Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing your own tyre changes and balancing

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I find it unbelievable that people would even think a place would provide a warranty on parts the customer supplies, especially tyres. Tell to go elsewhere if they want warranty, surely no business would offer one?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The common problem I strike is, a person brings in tyres that are illegal to fit to their car and when it is explained I can't fit the wrong size to the car, I'm called all the names under the sun..I can fit them to loose rims but not to the car....
In my case, I had spare rims for the Cross6, and bought 2 matching spare tyres from a well known Sydney shop, delivered to my door.
The tyres were Chinese Pace, (which are surprisingly good for wear and grip) but not a readily available brand.
I was not after a warranty, I was polite in asking, explained why I bought them 'online', but was given the abrupt bum's rush by half a dozen places, and didn't resort to abuse.
Can't remember where I got them fitted, but I know I paid a bit more for fitting and balancing than usual, which is just 1,000% profit for the shop.
But, buy tyres online again ........... no way.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In my case, I had spare rims for the Cross6, and bought 2 matching spare tyres from a well known Sydney shop, delivered to my door.
The tyres were Chinese Pace, (which are surprisingly good for wear and grip) but not a readily available brand.
I was not after a warranty, I was polite in asking, explained why I bought them 'online', but was given the abrupt bum's rush by half a dozen places, and didn't resort to abuse.
Can't remember where I got them fitted, but I know I paid a bit more for fitting and balancing than usual, which is just 1,000% profit for the shop.
But, buy tyres online again ........... no way.

Unfortunately some stores are fed up with abuse that have come from fitting customers own tyres, so they put a blanket rule across the lot.....So as they say, it only takes one moron to stuff it up for everyone else....

I'm not referring to you as being that moron or the abusive person...Far from it....So don't think I'm pointing the finger at you....

And yes, it is common practice for stores to charge more to fit own when it comes to it....They loose money by not ordering direct from the supplier...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I find it unbelievable that people would even think a place would provide a warranty on parts the customer supplies, especially tyres. Tell to go elsewhere if they want warranty, surely no business would offer one?

You'd be surprised.....They read something online or their mate said something and that's it...On for young and old and it's the poor prick manning the counter that wears it....

In the situation of online purchases....If there is an issue with the tyre, they go to a store and jump up and down wanting something done about it....Makes for some interesting conversations to say the least

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
That is if you can find a shop to fit the tyres.
They are reluctant to just fit, citing consumer warranty, OHS, tyre integrity, and climate change as reasons for you to go away.

An issue that often crops up fitting a customers own tyres is, they want a warranty and when you say we won't supply one with your own tyres, they crack their rags with you, calling you all the names under the sun, because we want to protect our asses....

So alot of shops are just flatly refusing to fit your own supplied tyres to save half the abuse....

The common problem I strike is, a person brings in tyres that are illegal to fit to their car and when it is explained I can't fit the wrong size to the car, I'm called all the names under the sun..I can fit them to loose rims but not to the car....

The worst part is, if I retaliate by telling them to "f" off d/h, I get in the crap....

I am sure the same thing occurs at other shops, so a good chance is they flatly refuse to fit own supplied tyres to save a bit of a head truck
Yea, I went to 3 shops trying to get a tyre (2nd hand) fitted for my box trailer.
One bloke laughed and said really, you sure it is not going on the commodore you are driving ?
I said no, would you like me to bring the trailer in, but he just laughed again, so I said do you do vehicle servicing, and he said yes, and I said don't ever expect to see me again.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I'm not referring to you as being that moron or the abusive person...Far from it....So don't think I'm pointing the finger at you....
Yeah, no worries, I realise that, I was just relating personal experience, which was money for jam when I found a fitter.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yea, I went to 3 shops trying to get a tyre (2nd hand) fitted for my box trailer.
One bloke laughed and said really, you sure it is not going on the commodore you are driving ?
I said no, would you like me to bring the trailer in, but he just laughed again, so I said do you do vehicle servicing, and he said yes, and I said don't ever expect to see me again.

We have to be cautious fitting tyres to rims....

Generally what is done is the receipt has printed on it "fitted to loose rim"...This covers our asses.

Otherwise there are pricks out there (and no not you) that will try claiming we fitted the wrong tyre and rim onto their car if a problem pops up...ie accident/copper pulling them up.

So you might have felt offended by the comment made, but I see it as the fella covering his ass.....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yeah, no worries, I realise that, I was just relating personal experience, which was money for jam when I found a fitter.

I do feel sorry for people like yourself trying to save a buck, doing the right thing but getting mucked around....All because of a few idiots....

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It is a shame, we have become very much like America, whereby people want to find a way to sue people just for farting in the wrong direction....

We have hard working people that just want to buy tyres of their own choice, get them put on their car and get along with life....But because of a few bad eggs doing the wrong thing themselves, the majority of us hard workers suffer as a result.....

Makes life way more difficult than it should be...

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It is a shame, we have become very much like America, whereby people want to find a way to sue people just for farting in the wrong direction....

We have hard working people that just want to buy tyres of their own choice, get them put on their car and get along with life....But because of a few bad eggs doing the wrong thing themselves, the majority of us hard workers suffer as a result.....

Makes life way more difficult than it should be...

Nah, there are just some entitled a-holes out there that expect everything to go their way. It doesn’t matter if it’s tyre fitting or whatever.

Some people just like to cry poor/foul/victim no matter what. I can well understand business and individuals giving them a wide berth.