Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIC: RECOVERED: MY17 SSV Redline Sportwagon AMG156 - Monash University, Clayton, VIC

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Maybe it's just something to do with aging and changing priorities, or at least in my case where life becomes more precious and material goods not so much.

Each to their own.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
When people (it's usually not one) come into your house to take the car you may think differently.

If things get out of hand, you may not think a 1994 VR or 2012 Thunder is worth the safety or life of yourself and your family.

As much as I love my cars, I'm not willing to die for them.

My keys are located in a bowl in the kitchen and can be accessed via three entry points, the front door, the garage door and the patio doors, all well removed from the bedrooms.

I have insurance to replace the cars, I'm not sure if human body replacements are available yet.

Caught car thieves on two separate occasions trying to steal my car and a girlfriends car. My car, the guy ended up in hospital with a broken nose, dislocated shoulder and bruised ribs. By the way, he did fight back when I caught him, by trying to punch me with the car key between his knuckles. I escaped being charged with assault. So there's that.

Girlfriends car. Caught a guy getting into it and gave him a bit of a touch up. Let's just say he was lucky the girlfriend intervened.

Hindsight:- both occasions could have ended badly for all involved. Loss of life, imprisonment, leaving wife and kids to deal with aftermath, etc. Yeah, been there done that, and in hindsight perhaps I could of handled things differently, but F@#k, the old adrenalin can take over to the detriment.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
As mentioned by others, aitrag can be an interesting and cheap option to be able to find your stolen car.

But it needs a tweak to be effective :p

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
As mentioned by others, aitrag can be an interesting and cheap option to be able to find your stolen car.

But it needs a tweak to be effective :p

i like how the stalkers quickly worked out a way to remove the speaker lol

they are pretty cool, im not an apple user but i am sure i heard that if you have an iphone or apple device on you and one of these tags is following you that you will start to get notifications about the tag following you if it is not your tag.
if they have an apple device in their pocket they will be alerted about it.

android implemented this but i dont know if it alerts to the apple airtag.

my question would be that if people are using these types of devices for this reason then the crims will know that there is a high possibility they would encounter one so if they were to go about establishing the hacks for the vehicle security system wouldnt someone have made something to detect these types of tags or jam them.
they operate using bluetooth and uwb and there are lots of hacky tools for these protocols so it wouldnt be too hard for them to screw around with it.

still its probably better to have one then not have one and if it does alert them they might bail out of the vehicle and leave it instead of flogging it out for a day or two.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I saw on one of the FB groups the other day, a guy had his redline stolen, chased them, lost them but then some how managed to find/recover the car. He posted a picture and said his drivers wheel liner had all be hacked so they could access the loom on the other side of the wheel liner, near where the DRL would be.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I saw on one of the FB groups the other day, a guy had his redline stolen, chased them, lost them but then some how managed to find/recover the car. He posted a picture and said his drivers wheel liner had all be hacked so they could access the loom on the other side of the wheel liner, near where the DRL would be.

I read something similar on Facebook today, but in the case I read the car wasn’t actually stolen as the owner disturbed the thieves and they drove off in another car (which was also a VF). He mentioned that they ripped the wheel liner on the driver’s side (I’m not 100% on if it was the driver’s side or the passenger side?) trying to access something.

It does raise some concern that some sort of weakness of vulnerable exists in that area. One person speculated that it might have been a form of the old short-the-indicator-out-to-disable-the-alarm trick? Who knows, but there seems to be several accounts of this happening.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
fusebox behind the right wheel