Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing your own tyre changes and balancing

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Still recall the first time I ever changed a spark plug. It belonged to one of the teachers & I anaged to break 2 of them in the process. At least he got new plugs.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yep, bin doing it since the 60's.
Unscrew the valve, lay the wheel flat preferably on solid ground, then drive over the tyre and the bead will break.
Easy in an automatic car cause you can drive with the door open to regulate where you run over the tyre.

Sometimes you have to go forward and back maybe more than once with today's tyres and rims.

Turn the wheel over and repeat the performance.
Not recommended with mags on your car but doable just the same, and/or if you are not a good driver :)

That certainly is one way to do it...

I have also done it using the old bumperbar jack......

The ex-father inlaw had a manual bead breaker....Bits of steel bolted together that was used as his bead breaker....Gave the old arms a good workout.....He lived 30K from the nearest town, so saved a few bucks using that

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
That certainly is one way to do it...

I have also done it using the old bumperbar jack......

The ex-father inlaw had a manual bead breaker....Bits of steel bolted together that was used as his bead breaker....Gave the old arms a good workout.....He lived 30K from the nearest town, so saved a few bucks using that
And if you are old enough you will remember the slide bead breaker used in 50's-60's, like a slide hammer in reverse.
No wonder people were fit in those days.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
SCA sell cheap tyre changes. I've considered one but I don't changes enough tyres to warrant another piece in the shed that gets used once every six years.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And if you are old enough you will remember the slide bead breaker used in 50's-60's, like a slide hammer in reverse.
No wonder people were fit in those days.

That style is still used to this day.....Mainly on truck/machinery tyres out in the field....

Have had a few nasty looks using them outside peoples places late at night/early in the morning having to do tyre work......Still don't know why :)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
SCA sell cheap tyre changes. I've considered one but I don't changes enough tyres to warrant another piece in the shed that gets used once every six years.

Those things I wouldn't use on my pushbike....

Seen them being used and they're fuggin useless pieces of crap...(Excuse the French, but that's the best way to describe them)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
A couple of old tablespoons, with rounded handle ends work fine for pushy tires.

Yes, used to use them and my backside is starting to ache remembering what used to happen to me when the old lady found out... :)