Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing your own tyre changes and balancing

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Would love to know people’s thoughts on this seemingly simple method for balancing the wheel at home.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I actually watched this a few days ago, prepping for after I finish my rims.

I like the balancing mech and mod he does, very clever if you have the patience.

Need to get the fitting jig me thinks, better then using tyre levels on the rim.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Would love to know people’s thoughts on this seemingly simple method for balancing the wheel at home.

The tyre changer was ok.
The wheel balancer was a bit dodgy, from new. How many people have lathes & 3D printers at home to fix the balancer?

I've been seeing used tyre changers & balancers on marketplace & thinking about doing the tyre change at home.
The reason for this thinking is they want $60.00 just to put tyres on & balance them. This is if your not buying new tyres.
Not a problem if buying new tyres. They will fit and balance for the price of the new tyres.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I actually watched this a few days ago, prepping for after I finish my rims.

I like the balancing mech and mod he does, very clever if you have the patience.

Need to get the fitting jig me thinks, better then using tyre levels on the rim.
My thoughts too, especially when l was doing my rims for polishing.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I used to mount my motorbike tyres in the workshop on my lunch break. Then after work I would set up the wheel and axle on a pair of axle stands, check for rolling in 3 positions around the rim and call it good.
Mounted car drag tyres at work too. They don't get balanced.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Glanced over the video and the balancing method is old school.....As in 1970's old school (or there abouts)

Does work but with modern stuff can still get a slight shimmy through the steering wheel.....

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Glanced over the video and the balancing method is old school.....As in 1970's old school (or there abouts)
Yep, that was the way ...... way back like 1960's, with 640 x13 tyres on 4.5 inch rims. (me reminiscing about Dad's work utes and my Mk2 Zephyr)
Rough enough was close enough as the balance wasn't that critical. Corregations and stones hid any deficiency in balance accuracy.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The reason for this thinking is they want $60.00 just to put tyres on & balance them. This is if your not buying new tyres.
That is if you can find a shop to fit the tyres.
They are reluctant to just fit, citing consumer warranty, OHS, tyre integrity, and climate change as reasons for you to go away.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
An issue that often crops up fitting a customers own tyres is, they want a warranty and when you say we won't supply one with your own tyres, they crack their rags with you, calling you all the names under the sun, because we want to protect our asses....

So alot of shops are just flatly refusing to fit your own supplied tyres to save half the abuse....

The common problem I strike is, a person brings in tyres that are illegal to fit to their car and when it is explained I can't fit the wrong size to the car, I'm called all the names under the sun..I can fit them to loose rims but not to the car....

The worst part is, if I retaliate by telling them to "f" off d/h, I get in the crap....

I am sure the same thing occurs at other shops, so a good chance is they flatly refuse to fit own supplied tyres to save a bit of a head truck

Last edited: