Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Calais suspension differences

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
If you think FE1 with 19" rims is unbearable I have a magic carpet to sell you that glides through the air

To be honest, I am happy with the FE1.5 setup on my car on my daily run-arounds. But the car feels unnecessarily stiff (for a 'luxury' spec) on some 'well maintained' Sydney roads. Hence the 'borderline' tag ;)

The91kwbeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
To be honest, I am happy with the FE1.5 setup on my car on my daily run-arounds. But the car feels unnecessarily stiff (for a 'luxury' spec) on some 'well maintained' Sydney roads. Hence the 'borderline' tag ;)
VF Calais doesn't use FE1.5, it uses FE1 different set up

I actually wish it did use FE1.5 in the V8 per my post above, the power levels can outrun the suspension through corners

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The compliance plate in the engine bay will tell you what suspension package was fitting at the factory.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The compliance plate in the engine bay will tell you what suspension package was fitting at the factory.
IIUC the compliance plate isn’t 100% accurate in identifying subtle differences in the suspension tune between models with outwardly the same factory suspension packages.

For example, both the Motorsport Edition and the Director Edition have FE3 listed on the compliance plate. IIRC both have the same MRC suspension and calibration but the Director has a softer rear subframe bush.

Such subtleties are academic if one is only interested in ride height comparisons as seems the case for the OP. In that context the FE version can be related to ride height but aftermarket springs and shocks can achieve a desired ride height.

For anyone interested in subtleties between the bushes, sway bars, shocks and springs for the various FE tunes, such factors only shows up on VIN parts search and only if the original parts haven’t been supeceeded by the mass produced lower tune parts… which will be a problem going forward….

So i wonder if the stiffer Motorsport edition subframe bush have been obsoleted yet and replaced with the redline or even evoke subframe bush…

PS: for ride heights, the RVD has such info specified within the suspension data sextion of the doc. Various docs are available for the model variant while some docs include a few variances within the one doc… There is no reference to the FE tune within the RVD.

Here’s an example

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
IIUC the compliance plate isn’t 100% accurate in identifying subtle differences in the suspension tune between models with outwardly the same factory suspension packages.

For example, both the Motorsport Edition and the Director Edition have FE3 listed on the compliance plate. IIRC both have the same MRC suspension and calibration but the Director has a softer rear subframe bush.

Such subtleties are academic if one is only interested in ride height comparisons as seems the case for the OP. In that context the FE version can be related to ride height but aftermarket springs and shocks can achieve a desired ride height.

For anyone interested in subtleties between the bushes, sway bars, shocks and springs for the various FE tunes, such factors only shows up on VIN parts search and only if the original parts haven’t been supeceeded by the mass produced lower tune parts… which will be a problem going forward….

So i wonder if the stiffer Motorsport edition subframe bush have been obsoleted yet and replaced with the redline or even evoke subframe bush…

PS: for ride heights, the RVD has such info specified within the suspension data sextion of the doc. Various docs are available for the model variant while some docs include a few variances within the one doc… There is no reference to the FE tune within the RVD.

Here’s an example [/URL]
I never found the part number for the sub frame bush on the Motorsport. It listed the same part for Redline and special editions but I think that was Part finder not showing correct information.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I never found the part number for the sub frame bush on the Motorsport. It listed the same part for Redline and special editions but I think that was Part finder not showing correct information.
It was one of the differences highlighted to the dealers via the docs Holden provided them. So there should be a specific and different part number for the motorsports editions subframe bush. Lets hope it wasn't just porkies and that it's still available.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
It was one of the differences highlighted to the dealers via the docs Holden provided them. So there should be a specific and different part number for the motorsports editions subframe bush. Lets hope it wasn't just porkies and that it's still available.
I don't think it was porkies. The engineers did say they were stiffer in the Mortorsport. I have looked at this before and noticed all three models have the same rear sub frame. Motorsport, redline and Director from the boms I have - CRADLE ASM-RR SUSP 92288014. I have never seen the name or part number for the stiffer bush used. So unless you know the part number or the name other than BUSH, I can search the BOM.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't think it was porkies. The engineers did say they were stiffer in the Mortorsport. I have looked at this before and noticed all three models have the same rear sub frame. Motorsport, redline and Director from the boms I have - CRADLE ASM-RR SUSP 92288014. I have never seen the name or part number for the stiffer bush used. So unless you know the part number or the name other than BUSH, I can search the BOM.
The sales docs simply call it subframe bush.

Can't be too many bushes in the subframe or is it that Holden only sells the whole subframe and not the individual bushes?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
The sales docs simply call it subframe bush.

Can't be too many bushes in the subframe or is it that Holden only sells the whole subframe and not the individual bushes?

My recollection is (but I could be wrong) was the difference was in the bump stop fitted to the Motorsport editions.