it won’t damage it,
That’s when I will replace it and get it re-charged correctly,

To have the hose repaired, or replaced (if it’s still available),
And to be re-gassed, you possibly won’t get much change out of $1000

PS: The hose/pipe/fitting in question will be the hose/pipe/fitting on the left on the car,
The one under the alternator pulley.
Hey mate, you said Enzed quoted
you $180-200 to repair the pipe off
the car, so the one that you got off
the ex Holden dealer must have been cheaper? So how much was it? Cheers.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hey mate, you said Enzed quoted
you $180-200 to repair the pipe off
the car, so the one that you got off
the ex Holden dealer must have been cheaper? So how much was it? Cheers.
The OEM one was $220 inc gst,
I went that way because the Air was still working, and when I get it fixed, it can be done in one day,
As Enzed said, it would take a couple of days to repair the hose, not sure why a couple of days, and expensive, as its only 300mm of hose and 2 crimps that needs to be replaced,
but I figured, when I do replace the faulty pipe/s,
I will get the old one fixed, and keep it as a spare,
as that the new one doesn't seem as strong/sturdy as the original one.

Image attached to show where mine are leaking on the original hose, (high pressure side)

Attachments

• Air Conditioning Manifold and Hoses_leak.jpg
    Air Conditioning Manifold and Hoses_leak.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
yeah some of it is not cheap, i have the similar issue on the zb
20220819-172449.jpg

i am looking at around 800 to repair and regas :(

Stooge get them to check the condenser also. It WILL be leaking no doubt about it. Trust me you'll want to make sure they've checked the condenser at the lower right side also. (that's lower drivers side of the condenser where the hoses connect to it.) ..........thank me later.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Stooge get them to check the condenser also. It WILL be leaking no doubt about it. Trust me you'll want to make sure they've checked the condenser also.

Yeah we are going to go over the whole system.

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Well update to my story; air con hose is stuffed as predicted. Local auto electrician $695 for their custom part installed, fitted Inc regas of the aircon. They said they do a car every couple of weeks approaching summer on the VE/VF range but the issue dates back to VT. He also said if you replace it with OEM it wouldn't be much cheaper and I'd be back in 50k kms again.

Apparently it's simply a garbage component part that a few OEMs use or variants of and they're all crap and break.

This is as bad as The FG Falcon diff bushes!