Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What's my VS worth?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Unfortunately, I need to sell my VS after needing a new car for the baby and having no room to store it which has resulted in the paint going to ****.
I have an ad up on FB marketplace asking for offers, had everything from $250 to $2K, and over 20 people interested in less than 24hrs.

I'm hoping I can get a little advice on what I should expect for it.

This is the ad:
1996 VS Holden Commodore Executive
3.8L Ecotec
Factory 5-speed Getrag Gearbox
Pacemaker Extractors
Cold Air Intake
Alpine Headunit
17" Aluminium Dragway Wheels

The car runs although it will not pass a roadworthy in its current condition Too low, too loud, minor rust in the spare wheel well and in rear quarter panels just below the taillights.

The odometer has stopped so the kilometers are an estimate, it has probably done a little less than 350K.

The engine has seen better days but still runs, it was my daily driver only up until about 2 months ago.

The paint is no good. The car hasn't been in any major accidents.

Will be sold unregistered
Make an offer.
Needs more car wash photos. Put on the ad reluctant sale but not in a hurry as well. Should be able to ask $10k. The other way to move it quick is to put first to see will buy.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I have been looking at the BMW, Audi, Mercedes cars. What scares me is that when something goes wrong the repair bills can be astronomical. As we only need the back seat for the dog the Toyota 86 is looking good.
Yes, they're a bit more expensive than a Japanese or Aussie car when it comes to running costs but most of the big repair nightmares are usually because of poor maintenance... That being said, there are Euro cars out there which weren't designed properly from the start...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Needs more car wash photos. Put on the ad reluctant sale but not in a hurry as well. Should be able to ask $10k. The other way to move it quick is to put first to see will buy.
I don't think it will ever move off the classifieds if it was listed for that much...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes, they're a bit more expensive than a Japanese or Aussie car when it comes to running costs but most of the big repair nightmares are usually because of poor maintenance... That being said, there are Euro cars out there which weren't designed properly from the start...
Like this one? I just can’t get on board with such a retarded design. If your doing the job yourself the cost isn’t such a huge issue but if I was doing this job on my own car I’d be making voodoo dolls of the stupid ”engineers” that designed such a stupid piece of shite!

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Like this one? I just can’t get on board with such a retarded design. If your doing the job yourself the cost isn’t such a huge issue but if I was doing this job on my own car I’d be making voodoo dolls of the stupid ”engineers” that designed such a stupid piece of shite!

That's an E46 with the mighty M54 and the Car Wizard really dislikes BMW's, though most of this video is set around the cooling system, which is made out of recycled plastic and fails all the time... If you do an overhaul of the cooling system (kit is like $400), then this BMW should be good for another 100,000km, provided that it's been well maintained...

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
You mean something that's 20 years old with close to 300,000kms? Lucky to get 50,000km's out of it. 150k on the dial is the max you should buy a used car with.
Friend in Sydney traded their old Mazda cx7 in for a Prado & the dealer gave him $3000. What a joke. The car market, like all markets, has been overcome by greed. None of this will end well.

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
You mean something that's 20 years old with close to 300,000kms? Lucky to get 50,000km's out of it. 150k on the dial is the max you should buy a used car with.
Friend in Sydney traded their old Mazda cx7 in for a Prado & the dealer gave him $3000. What a joke. The car market, like all markets, has been overcome by greed. None of this will end well.
Wouldn't buy a car with that many kays, and most cars are worn out by then... I'd buy a decently maintained BMW with less than 200,000km and do the cooling system overhaul, which should last a while...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's an E46 with the mighty M54 and the Car Wizard really dislikes BMW's, though most of this video is set around the cooling system, which is made out of recycled plastic and fails all the time... If you do an overhaul of the cooling system (kit is like $400), then this BMW should be good for another 100,000km, provided that it's been well maintained...
He's very biased towards BMW. The coolant expansion tank is the biggest problem but if you replace it and the cap every 80-100k it's fine. Like a 90 buck, 30 minute job. The rest is radiator, hoses and the block which tend to fail like anything else

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I see you've been conditioned well