Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing your own tyre changes and balancing

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Nah, there are just some entitled a-holes out there that expect everything to go their way. It doesn’t matter if it’s tyre fitting or whatever.

Some people just like to cry poor/foul/victim no matter what. I can well understand business and individuals giving them a wide berth.

And it's those entitled a-holes that will go the money route when things don't go their way....So businesses have to take the hard line in what they do to protect what they have.....

And it's the innocient people that end up suffering because of these a-holes, no matter the business.

It all stems from the American way....Sue first, ask questions later

Last edited:

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
My mechanic is about half the price of tyre resellers. I just took it to him last time. That of course didn't change the fact the tyre rod was buggered.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
We have to be cautious fitting tyres to rims....

Generally what is done is the receipt has printed on it "fitted to loose rim"...This covers our asses.

Otherwise there are pricks out there (and no not you) that will try claiming we fitted the wrong tyre and rim onto their car if a problem pops up...ie accident/copper pulling them up.

So you might have felt offended by the comment made, but I see it as the fella covering his ass.....
Yep, I fully understand that but this bod had no PR skills.
His best statement to me should have been
Sorry we don't fit second hand tyres or tyres we don't sell
As it was, the next 2 shops I asked if they would fit a second hand tyre to a wheel for my trailer, answer no, so I went home, cracked a beer, and did it myself.
Learned a lesson though, don't buy second hand tyres unless I am prepared to fit them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have a SH tyre to fit as a spare for my bike trailer. I think the local garage will fit it, but if not he will at least strip the rim. Then I can wrestle it on myself.

Reactions: Lex

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
We learned how to do it in highschool. Problem is, you need the tools.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
We learned how to do it in highschool. Problem is, you need the tools.

2 levers, a rubber mallet, a block of wood, some soap and a car.....

Easy peasey

Cost...Miss take away and coffee for 1 day

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Drive the car on to break the bead....
Yep, bin doing it since the 60's.
Unscrew the valve, lay the wheel flat preferably on solid ground, then drive over the tyre and the bead will break.
Easy in an automatic car cause you can drive with the door open to regulate where you run over the tyre.

Sometimes you have to go forward and back maybe more than once with today's tyres and rims.

Turn the wheel over and repeat the performance.
Not recommended with mags on your car but doable just the same, and/or if you are not a good driver :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Yep, bin doing it since the 60's.
Unscrew the valve, lay the wheel flat preferably on solid ground, then drive over the tyre and the bead will break.
Easy in an automatic car cause you can drive with the door open to regulate where you run over the tyre.

Sometimes you have to go forward and back maybe more than once with today's tyres and rims.

Turn the wheel over and repeat the performance.
Not recommended with mags on your car but doable just the same, and/or if you are not a good driver :)
How well does your car drive on 3 wheels?