Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy to replace the ZB?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah there is nothing wrong with an ev imo and for the people that want to see the extreme end of an ev than look no further than the hoonitron lol

& he drives it, as it should be driven! (kidding). ;)

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
I test drove a Polestar 2 recently. I wouldn't buy one. Not because it's an EV, but as a car it doesn't suit.
Big on the outside, small and cramped inside. Rough ride (my VX is rough as guts. The Polestar is different but rough).
It's not as "refined" as the price suggests. I mentioned the ride to the demo guy. He said the suspension IS adjustable. So I asked where in the menus was ride type. His answer: "Well you have to remove each wheel and adjust a screw on each shock absorber..." The car was the premium 2 motor 4WD model by the way.
But it went good! Easiest way to carve up Canberra's "20% below the limit" traffic. The accelerator certainly clears cars from the rearvision mirror quickly!

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Grab a 308 an old FD Victor/Ventora whack on a flame thrower kit...and live the dream.... or jack it up and paint it green ...Thats the bad thing about modern independent rear suspensions ,spacing the subframe is likely a big no no... Everyones going low...when jacked/lifted up they start to look like muscle....Sad...you dont see too many jacked up rear ends these days...Whens the last time you saw a street machine jacked....lol

Last edited:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Your horn will be the tweet bird.
Get that new car “musk” into ya.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Jeepers that's even more than I thought. The energy retailers must love the push to EVs! They're probably lobbying for them behind the scenes :)

I thought exactly the same thing !
People complain about petrol prices, and Pollution and greenhouse gasses,
Umm, so how is energy produced to charge the EV Cars,
Either way Petrol and EV, both produce some sort of pollution.
Don't go into solar and wind farms, No, they don't produce pollution,
But the maintenance and the repairs will be astronomical,
And who pays for that, YOU, the customer, with your electricity bill/s.

Also, with the amount of EV out there, the Electrical infostructure needs to be upgraded to cater for the demand,
if it doesn't, there will be blackouts, and we all complain about not having power,
Not to mention the Fires it's going to cause due to the extra demand on existing wiring within a premises.

KW/H's are not cheap now,
Especially since they have installed Smart Meters,
I still have an analogue meter, [I won't go into the details how come and why] and the power cost hasnt risen that much apart from the cost of KW/H,
so that's where that will cost the EV owners,

The EV owners say it cheaper to charge them at night, that is utter BS,
The cost per KW/H is charged at the same 24 hours a day, [called Day Rate]

The only cost difference per KW/H, is electric hot water storage systems, [Night Rate]
as they are charged at an off peak rate, btwn say 11pm and 7am [depends on how the clock is set]

It costs me approx. $80 p/w to go to work with a 120k/m round trip each day
[approx. 50min commute each way, 60k's, Wed - Fri] to the Mornington Peninsula, and that's in the Adventra.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The EV owners say it cheaper to charge them at night, that is utter BS,
The cost per KW/H is the same 24 hours a day, [called Day Rate]

The only cost difference per KW/H, is electric hot water storage systems, [Night Rate]

are you implying that a "hot water system" is charged at a different rate than the rest of the house at any given time?

i do about 550km per week for work and it is around the $100~$150 mark depending on fuel price but in a ev i could do that without a weekly cost at all so i would be saving that per week but i would be paying that upfront on the higher price of the ev but being a work commuter i should see that upfront cost returned fairly quickly.

Last edited:

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
are you implying that a "hot water system" is charged at a different rate than the rest of the house at any given time?
Many houses have access to Time of Use Tariffs. Here in Adelaide, peak times are 6am - 10am and 3pm - 1am. Peak power for me is $0.38/kWh.

Solar sponge (10am - 3pm) power is $0.22/kWh; overnight off peak is $0.25/kWh.

A Model 3 has a range of 491km and a battery capacity of 60 kWh - to fully charge it (assuming no solar) would range from $13.20 to $22.80 - even allowing an extra 10% for charging losses this is still dirt cheap, compared to the $80 it cost me to 3/4 fill the ZB yesterday.