Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIC: RECOVERED: MY17 SSV Redline Sportwagon AMG156 - Monash University, Clayton, VIC

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I'm wondering where joy riders learned the tech and had the gear to bypass the security system, and isn't the typical drug fueled scum bag joy rider behaviour. Most of them typically break into houses and steal the keys.

That’s what I find concerning - it’s joyriders using pretty sophisticated techniques to steal cars.

Definitely some technology creep happening where some joyriders are finding the security technology easy enough to bypass.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Don't hang your keys by the front door, close to where the car is.
This.

In our house no keys get left on kitchen tables, near doors, in bowls/hooks etc.

Our car keys go in our bedside table drawers while we sleep and for the cars not regularly driven in a safe. If they want the keys they can take them from me by force....if your going to take one of my possessions your gonna have to work for it.

It dumbfounds me when people hang their keys on a hook right by the door, especially doors with glass where someone could just smash and grab without even entering the house.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Where was it found ?
And what condition was it in ?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
learned the tech and had the gear to bypass the security system

plenty of forms that contain hacking information out there and most of the hacks will utilize common off the shelf tools like arduino/rpi boards.
they even have tutorials on how to build and program the tools and the total cost to make it will probably be around $100~$200.

normally they are all found within tor so everyone remains hidden.
i would suspect the tools being used on the vf here were probably developed to target the ss in the usa.

Don't hang your keys by the front door, close to where the car is.

you can actually build devices that allow you to receive signals over longer distances, much like the cantenna idea for wifi but designed for the frequency you wish to target.
theoretically they could use such a device and relay the signal vehicle<>key and gain access.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Recovered but flogged to ****. Sad to see it. Rear tires were new and now they are bald. Every panel has damage.

Where was it found/recovered ?

Surely it repairable?

Possible the Trans could be knacked, but that can be fixed.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Read post 93
OP didn't state where it was found,

When I asked what condition it was in, I was mealy asking if it had been torched.
I sort of gathered it would have been thrashed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... When I asked what condition it was in, I was mealy asking if it had been torched.
I sort of gathered it would have been thrashed.
@Leon771 said every panel was damaged but not how bad each panel was damage.

Pictures of the damaged car would be interesting to see just to get an idea what these low life’s did to what would have been a nice machine.

As for mechanicals, I‘d hope the driveline could cope with a bit of a thrashing given that it’s supposed to be a performance vehicle but some indication of it’s condition would also be interesting.

Tyres, brake pads and rotors (and clutch if it was a manual which it isn’t IIRC) could need replacing depending on the level of mechanical abuse suffered. That puts damage of just these things at more than an insurance claim excess making a claim worth while.

I’d guess if anything will make it a write off, It’d be bad panel damage on every panel and not the few mechanical issues that would need to be resolved.

Again pictures from OP would be nice for us curious forum members.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
This.

In our house no keys get left on kitchen tables, near doors, in bowls/hooks etc.

Our car keys go in our bedside table drawers while we sleep and for the cars not regularly driven in a safe. If they want the keys they can take them from me by force....if your going to take one of my possessions your gonna have to work for it.

It dumbfounds me when people hang their keys on a hook right by the door, especially doors with glass where someone could just smash and grab without even entering the house.

When people (it's usually not one) come into your house to take the car you may think differently.

If things get out of hand, you may not think a 1994 VR or 2012 Thunder is worth the safety or life of yourself and your family.

As much as I love my cars, I'm not willing to die for them.

My keys are located in a bowl in the kitchen and can be accessed via three entry points, the front door, the garage door and the patio doors, all well removed from the bedrooms.

I have insurance to replace the cars, I'm not sure if human body replacements are available yet.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I have insurance to replace the cars, I'm not sure if human body replacements are available yet
Everyones different, I don't have kids, I don't have to think about putting them first etc.

A daily driver etc, sure I'll let that go and yes insurance will replace it. Cars that I've spent a decade on full of blood sweat and tears isn't as replacable by insurance. To me those things I value almost as much as my own life, because they are my life.

I'll use my last breath to defend certain things like that. Same as how my old man built his dream house over 20 years and stayed to defend his property until the SA bushfires of 2020 were mere metres from his house, he was prepared to die that day.....he was willing to die to protect something he had 1/4 of his life in that he built brick by brick, to him there was no question about staying.

When I was in a bad accident in one of my old cars many years ago, and had ambulances waiting to cart me to hospital while I was bleeding, badly, I refused to leave regardless of my medical condition until I knew exactly where my car was going, how it was going to be looked after etc. I had salvage rights on that car and until I knew it was going to be safely back at my garage I wasn't stepping foot in an ambulance and leaving the crash scene, that was my priority.

Insurance can't replace some things, you take a calculated risk to defend it and for some people it's worth it.

Last edited: